Most Dramatic Soap Opera Scene

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The best line in the Maureen clip which was posted was when she told Lillian that she had made their lives into a "suburban joke."

I also liked the scenes where Roger was at Maureen's grave, which never seem to be on Youtube.

• Members

These scenes are mostly known for the absurdity of the event, but they feature some incredible, harsh writing, and phenomenal acting from Marcy Walker, Harley Kozak, and Lane Davies. It would have been very easy for Davies to phone all this in, since Mason was supposed to be a jerk, but he really went for it. Having Mary realize that if she dies, her baby will also die, is just a punch. I think my favorite scene in this is when Mason says if there is a Heaven he hopes Mary is there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2DrZR9gNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdbQWJBB92I

• Members

The sequence of events leading up to Maureen's death was GUT-WRENCHING. Maureen, along with the rest of the Reardon clan, was just so near-and-dear to my heart, you know? And yet, I couldn't hate on Lillian just because she was the "other woman" in Ed's life. Ed and Lillian had given into a momentary weakness which both regretted, and Lillian especially didn't want to jeopardize his marriage or her and Maureen's friendship any more than she had.

Now, if she just hadn't written that damn letter....

• Members

You're a bigger person than I am! I hated Lillian for about five years after that, at least (made even worse when McTavish made the unfortunate decision of having Lillian rake Reva over the coals for breaking up a marriage).

• Members

I think I see your point, Carl. However, I guess I empathized with Lillian, simply because I understood the motivation(s) behind it all, as well as the guilt and remorse she and Ed felt afterward. I mean, at least it wasn't one of those stories where a normally nice and well-adjusted woman becomes obsessed suddenly with a colleague and plots to seduce him and break up his home, which is what you'd see in a Lifetime movie...or a story penned by Hogan Sheffer.

• Members

Logically, there was no reason to hate Lillian, especially if you didn't hate Ed. Emotionally, I just couldn't go there, and I think that was the biggest error in the story - Maureen's death never had closure, so viewers punished the characters even if the writing did not. I think they were able to forgive Ed, because he was a man, and because Ed was so incredibly weak, and we saw his struggles with Michelle. Lillian was very boxed in and looking back it's kind of amazing they kept her on. I know there was a rumor that Tina Sloan always took a small salary because she didn't need the money.

But I know it was nonsensical to blame Lillian, and over time I did get over it.

• Members

I never did! That bitch was crazy and so was her daughter. Right to the end of the show she was still referring in gilded terms to that summer "when Bradley [Raines] was so awful" (i.e., raped her daughter)

• Members

Yes, Lillian was frequently in denial and an enabler (didn't they sort of mention this during one of Beth's madness stories).

This isn't on Youtube in English but I forgot to mention the "charms" scene where Ridge gave Caroline charms for every year of their marriage they'd never have. One of the best performances, by far, from Ronn Moss, and one of B&B's most emotional moments.

• Members

I never hated Lillian, it was a mistake, one that she and Ed admitted to. I wish they would have done the same thing with her daughter coming between Rick and Mel, especially since most viewers really didn't like Mel and Rick together. It made sense too since she felt trapped in a marriage to a man she despised (or should have played that way) and wanted out, and Rick wasnt happy and the whole Phillip is "dead," bonding thing. Instead, they went with Evil Beth and then her going back to Alan, and screwing Rick to conieve a baby to trap Alan into the marriage. HUH? That [!@#$%^&*] is what killed GL more then Mo's death, bad writing that would turn the plot on a dime.

Archived