Most Dramatic Soap Opera Scene

• Members

I keep hearing different stories about what went down with Shannon on Charmed and 90210. I don't think she was the nicest person in the world but at the same time I find it hard to believe that she went to one groundbreaking show and left and went to another great show and left for the same reasons because she had a "fight" with a major cast member. Some people will swear on there grave that Alyssa Millano was the instigator and she got Shannen fired. My mother strongly believes that Shannen is the b**** from hell! I do not know what all went on with her and Garth though. Does anyone have an idea of what actually happened on both shows??

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Supposedly on Charmed, she and Milano butted heads, while she and Combs were very close. Milano allegedly went to Spelling and told him that she was the bigger star and that if Shannen didn't go, she would. They actually fired Shannen after the season finale was filmed, so she never really did get a proper goodbye. They just said she was dead in the next season premiere. Combs was fairly vocal about how pissed off she was about the way they treated Doherty. I'm not saying that Shannen was the easiest person to work with since I don't know her and wasn't there, but she deserved better, especially since Spelling specifically went to her and asked her to join the cast in an effort to make things right with what happened at 90210.

• Members

Which should have sealed Milano's fate, if you ask me. It doesn't matter who is the bigger star. What matters is the structure and integrity of the show; and if you look at the structure of "Charmed," you realized that show needed Doherty more than it needed Milano. (Just like with "Charlie's Angels": when Farrah Fawcett left, the show lost some viewers, but not enough that it couldn't recover. When Kate Jackson left, however, that ship went down fast.)

Say what you like about Doherty, too, but in terms of on-screen appeal, the bitch brings it. Is she the greatest actress? No. But she is an actress who compels you to watch. Pure and simple. "90210" suffered from her absence, IMO, because she was the only regular cast member who was willing to act and not just pose for the camera.

• Members

I think on 90210, she was always late to work and stalling production, and clashed with Jennie Garth, if not others. I do feel they had to get her out there but with Charmed, I have only heard she clashed with Milano over Julian McMahon or something like that. You never know what's rumors and what's true. But I feel they could have worked something out at Charmed.

• Members

Perhaps. On the other hand, I get the impression that it was one of those situations where no one (either Doherty or Milano) would have been happy unless one or the other was out. I just think Aaron Spelling and his team chose the wrong one. :(

• Members

Re: Mona's funeral on AMC - what made that scene for me was not necessarily Erica's outburst. It was everyone's reaction to it. From Bianca to Travis and Jack, to Phoebe, Ruth and Joe, everyone was stunned, and there are a few powerful moments when everyone is just in shock at Erica falling apart like that, and no one really knows what to do. Yes, Erica was over the top, but that's who Erica is, and I wouldn't have expected anything less from her. That, and prior to the outburst, she'd been massively stoic about the whole thing, so her outburst really was shocking to anyone who had spent time around her in the days and hours leading up to the funeral.

Kendall bringing Richard Fields into the courtroom was wonderful drama. I wish someone would upload that full scene to YT!

• Members

With Doherty out of the picture, it fell on Holly Marie Combs' shoulders to carry the show, essentially, because too much about Milano's Phoebe would have had to change in order to make her the show's anchor. Now, don't get me wrong: I don't know Combs personally, and for all I know, she's probably as sweet as pie IRL. As an actress, however, she isn't very...captivating. In fact, there are times when she comes across as more than somewhat lethargic. Having her step into Doherty's shoes as the show's axis was necessary, I guess, but it sure as [!@#$%^&*] wasn't ideal.

IMO, Spelling et al were better off letting go of Milano (really, it isn't as if the show needed her, or vice-versa), keeping Doherty and Combs, and hiring someone (who WASN'T Rose McGowan) as the new, third Halliwell sister.

• Members

Very good points, and ICAM. I just couldn't watch with Rose on the show. I did try, because I wanted to see where they went with story, but she definitely didn't mesh well. I wish to this day that Milano got fired instead, and that her final scenes were when they went into the future and she was burning at the stake. It would have made me giddy. :)

• Members

I think 90210 rebounded well by adding Valerie. Tiffani-Amber Thiessen had a following from Saved by the Bell, but she was also playing a totally different character - a huge bitch who did drugs - and did it very, very well. For a lot of kids like me, who had grown up watching sweet Kelly on SBTB, it was the ultimate forbidden fruit. The show went downhill over time from there, but it wasn't because of the Valerie/Brenda replacement.

Their mistake was in never bringing Brenda back at all. They tried to replace Val with Vanessa Marcil, which was disastrous, and really, everyone after Val was just trying to fill a rote 'bitchy brunette' role. Worse, they sloughed off the Brenda/Dylan offscreen romance in favor of a tired retread with Kelly with a very old-looking Luke Perry around 1998, even though by then Brandon/Kelly had more fans and the Dylan/Kelly redux was lame. Old Man Aaron should've swallowed his pride and at least allowed Shannen to appear, if not return outright.

• Members

How did we get this far without this?

Also, there's this scene from GH a few years ago, in which Jason tells Monica Emily is dead, which is much better than it deserves to be. Absolutely heartbreaking, and good music. "Who, Jason? They're all dead. You're all I have left and I don't want you." As annoying as Natalia Livingston got, it was a horrible mistake to kill both Alan and Emily off, and I do hope the rumors are true that Alan may be resurrected.

• Members

My favorite part of Maureen's demise is when she rips into Lilian in the Bauer kitchen, it wasn't the typical snarky bitchiness soaps with juvenile writing would spew out, it was done in such a classy, yet tragic way. I believe it was part of Ellen Parker's winning reel that year.

I guess you see part of it 8:20 in:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zb4FZqOvNcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

I'm sure Guza wanted us to sympathize with "poor, misunderstood" Jason, but I truly felt for Monica at that moment. Her entire family, save for Edward and Tracy (and let's be honest, Monica and Tracy don't exactly get along), had been decimated; and for a woman like Monica, who had grown up an orphan, that is too much for one person to bear.

• Members

Rose just did not have any chemistry with anyone on the show. Also, it was like having two phoebes on the show.

When replacing the character of Prue they should have at least have made Paige a little bit edgier. Another words, anyone BUT rose should have been Paige. Granted it could have been worse meaning Kaley Cuoco as Paige...lol! God I still can't stand Billy.

Anyway, I have always fantasized about Doherty returning for the series final and meeting Paige.

Archived