Overexposed Characters that You Actually Liked

• Members

In soaps today, I feel like we hear a lot about the audience hating a central character because they are so "overexposed" or "taking up the whole show". It's a complaint that I think has been said about every single soap. But have there been any that you actually enjoyed watching?

I loved Kendall and Babe on AMC and while Minshew shouldn't have been on QUITE so much (she was in over 90% of the episodes a few years!), I still enjoyed that she was regularly written for.

On ATWT, I loved Gwen but I remember there were a few years there where people complained, calling it "As Gwen's World Turns". As crazy as it sounds, I really cared about her life and wanted to see her day-to-day.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later! What about you? What "overexposed" characters can you admit to enjoying?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This was often thrown at Sarah Brown's Carly, and I still loved her for many years. I just hated a lot of her material.

I also never had a problem with Kim Zimmer's Reva. I sometimes hated the stories (like she and Tom Pelphrey devouring the scenery...goodbye for me and GL), but I always thought she did a professional job and I always liked Reva, mostly because I never felt like she was fake or sanctified.

• Members

I know a lot of people hated how ATWT became "As Jennifer's World Turns" (they called her St. MeMe), but I thought the actress (Jennifer Ferrin) was terrific, and I thoroughly enjoyed her storylines.

• Members

Kendall - only when Alicia Minshew was in the role. I liked her, I don't know why so many people couldn't stand her and preferred SMG

Jamie Martin

Todd Manning - only the real Todd with RH in the role. I hated him when TSJ was in the role.

Tea Delgado

Natalie Buchanan

Starr Manning - mostly when she's around her family

Niki Smth - still LOVE the 2002 story! I'd like her more if she wasn't a symptom of a mental illness. I've always hated DID stories.

Carly - I go back and forth on her. I loved her most when Sarah Brown was in the role. Carly has been too callous in recent years, but I sometimes love how OTT Laura Wright is.

• Members

I agree with that. I enjoy his presence on Y&R. Same with Phyllis, who is even more taboo for a lot of fans.

I also love GH's Carly, though sadly it looks like her days of being front and center are becoming a tad bit more limited under Carlivati. :(

Archived