Gross & Perverted Soap Opera Moments

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Hollywood heavyweight" does not equate good actor. Jean-Claude Van Damme was once a heavyweight in Hollywood. Anyway.... I'm sure some have...but are we talking Chris. And I never said he hates gays, but that if he was uncomfortable kissing a man, well, tough cookies - I thought you were an actor. Suck it up, dude. You're not going to die.

If he thought it was wrong for his character, that's 100% understandable... but do your job or quit.

Oh, and he doesn't have to stop acting.... i said he can go to the Hallmark channel smile.png

• Members

Disclaimer: I don't watch Y&R, I'm only familiar with the main characters due to my interest in the soap opera genre in general, so any timing mistakes are mine and mine alone and I welcome clarification on any issue, especially timing.

And if it's a gay actor uncomfortable kissing a person of the opposite sex, you would immediately tell them to find another profession?

I know plenty of straight actors who think nothing of kissing of someone of the same sex and vice versa for a bi/gay actor kissing someone of the opposite sex. I just ask for a FAIR representation here. If Engen had decided to lead, oh say HEATHER, on, and happened to quit the show at the same time, NO ONE WOULD CARE. Yet it's the same story. Adam feigning interest in someone he's not interested in to try to weasel his way out of whatever was going on (I know of a particularly disgusting story at about that time involving Ashley's fetus *shudder*).

Maybe Engen's last straw was something else entirely and then the Y&R management villified him because there happened to be a same-sex kiss thrown in not long after. Burning a fetus sure would have burned my goat more than being asked to kiss a gorgeous woman (said as a straight woman; if I was a straight man, I would have said so).

• Members

Um, No. Simply being uncomfortable is a different thing. I'm sure many actors feel uncomfortable doing certain scenes, ect.

They get through it, though...because they're........... actors! They're playing a character.

However, if you leave a role for that reason alone (being uncomfortable), either quit acting or be in G-rated fare the rest of your career.

Like I said, I don't blame him if he thought it was wrong for his character...but I think it had more to do with Chris' distaste for kissing another man. Would he have been uncomfortable, too, and bitched if he had violent gangbang scenes with a bunch of women.... or is that OK because they don't have dicks?

• Members

The point is, no one knows what Engen's breaking point was.

Is it so hard to believe that it was something prior and it was just a matter of bad timing that he quit around the same time his character was supposed to seduce another man?

Adam, during Engen's tenure, did some disgusting things. On my list, seducing another man doesn't even rate. Is it even a little bit possible that the same held true for him and it was just a matter of bad timing, or more insidious, that TPTB decided to label him a homophobe rather than discuss more, slightly less controversial storylines he was being asked to play?

Again, I'm not saying that the gay kiss/seduction WASN'T his breaking point, but does anyone know, irrefutably that it was kissing/seducing another man?

Frank Beaty, bless his heart, had a breakdown over the Brent Lawrence/Marian Crane story on GL. Is anyone about to accuse him of being prejudiced against cross-dressers?

• Members

But you prove your point. I can't think of ANY gay actor who has ever refused to kiss someone of the opposite sex for a role. Ever. Partly of course because this may help their career if they are seen as straight--so it's different. But it simply doesn't happen. When I was an acting major I did a student workshop where I had a (brief) nude love scene with a girl. I suppose I could have balked at the nudity, butthe fact that it was with a girl didn't even make an impression.

• Members

Of course there was the example a year or two later of the woman playing Carlotta on OLTL not being comfortable supporting her son might be gay in a jokey scene, and they replaced her. In that case I know some have argued she felt her character wouldn't be comfortable with it, and that was the reasoning--nothing personal, but...

Archived