Deception: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I enjoyed this episode! And I'm surely in the minority, but I'm not going to declare this show dead just yet; stranger things have happened. There was a recent show on another network that was declared cancelled largely due to declining ratings; that show has since been renewed and is currently taping its next season. With that said, this show has so much to work with plot wise, I think. Julian/Joanna is just one of the goodies that this show can promote if this show were to continue. We'll see what's decided on.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Bowers are presented as this dysfunctional family with loads of secrets and it seems their biggest problem is lack of communication.

I may have said before that I don't think Edward killed anyone. His finger prints on the golf club doesn't make him guilty of murder. I understand why Robert would want to protect him but there's more to that story and Haverstock doling out so many favors is suspect.

There's something earnest about both Julian and Edward. Julian seems to believe in Lyritrol too much for him to cover up those deaths. He really believes in it. ITA that Robert is not that sloppy either. They made it clear when he instructed Julian not to get caught.

And not only is Joanna sloppy at the undercover aspect of her job but she's made out to be devoid of any instincts. I shouldn't have to fill in the blanks and that's a writing/direction problem. They missed an opportunity in last week's episode to show her alone dealing with her emotions after her phone conversation with Will. They're trying too hard to make her feelings ambiguous which might help them have their pseudo triangle plod along but does nothing to help her as a character. I get nothing from Will likes her and Julian likes her but keeps going with his empty flings. She's the heroine and there has to be some give in her emotions. She's certainly not a blank slate and has to be feeling something and if Will is her destiny then that would be a done deal since he wants to be with her. But it's obviously not so there's no reason for her not to have responded to Julian. At the very least she could have expressed some trepidation. When she goes looking for him in his room, how does she not know that her rejection would have sent him instinctively to another woman? That kind of writing reeks.

• Members

I will say that I got from the episode that Joanna's heart has already made a decision between the two men. When Will kissed her, she was pulling away which he realized which is why he tried to play it off as just concern. In contrast, Joanna was as devastated as Julian was by her rejection. She was barely holding it together as he walked away. She clearly loves Julian, not Will. I hope that the writers have her tell Julian the truth before we run out time. He will be upset initially, but he desperately loves her and will forgive her in a heartbeat if she declares her love for him. My hear broke for Julian. I believe him when he said that he thought about her over the years and I know it was the same for Joanna. It would be a shame for them to lose all that love when they have found each other again.

I agree with you about the Bowers and communication. I bet they sat at the living room table and told each other everything that they know, they would instantly figure out that they are all being played by perverted Haverstock, the drug lobbyist chick, and her boss. I would actually love to see that happen. The Bowers working with Joanna and Will would be force to be reckoned with against their enemies.

Julian insists that the drug is effective. He is way to dedicated and driven to be lying, plus he is a doctor. No way Edward killed anyone. I don't care how out of it he was. He is a good person.

• Members

Ah, but if NBC opts to renew Deception.. then Tate Donovan would have to continue on the show (since his role on the CBS pilot is in 2nd position to his role on Deception.

If by miracle NBC picks up Deception for another season, they have an opportunity to refocus the show. I would keep Joanna, maybe strip her of her cop role based on the conflict of interest going undercover for a family she knew growing up.

However, I'd refocus the show around Sophia... I could see her being the female J.R. of the show.... Dallas didnt originally focus around J.R. but after awhile the show refocused on him.... I could see Sophia making Julian/Joanna lives miserable and making sure that they never get together.

• Members
+1

If there are only episodes then NBC has no reason at all not to show them. It's not as if most of their line-up doesn't suffer from low ratings. Whenever a new drama does relatively well, they find a way to run it into the ground as they did with Heroes and it's infinite trips into alternate realities. I guess Revolution will get that time slot on the 25th of next month.

I did read

• Members

NBC is a mess, they are dead last in ratings (even the spanish channel is beating them). I really do like this show, if they cancel it, then they need to cancel EVERY show on its network. Why are all those crappy very low rated comedies still on?

I still think Deception should move to the USA channel, its a better fit with what they show over there.

• Members

Awww, so Julian wanted to date Joanna and she was the one who was reluctant to go public. Brings a totally new spin to their relationship. He has clearly been in love with her forever. I hope she goes to Thailand with him. After this episode, I am convinced that the drug was good and someone is feeding this false info. It is not the Scott Bryce competitor, it is someone close to him or an enemy of Robert's trying to destroy him. They tried to make Robert sinister at the end, but I don't believe for a second that he had Vivian killed or that he would hurt Joanna.

Will has got to be the worse FBI agent ever. He has no evidence, but goes around accusing every single member of the Bower family of murdering Vivian. How does he still have his badge?

• Members

Here are a couple of (spoliers) videos of scenes from tonight's show:

http://tvline.com/2013/02/27/deception-spoilers-robert-interrogates-joanna-about-past/

http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/02/27/deception-spoiler-season-1-episode-9-video/

I'm not sure about Scott Bryce's character being in on it either. There was something about his scene with Audrey (I beleive that's her name) that made his glee from seeing Edward turn on Robert seem a gift. I just didn't get the impression that he was expecting it. I could be reading too much into it and then again she could be working with someone else without his knowledge and/or she has some personal reason for wanting to bring Julian down. It's clear that she worked Vivian's boyfriend. She may have gotten into trouble with that Russian group and destroying the Bowers is her way out. Then again Sophia's ex may be mixed up in it somehow.

Robert is concerned about the wrong person. I can't believe he swallowed Sophia's lie so easily. His biggest crimes are probably greed and wanting to protect his children.

You're so right about Will. I don't think the writers thought his character out beyond their desire to create some love triangle. Not only does he run around on his emotions making accusations without evidence but he doesn't even seem to be investigating the main case which was used as the flimsy excuse for the collaboration between the FBI and the local PD. I can't even remember what the FBI's interest in the Bowers was/is at this point.

I'm thinking it was some sort of stock fraud which should also involve the SEC and that makes Will's part in this even more flimsy since he doesn't seem to be pursuing the fraud angle at all--just throwing accusations at every member of the family except Mia so far.

• Members

I cannot believe that 2 second scene at the end is all the sex scene that this show is giving of Joanna and Julian. Talk about being its own worse enemy. Although I loved when he said that he was in "to the edge of doom." He will stand by her when the truth comes out about her being a cop.

At least, we were right about the truth about the drug results being falsified by the competition. Will really is the worse FBI agent ever. Everyone figured out that it was Audrey before him, Edward and Joanna.

Archived