My issue with the OLTL people on GH

• Members

The people that where brought on to GH are not my favorite OLTL people. I hate Todd, John, and especially Starr.

Todd: I just can't get past the rape of Marty. If they initially wanted to keep RH after the rape I think the should have introduced his arrogant twin instead of making him a good guy.

John: He is too much like Scrappy on Scooby-doo. He looks wimpy yet they are making him heroic. When he does something really heroic I just do not buy it and I just can't stand how much his face looks like a mouse's face.

Starr: She can't act and her character is pointless.

If they should have brought people over it should have been Dorian due to the fact that she is a doctor. She could interact with Monica and the Q's. I would love to see Tracy VS Dorian. My fantasy rivalry has always been Erica VS Dorian VS Tracy. Now that I think about it GH never really had that "Erica" or "Dorian" vixen type most shows have.

I wish they would have brought over David from AMC for Anna. David/Anna/Duke sound more interesting to me than Luke/Anna/Duke.

After all what I said, I am not bothered by them as much as I thought I would but they still bother me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Truthfully, if Frank and Ron had to bring former OLTL characters over to GH, I'd much rather it be someone like Viki, or Dorian. But I get it: they brought over Todd, John, Starr et al., because they believe they had more sizable fan bases, as well as better potential for story. I don't know if I necessarily agree with the logic, since these ain't exactly my faves, but I'm willing to give the old benefit of the doubt here. I just wish Frank and Ron had come up with better stories -- not just for the OLTL'ers, but for all of GH as well.

• Members

Well I don't believe for a second those 3 have more sizable fanbases than Robin Strasser or Erika Slezak. That's like saying Thorston Kaye had a larger fanbase than Susan Lucci. They just wanted more alpha males because theses showrunners feel the men are more valuable than the women. That's not just a soap thing that's the industry. As for Starr, the show needed a young ingenue and options were limited., that's all I got there.

• Members

Frankly, Jane, I'm inclined to agree, lol. But I'm willing to concede that my opinion might be clouded by my intense disdain for, and bias against, those particular characters.

If KA/Starr was their only option, then the options weren't just limited, they were downright anemic.

• Members

I think the main problem is that they don't understand that there are soap viewers who are dedicated to a specific soap regardless of certain characters. For whatever reason they've basically been about manipulating viewers via social media and the internet in general and have made the assumption that these constitute the majority of a soap's fans. They must have been convinced that OLTL viewers primarily cared about the Mannings and John McBain and would all follow them to GH. All three of them could easily have been brought on as brand new characters if they hadn't thought that all soap viewers can be led around like mindless sheep.

• Members

While I'm fine with the three that Cartini brought over (and do wish that they'd bring on more of my OLTL faves while ridding me of the remaining GH debris), I do wish that they weren't forced to interact with the Vortex of Suck.

Poor Todd/Starr/McBain are being saddled with GH characters that are well past their prime and it's a waste of precious time for this OLTLGH viewer. Starr being stuck with punk-ass Eeyore, McBain being forced to babysit the roided goiter until it hopefully expires, and Todd having to breathe the same oxygen as the snaggletoothed skunk is not what I want to tune in to see (almost) every day.

• Members

So why would bringing an AMC character to GH be any better than bringing a OLTL character? I don't get it. I'm a GH fan and while I have watched AMC from time to time I did not see the David years and have no interest in David coming to GH. Anna already has Luke as a love interest. Duke will be back soon and it is rumored Robert is coming back as well. That's three love interests for Anna. Do you really think Anna needs a fourth?!?

Also, I don't think I'd mind Todd, John and Starr if they weren't taking up so much airtime. They are front burner characters who get contracts while GH long time favorites are still stuck on the backburner or not shown at all. It make me resent the Livers.

• Members

I think the fact that David actually has some history with Anna and is a doctor might have made it a,slightly better transition but David again is just one more alpha male. Angie, Jessie, and Frankie I still say,would have added to the canvas a heck of a lot more than anyone. They would have Immediately shored up the hospital, police dept, brought diversity to the canvas, and given the show it's first viable strong heroine in many years.

• Members

I've said this before. If this were really about bringing viewers from the canceled shows into the fold then they should've gone with one AMCer and one Liver, brought them in very slowly and given the audience the chance to accept them on their terms. I think David would've made the most sense because that character actually has a history with Anna including dead child plus it is General HOSPITAL and David is a doctor. As for which Liver would've made the most sense, I'll let someone else make their case for that.

But this wasn't about bringing in new viewers. This is FV and RC walking around their high school reunion wearing their letter jackets talking about the touchdown they scored 20 years ago.

• Members

Honestly, my hunch is that no one at ABC wanted to touch anything AMC-related. I think the perception was the show had been on life support for a long time, that the show was stodgy, and that there wasn't much viewer interest in any of the characters, unlike OLTL, which was considered to be more contemporary with surging commercial and creative appeal at time of cancellation. As for the OLTL characters they brought over, I'm sure those choices were all based on focus-group research and not necessarily on Cartinin's personal preferences.

Archived