Unsung

Eric83

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

As much as I enjoy Unsung, some of their contributors exaggerate! 

Please register in order to view this content

Saying that Adina Howard paved the way for Lil Kim and Foxy Brown??  Does Millie Jackson not exist?

I love the voice of Shirley Murdoch but one contributor claimed that she was on par with Aretha Franklin...Aretha Franklin??

I give props to Crystal Waters, who didn't have the best voice but made it work well for her and carved out a career with longevity!  Is she the "Queen of House"?  I think Jocelyn Brown would have something to say about that.  If Loleatta Hathaway were still around, she could very easily contend for that title too.  But that 100% Pure Love was by far her best song. Had no idea the actor Michael K. Williams did choreography, he's a great dancer.  I wonder if he still dances?

As for Kim Wayans mocking her, In Living Color could be brutal but even Waters admitted that she sold about another 100,000 copies in the wake of that episode. FWIW, Wayans also mocked Tracy Chapman's Fast Car by singing "I Write A Fast Song". 

Glenn Jones should be interesting.  

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Members

Wait - they FINALLY did a Betty Wright episode? That's the one I've always wanted, but I remember reading a few years back that Betty wasn't interested because she didn't want to be seen as a "has-been"

Please register in order to view this content

Oh, okay, I see it premiered last night. I'm about to boot that sht up and watch it right NOW.

Lord, I'm in my feelings off the strength of the teaser alone. Damn. I love this woman so much.

Why is Trick Daddy slurring his ass through this?

Okay, let me stop live posting this lol

--- I finished, and what a wonderful episode. Not a lot of drama because Betty managed to avoid drug/alcohol abuse and also had/has a great team of people around her, mostly family. Her main problem seemed to be running to the altar with guys who looked and seemed good on the outside but were really not for her in the end.

I teared up at the end with her daughters singing back-up and her just sitting in the backyard and enjoying her life. She's always been one of the most down-to-earth and realest singing stars, and one of the things mentioned (but I don't think they really explored it) was that she made a ton of choices to stay true to herself, maybe those choices kept her from blowing up in a bigger way, but she has definitely gotten her flowers while living, and she's still young - only 66. She still has a youthful mindset, and that's helped her continue to find success decade after decade. Great episode and story.

Edited by All My Shadows

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Oh, Ms. Betty! My heart is aching! Rest In Peace, sweet legend! I’m so thankful this was produced and aired while she was still with us. I don’t know what the last month of her life was like, but I hope she was able to see all of the praise and respect this episode revived for her. It’s gonna take me a while to get over this one.

• Members

Because of series like Unsung, at least Ms. Betty Wright was able to see some measure of appreciation while she was still alive. Still, in this day and age, 66 seems like entirely too early to leave this earth.  This must surely be a painful Mother's Day for her children.  I hope it was a peaceful passage. R.I.P.

• 1 year later...