January 23-27, 2006

Toups

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Evan, DAYS lowest point was when J/J were featured all week, when that lady took off her mask pretending to be Jennifer. DAYS doesnt need J/J, although I like Missy and Matt(sometimes) they arent needed IMO. Now if they coudl get a real story for once I would be all for them, Jack has so much potential as a character but they write him the same lame [!@#$%^&*] all the time.

Not trying to pick on ya Evan, but if DAYS repeats no soap dooes it more than B&B, so I dont get your point about B&B being so much better. I really do respect your opinion, just pointing out a few things.

• Members

Dena Higley was getting those ratings when ALL THE OTHER soaps weren't. DAYS was in the low 2.6 while all the others were much higher. DAYS is now tied with 4 soaps for that rating.

These arguments are so old. Jack and Jennifer do not bring in ratings. And good writing won't either.

• Members

Kirk, I don't have a problem with any criticism of my views! :D

We are all entitled to our opinions!

For all of you happy with DAYS, good for you! :D

Kirk, I agree with you on a few points:

1. B&B can be very repetitive!

2. I too wish Matt Ashford(Jack) had something new and interesting to sink his teeth into, like Jack turning evil again, or Jack with a new love interest.

3. Maybe J&J aren't the ratings winners they used to be. I watched those two from the late 1980s and fell in love with this couple, so I'll always be a fan! My point is, there is so much potential for interesting J&J SLs in the future!

It's James E Reilly I can't stand, not all of you still watching and supporting DAYS OF OUR LIVES.

You guys are great, and it's to your credit that you are proud to speak up for this show! :D

• Members

Fire McTavish (and also JHC). I've defended her in the past, and while I still don't think she's the Anti-Christ, there needs to be change. She always starts out strong, but then gets crazier and crazier in her plots. It's happened each time. We need some fresh blood. Look at those numbers! DREADFUL!

But maybe when Cady McClain starts making more appearences the ratings will go up. We've only seen her once (for like 2 seconds).

• Members

I so agree-thank you for this Kirk :D .

I agree-its worlds better and sometimes the movement drags so I can agree with that too.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Its not gonna mkae difference who writes or if the writing is better by everyone else's standards-its not gonna help the ratings. Its impossible to predict them. They often go up for decent weeks but not for GREAT weeks. Oh how I wish Soapnet was counted in ratings-I think it would make a difference. I also agree about B&B-they repeart more then Days which is why I don't mind the Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas stuff (that and I like it). I also agree with RBSoapfan. As much as I like J&J-they won;t bring ratings and either will better writing then we have now. Days isn't perfect buts its entertaining so that is good enough for me. I am beginning to wonder if I should even care about ratings anymore.

• Members

This is my first post, so let me start off by saying that I am not a fan of James Reilly, but I am of the entire genre.

That being said, I would have to disagree to those posters who have indicated that good writing doesn't influence the ratings. A successful series (any kind of television series) is a combination of good writing and good acting. A good actor can only do so much without a good writer and vice versa. Even the worst script can make a wonderful actor look bad.

I think we can all agree that Mr. Reilly's writing "style", favoring big events, is intended to goose ratings - usually during sweeps periods. However, it is up to Mr. Reilly and other writers to keep these viewers hooked with other storylines during that so-called "big event" so that they will want to tune in again and again. A consequence of using big events is that ratings will almost without fail drop after that event has occurred.

My biggest complaint against Mr. Reilly is his willingness to use fantasy storylines. Now, I don't mind fantasy stories - I would frequently check out the classic "Dark Shadows" episodes on Sci-Fi Channel - but he seems to use them as a crutch. The biggest offenders have been the "alien" storline (even though he wasn't responsible for that), the antics of the DiMera family and the "mystery island" debacle. These storylines, in my opinion, hurt the credibility of the series when it attempts regular storylines grounded in reality. Notice the soaps that top the ratings - Y&R, B&B, and ATWT - tend to emphasis quality storytelling, and plot lines that are realistic.

The real problem with "Days" may be that Mr. Reilly and producer Ken Corday are too close to the problem to see it. Perhaps Mr. Reilly is stretched too thin having to create plots for two dramas, and "Days" is no doubt an extended member of the family for Mr. Corday. NBC would be wise to press for a writing regime change, or at least someone to share the duties with Mr. Reilly, and ask Mr. Corday to likewise share power with another producer (not currently affiliated with the series). Look at CBS's "As the World Turns" as an example. The venerable series was at possibly the lowest point of its history when Proctor & Gamble hired Hogan Sheffer as head writer. Mr. Sheffer, who has since left, had never written for a soap, and quickly turned ATWT from disappointment to appointment television. Also, his successors have pulled off a nearly seamless transition after Mr. Sheffer's controversial exit last year. If it could work for ATWT, perhaps "Days" could look outside the soap world for ideas. That is my main complaint with the genre, the practice of recycling writers. How many current writers have held the exact same head writers spot at another soap (or several soaps).

Lastly, my free advice to the powers that be at "Days" would be to return the serial to its roots as a family drama. Qiuckly and believably wrap up the plots that aren't working and start from scratch. Some potential plots...

*give the excellent Frances Reid something to do. Have her character, Alice, begin to show the symptons of Alzheimer's Disease. As the audience slowly learns that something is amiss, Alice asks a physician relative (sorry I don't know the names of some of the characters, being only an occasional viewer) to ease her suffering by performing a physician assisted suicide. Although that action would deprive the series of its main anchor character, writers haven't utilized her talents in ages and will allow Ms. Reid to showcase her acting chops in an emotional, controversial, and sensational storyline - a wonderful way to cap a long running career. Alice's decision will split the Horton family into those who supported her decision and those who opposed it, arguing she wasn't of sound mind and body. A storyline of this magnitude has the ability to galvanize most of, or all of the major cast members. A "murder" trial could ensue to further divide and alienate the warring family camps.

*have a major younger character (preferably late teens or early 20s) realize that he or she is gay, and explore the issues of alternative lifestyles that is galvanizing American citizens. Although, a storyline such as this may lead to calls of copying, as ATWT, "General Hospital", and "Passions" all currently feature out or closeted characters coping with realizing their sexual orientation.

*and don't be afraid to tackle polarizing issues, like abortion, abuse (sexual and physical), issues of faith and morality.

Soaps earned a name for themselves and a place in millions of viewers hearts a long time ago by tackling subjects that at the time were controversial and while some stories were successful and some not, unless bold choices and decisions are made, TV executives will make them for us - by canceling these long running commentaries on American life.

Sorry about the length of this post, I will try to keep them shorter in the future.

• Members

how shocking fans got tired of the show stabbing them in the back and refused to watch a fake reunion.the entire show was crap then(just like it is now).

I agree that this is falling right in this is in line with JER's pattern. it happend before. it get up - then down.what hey dont get is that the secret is not to get people watching- is to keep them watching on a daily basis. the crap they have on screen wont do it.

• Members

Welcome to SON jpoliver78! I hope you enjoy your stay :)

Seamless transition? Yes, But Did it help ratings? Nope

As the World Turns IMO is one of the best written and produced soaps on the air right now, yet they have a rating of 2.6 tied with DAYS/AMC/OLTL and place 8 out of 9 in the demos. If writing was the only factor, ATWT would be the #2 soap right now.

A Horton/Brady child getting killed in a car accident is about as family drama as you can get. :)

This would be one of the most heartbreaking storylines ever, I would love to see it. But to be honest, Reid is not in good enough health to be in a demanding storyline like this. She can't walk without assistance anymore. and she hasn't even been getting full lines lately. It's usually one character saying something and Alice chiming in with "that's right dear" or "Were her for you" perhaps she just can't remember them anymore? The last time she got to use her acting chops was during the serial killer story, when she was "murdered" and it seemed like she struggled with all those lines then. :( I know Days is far from perfect, but the past few months have shown a big turnaround.

The soaps are trying to bring in new viewers by hiring beautiful models who can't act their way out of a paper bag, and putting them on screen 5 days a week. All they really need is to use what talent that already have. What about trying to bring back the viewers that have been lost over the years because of the newbie takeovers? It's a proven fact that veterans will bring in the ratings. Take ATWT for example, 2003's serial killer storyline featuring Bob/Kim/Susan/Rick etc brought the highest ratings in 3 years. As soon an the vets were taken off the backburner the ratings started to fall. On Days, Marlena kills half the vets on the show, ratings hit a 3.9. They send all the vets to Melaswen and feature them once every 2 months and the ratings fall.

It's like the old saying "I made you, and I can break you just as easy" That's exactly what's happening in the soap world, It's breaking, and by the hands that once fed them. All of these veteran actors and actresses who have put in so many years of hard work are getting nothing in return. There's a few who still get screentime, but not in enough capacity to make a difference. If a show keeps a vet on contract they should use them. They are already paying the money to keep them there so I cannot understand why they don't use them? They need to write for the characters the show is famous for in the first place.

AMC needs Brooke, Adam, Opal, Palmer, Myrtle in front burner storylines, GL needs Holly, Lillian, Frank, Rick, and Blake in storylines of their own. ATWT should write for Kim, Lisa or Bob. DAYS needs to give Maggie, Mickey, Doug and Julie something to do.

Perhaps the reason Y&R and B&B are the top rated soaps, is because they still use the same formula. Vets are still featured in front burner storylines, along with younger characters. Heck, The leading actors on B&B have a combined age of 50 LOL

I know writing plays a factor as well, but I would rather have subpar writing with veterans on the frontburner, than great writing with newbie models on screen 5 days a week.

Archived