Most Dramatic Soap Opera Scene

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know what I love about Victoria Wyndham's Rachel? You can say what you like about the strange, pseudo-British accent that seems to come and go with the breeze, but if you back her into a corner, so to speak, what she gives in turn is a ferociousness that is simultaneously hair-raising and electrifying.

Both VW and Rachel were at their best whenever there was something to prove or to defend. It's a shame more people who worked on ANOTHER WORLD didn't realize that.

• Members

This scene just seems like ham when taken out of context, but I still love it, and have watched it over and over. Diane Ballard, who has spent years of her life doing anything she can to make Alan love her, and waiting for the day that he will leave his pure and innocent wife, Hope, learns that he has had an affair with Rita Bauer, and that she was one of the only people in town not to know.

Sofia Landon is superb in this scene, and indeed, in this entire clipset. Her face when she learns the truth is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHfFgd1G2So&feature=relmfu

• Members

General note about dramatic scenes. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the less background music, the more dramatic the scene is. The silences between the characters just ramps up the tension SO much more than a constant, overblown underscore. If you can hear the lights/cameras buzzing, it's even better. Let the scene play out, have the last character have the last word, wait for a beat, and THEN let the music come in strong. I only have a vague idea of what this very brief ATWT clip from 1975 is about, but it's SO effective in having you be like "Oh sh!t, what's gonna happen now??" when the scene is done. The flute/mallet prelude followed by that dissonant chord on the closeup gives me so much life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1pYvTCqYDo

• Members

It never fails to drive me insane that we have nothing of Gillian Spencer's ATWT run besides this. Viewers ADORED her, to the point where ATWT actually kept her on a year or two more than they'd planned because of viewer complaint over attempts to write her out. Yet we have none of it.

Archived