Unsung

Eric83

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That makes two of us, even though the rest of the series did have some fun moments. I remember one critic, when Hangin' With Mr. Cooper premiered, calling it kind of a cross between Three's Company (the three adult roommates, two girls and a guy) and The White Shadow (a former NBA player becomes a high school coach), with a black cast. I never did find out whether it was Dawnn Lewis' choice to leave the show. Does anyone know for sure?

• Members

I'm telling on myself, but I know LHJ best as Joe Jackson than Cochise or Freddie Boom Boom Washington. Likewise for knowing GT more as Colonel Taylor than Preach or The Former Mr. Aretha Franklin.

Didn't realize that the Captain from 21 Jump Street was in the movie.

As for Brenda, I choose to believe that she is living in obscurity as a happy wife, mother, and grandmother after deciding that Hollywood was not for her rather than what Michael Schultz said. After all, it was based on hearsay.

• Members

Oh shoot. I forgot to comment. Cooley High was really good. I prefer the Unsungs about shows as opposed to individuals, but those are good too.

When the upcoming segment showed Monty being homeless and living on the streets, I immediately knew he was cheated out of money. Lo and behold, he was. For him to get only $1 million out of a $400 million lawsuit is absolutely insane. What should he have ased for? A trillion? $400m should have at least gotten him about $25/30 mill. The courts raped him too.

Gonna watch the movie this weekend. So hard with so many good shows on Cable and Netflix now. Plus the weather is getting good.

• Members

I learned a lot about his career from that episode.

Carwash is one of those movies that always manages to find its way on network TV over the years so I've managed to see it, seemingly without trying. It's a good movie despite the fact that it is very very dated (most 70s movies are very much married to the times in which they existed, at least stylistically speaking).

But his directing career is highly intriguing. I would've never known that he directed Knots Landing and Falcon Crest.

Also, in terms of his acting, I had never even heard of that Norman Lear series he did. I wonder where the actors who played the kids are now? I know that last part sounded random.

About Cooley High:

What's funny was that I arrived home early and happened to catch the last half of the movie playing on Bounce TV. Apparently, they've been showing it.The only problem with this is that I didn't like the editing that they did for Television. The toilet scene, for instance, is really a funny scene and they cut the funniest bits!sad.png It's just best to watch the unedited version of the film.

But I decided to watch the Unsung Hollywood Cooley High episode and it provided symmetry. The last scene of the film sort of segued into the first few minutes of the docuseries episode where Eric Monte's sister talked about his desire to be a writer and the tragic incident that led him to hop a freight train to L.A.

What Monte was able to achieve is inspiring although I agree that if his name was say, Aaron Sorkin, he'd have had much more opportunity, would've been fairly compensated and work wouldn't have dried up in that manner. Glad he was able to survive it all and I'm glad he is still writing.