Y&R: Another Casting Call

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No... he decided to kill the character off after Thom decided to quit, in order to propel the Jill Katherine feud for another 15-20 years, but he said he later regretted it. Just like he decided to write out the entire Brooks family after Jaime Lyn Bauer quit. And her reasons for leaving were opposite of most actors, she wanted to her work to be CUT BACK. And what's sad is that she said had she known that 5 other actors were going to lose their jobs because of what she did, she never would have left. She would have just sucked it up and soldiered on.

• Members

I agree with that to some degree. They had to have some talent. They may not be the best actor, but as long as they are ADEQUATE, if they brought something else unique to the table, he hired them. Some actors had shortcomings.. Jaime Lyn Bauer couldn 't cry on cue. Jess Walton would overplay her anger often. Wings Hauser was even LESS attractive than Ernest Borgnine. I think Thom brought that same quality that Ashley Bashioum brought.. and that is a screen presence that made the character enigmatic, and sensitive. It was something different than what you normally see on daytime.

• Members

I don't know how to describe it. First of all, I didn't see any tears. Second of all, he's talking like he's crying but again, no tears. And to me he just comes off like he's trying to play it like a typical, dramatic, soap opera scene but he's not that type of actor.

• Members

No, I wasn;t being sarcastic... I think it was fine, not earth shattering, but perfectly good. I think alot of his problem is that he has to act opposite the heaviest hitters on the show all the time, and next to Cooper, Walton, and Cast... it's hard to compete with that. He's look better in comparison is he was acting opposite Miller and Goddard all the time. And frequentsoapfan.... the sadness in the eyes didn't come across because we got no damn closeups anymore. That is by far the biggest problem with Y&R today. The loss of the extreme closeup causes all subtlety and subtext to be completely LOST on the viewer. In order for emotion to come across to the viewer, you have to do what Walton does, and slap the viewer across the face with it like a wet fish. A more understated actor doesn't come across on this show anymore, and now that Thom knows this, he was trying to slap us across the face with it.... but it's not natural for him, and it doesn't work as well.

Archived