Y&R: Another Casting Call

• Members

I don't have a feeling for CK one way or the other. But what AA males have there been on canvas to pair her with? Her brother? And no I don't buy she has that kind of influence to refuse it but is there something wrong with an interracial couple? I'd always wanted them to explore Neil and Ashley, is that somehow perceived as a bad thing because she's white?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Funny how whenever any other Black Y&R character needs a love interest Black (or Hispanic) actors & actresses are hired but when it's Scottie Pippen suddenly it's "why does she have to be paired with a Black guy?"

Of course not.

Because that would mean dealing with the real issue.

• Members

Times may have changed, but interracial couples still face a lot of stigma from society, especially in small towns in the mid-west where this show is supposedly based in.

Y&R always pretends that Lily's love life is not somehow controversial to those around her. I don't think Dru ever questioned why her daughter was with a white man (Daniel in that case), and she's definitely the type to do so, and did it with Damon and Phyllis. Yet CKLily always gets a pass from stuff like that.

• Members

I don't believe CK has any influence on who they do and don't hire or who Lily gets paired with. As for her supposed refusal to be paired with Devon, did I miss that he's her brother? So because he and she are AA they should ignore that? My own personal opinion is that Y&R used CK's racial ambiguity as an excuse to not hire an AA actor to pair her with. And no I'm not condoning it before someone accuses me of being racist. I just don't think she had any influence on it.

• Members

You know what? I'm not gonna even argue about something that no longers matters. I'm gonna rejoice and sing hallelujah while doves fly over me.

As I continue to do my Bill Cosby dance.

Guys, this is a time to celebrate - let's not waste precious time discussing that nobody any longer.

Now, all we need is THE QUEEN. For this, I will do cartwheels on the expressway!

All hail THE QUEEN!

• Members

Of course not.

Because if CK were to bear responsibility it might mean what Vicki (and Ellen and Timothy and almost every other actor of color that has worked in Daytime) has said was true & that Daytime is a racist institution.

They were going to be paired LONG before he became her "brother".

Victoria, Shemar & Bryton are all mixed racially ambiguous yet all were paired almost constantly with other Black actors.

• Members

This is why in response to Carl's comment that CK's a token I disagreed and said that she's something much more sinister than that. This show doesn't want you to believe that Lily is black at all. She is for all intents and purposes a beige white girl who is only black by association. As if our love for, and lasting memories of Dru will keep this young heroine in the hearts of the black audience (as if), or if not, well, who cares.

My question is, if true, how in the hell does she get to wield such "power"? She does not bring that much to the table. Any other actress would be sent packing for insolence.

Unless of course Y&R was more than happy to give up their pursuit of adding another black actor to the canvas.

Archived