January 23-27, 2006

Toups

• Members

THANK YOU!!!

That is why I was afraid of these numbers-I knew Days would drop eventually and knew it was going to happen for last week since nothing happened and I fully expected all the Days/JER haters or doubters to come out of the woodwork and proclaim they were right. Not starting an uproar but I noticed when Days is up or stays the same these same people that are saying its the "JER ratings pattern" and that the show is gonna continue to crash and burn don't post at all and and, if they do, its about other shows with no mention of Days and its progress (and no I am not talking about you XDaysAddict or you either Chanel :) ). I am not trying to start anything its just an observation that when Days drops all these detractors come out and start in on the whole "the show is [!@#$%^&*]" or "its been driven to the ground" crap. Like Rick said, it had a bad week and had been on a upswing for awhile. They should recover next week and next month. Hopefully, the demos and total viewers are good that way it won't be so bad.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you are talking about me, I posted in the ratings thread last week that the 2.9 was a "shock" spike that wouldn't sustain itself. Believe it or not, I pull for the ratings to increase as much as you do because- for the benefit of the fans and cast- I do not want the show to get cancelled. I think the show has improved recently in terms of the actors that have returned and a marked shift away from the teen scene. However, that should not disguise the fact that the writing- as a whole- remains dismal. The Zack storyline is the only current story generating any interest:

Austin/Carrie/Sami/Lucas: Giant mid-90's rehash

Marlena/John/Alex/Lois: I could count the number of posters who claim to like this story on one hand

Jennifer/Frankie: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Members

I think there are different types of soap fans who look for different things out of their soap. That's one reason why I hate it when they all copy each other and become too similar. They should all be distinct and have their own personalities. I have watched Days more recently due to the Zack story and I find the acting to be subpar and the dialogue not to my liking. But obviously millions love it and disagree. That doesn't make anyone wrong. It's just an opinion. I prefer slower stories and more in depth dialogue and enjoy ATWT, but lots of people think it's too slow and boring. I guess my point is, I don't think the ratings going up or down is going to win over any new fans or make the show lose fans. People like what they like. And good or bad ratings doesn't equate to quality either.

As a soap fan first, I wish all the soaps would get higher ratings. I can see the day coming when some game show or reality show does amazing in the daytime ratings and all the networks get out the chopping block at the same time and then they're gone. Compared to watching bad game shows, I would take any soap today because I love the genre. When it's gone, the worst day of Days or GH or B&B will be remembered fondly.

Also, the networks are all interested in different demographics and make varying amounts of money off these shows depending on if they own the show or not or how much they make per commercial. So a 2.6 for one show isn't the same as a 2.6 for another in terms of dollars, which is all they care about.

And with the ABC shows and Days, we don't see how much money they make off Soapnet or those ratings. That's additional money and viewers that aren't counted here.

• Members

Good post I agree. I didn't mean to come off as harsh but I beleive I was speaking the truth. I don't want any tension so I will agree to disagree since Days will likely go up again anyway and ratings don't often indicate quaility. If they did, ATWT would be much higher (along with Days and Passions of course) and G would be last (ok more personal bias but you get the picture).

I only wish Soapnet counted because I am sure many viewers catch their shows there and that may very well take away from the numbers. I mean the only time that Days has been over 3.0 since they premiered on Soapnet was for Alice's "death", the first week of the island story, and during the holidays of 2004 (which was liley due to viewers being home). I mean last week on MLK day the diailies for all the shows were great, likely because people were home. When people aren't home, they either tape or record their show or watch it on Soapnet, which is why I wish those numbers counted. I have a feeling the numbers would be much higher for the ABC soaps and Days.

• Members

Sigh.

It was expected, but I was hoping for a surprise.

I guess, at the very least, it proves that DAYS still has what it takes to get near 3.0. And that is always good to know!

As for the comment about dead poets and fingernails...wow.......wow. We definitely have POLAR opposite tastes.

• Members

HA HA, I was right: DAYS slips back to 2.6 this week. I knew the supposed peak of 2.9 was only temporary.

At the risk of getting bashed again by the JRE fans, I've gotta say: I TOLD YOU SO!

If TIIC would give Jack & Jennifer a really good frontburner SL(and I don't mean a triangle with Frankie), the ratings would go up, believe me! B)

• Members

I don't understand why you guys get so much joy at seeing DAYS or any soap for that matter drop in the ratings. I'm all for expressing an opinion, but from what I see most post are mean spirited and hurtful. I'm a DAYS and PASSIONS fan and I don't think JER, Ken Corday or the people who run Passions want their shows cancelled or in ratings trouble. Every soap is not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

• Members

That's right and I can;t beleive people are gloating over this. Its sad that this kind of crap happens everytime Days drops. They will probably go up for this weel anyway and last week was kinda dull. Everyone knew they were gonna drop so it was no shock. They are still doing well in demos and such and are tied for 4th in HH.

I love J&J dearly but them getting a good story will not help the ratings. The ratings don't reflect quaility nor are they reliable anymore. Every soap had a bad week in some way or another last week

I knew that all the anti-Days people would come out of the woodwork-they always do when this happens and disappear when they go up again. I am not a JER fan but I have loved the show for the past 7-8 months, especially the last month. It only went down because all upswings come to an end and last weel was ubpar. Just wait until this week's numbers come out. Days will get a boost from Hope learning the truth and possibly for Zach funeral and whatever else February brings. Every show has an off week (meaning an off week doesn't make a show a peice of crap) and the trend the last 4 months for Days' ratings has been positive with a few drops along the way. This is just one of those drops. If the numbers go down next week, then I will begin to worry but that isn't gonna happen. This week has been great so enjoy your little "victory" while you can.

Archived