All: Recasts, What if....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

On AMC... Babe wouldn't have died. She'd still be alive and wreaking havoc in Pine Valley. Opal never would have married Palmer because I just can't see Dorothy Lyman's Opal with him. Liza wouldn't have screwed Tad's son because that would have been weird with Marcy Walker in the role.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

If Greenlee wasn't recasted from 2007-2008 with Sabine Singh we wouldn't have had her being the "cause" of Spike's accident, her being a town pariah.. And of course when they got Rebecca Budig back they changed everything

I doubt Jessica would've had DID if Erin Torpey stayed

Now I wonder how the baby-switch would've been with Gina Tognoni's Kelly

• Members

No, I can't imagine the DID story with Erin or at least not as far and long as they went with it.

Heather Tom was good but it never ever felt like she was playing the Kelly Cramer we watched in the 90s. At least for me- it was like some new wife DG Kevin brought home to Llanview

• Members

I think it would've been better if they connected Jessica haunting Dorian after Megan died to DID.. I do remember Erin said in an interview that she was intrigued about playing Jessica with DID..

I agree Heather Tom was playing Kelly very differently, I still saw her as Victoria though, but she was a major improvement over Tracy Melchior, HT and Gina Tognoni are two actress I love as Kelly, but GT's godawful 2010 return, that needs fixing

• Members

Yes I think anyone who watched OLTL when Jessica was a child/young teen was horrified by the retcon that Niki took her to bars and she was molested. Because we saw Jessica all the time and it was too far fetched. The Dorian/Megan death could have been an interesting angle to go into DID but I think it would have been a much more contained story with Erin. I can't imagine them dragging it out with Erin or her playing the more comedic alter hijinks that they did with Tess in the second and third incantations of Jessica's DID.

I forgot about Tracy Melchior until you said it- that was some awful casting- were they just like ok there's an available blonde. I remember when Gina first came on and loved early Kelly stuff up through her running over Blair and the aftermath of that. Hooking her up with Tim Gibbs Kevin was kind of the end of my Kelly love and while it was nice to see her again in 2010, they clearly had no idea what to do with her and casting a Joey who seemed younger than Jess didn't help. I can definitely appreciate what Heather did with the material watching clips on YT now- she was very very good at playing what they gave her, just as she is always. But watching it at the time and having watched Gina in the role in real time over the years, the writing didn't feel like this was Kelly Cramer and neither did the portrayal. I usually adapt well enough to recasts especially when the actor is solid but that was one that never never worked for me. Lord and then they put her with Kevin's son- even though it was kind of off, I really didn't mind that she didn't seem overly concerned about that child in 2010.

• Members

If Victoria on YR wasn't recast, she wouldn't be the drip she is now.

I know many who watched Chris Bernau's Alan Spaulding feel that his version wouldn't've have done what the recasts, especially Ron Raines version would've done. Having the DVDs, I agree. Watching Bernau's Alan, he was calculating and cold but he had his Achilles heel (s): his kids and Hope. The other Alans were too cartoonish.

• Members

On OLTL, I somehow don't think Clint wouldn't have acted like Asa, Jr. with Clint Ritchie in the role. Granted, CR was old, he retired and then passed on. But his Clint was so rooted in not being like Asa that I wonder how he would have reacted had he still been playing the part those last few years on tv.

On GH, if Edward Quartermaine wasn't recast with a decade-younger actor after David Lewis, he would have been dead 10-15 years earlier. He ended up younger than Lila.

Archived