January 23-27, 2006

Toups

• Members

What utter revisionist nonsense.

During Reilly's second tenure, Days has routinely been in 6th or 7th place in the ratings. On the odd occasions he has been able to pull Days into the top 3, it has usually co-incided with "Shocking event XXX". If Higley had opted to kill off 10 characters or the child of a supercouple, I have no doubt similar spikes would have been achieved (and I'm certainly no fan of Higley's).

And the fact that other soaps have lost more viewers is hardly a compelling defence of JER's writing.

As for the claim that Jack/Jennifer don't bring in ratings, the daily ratings last year showed that episodes featuring the supercouples consistently drew a couple of points more than those featuring newer/younger couples. Using the fake reunion as an example to show that J/J are not ratings pullers is ludicrous. Storylines that don't respect Matt and Missy's talent will turn viewers off almost as surely as them being off-screen. Does the fact that John/Kate's sex drew one of the lowest ratings of the year imply that J/M don't pull in ratings? Of course not.

Do I know FOR A FACT that better writing will improve the ratings? No. However, the last time Days had good writing (2002), they performed pretty strongly. When Cwickly/Brash were in charge, Days rarely dropped out of the top 3 or 4. Secondly, the converse clearly applies. When Soap Central did their survey of the industry last year, the number one reason repeatedly cited by fans for tuning out was "the writing".

Rick: ITA with you. Soaps cannot go wrong with the veterans. IMO, Days has really lost out by not having Susan Hayes on the frontburner. She is an awesome actress and Julie is a wonderful character.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Evan, thanks for not going ballistic because I dont always agree with ya. ;) However, I do agree with you if Jack was written like he used to be and take a turn back to the evil side then maybe more viewers would be interested in J/J again. He should be pissed all to hell for what has happen to him that last 3 years. I would love to see Jack try and get revenge and turn back to his evil side again, I know Matt could definitely pull it off. As of now or the last 3 years its the same stuff OVER and OVER with J/J, they need a different story for once.

Archived