Deception: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems to be typical NBC ratings. I been thinking about this all week, this show should have been put on USA. Seems a good fit there.

Smashed got renewed and their ratings were crap and Scandal has only grown each week since first airing.

Now that other new show on NBC about the guy with two personalities, that i see canceled.

I love the fact that more shows are being filmed in NYC. Gives it another character, like Ugly Betty, loved it when it moved to NYC. It gave the show a whole new life.

I think then house is probaly on Long Island.

• Members

It won its 10 p. time slot so that's saying something... the real test in the coming weeks is seeing if it can retain the audience it got and build on more. So hopefully word of mouth will help the show expand to an even bigger audience.

Smash was going to get renewed regardless since they put so much money into it and had Spielberg do the pilot.

• Members

While NBC seems to have a very different definition of success vs. CBS... where if Deception aired on CBS and got those ratings then it would be canceled in a couple of weeks LOL. Of course, it would involve CBS actually investing in a show that is a continuing story as opposed to a procedural LOL

• Members

This episode was okay. Julian and Joanna are building nicely. He is a jerk, but I think that he is just acting out his guilt and grief. He will get back to pursuing Joanna soon enough. The ending with Robert talking to the guy about beating up that young guy was well done as it contrasts the warm family party with his coldness. I don't think enough happened in the episode. However, they do a good job setting up the next step of the investigation in each episode. I am looking forward to finding out why Edward is helping the whistle bower. I wonder if that is the last we see of Jennifer Ferrin?

I think this show needs more of Joanna interacting with the family present day and less of those flashbacks with recently deceased Vivian. The FBI/police investigation also needs to be toned down. I don't care about Will or the cops running around trying to convict Edward or whoever. Joanna and her dynamic with the various Bowers is far more interesting. Her history with Julian, Edward, and Robert along with the bond she is forging with Mia show that she belongs with the family more than investigating them and revealing their secrets. I hope however long this lasts, we see Joanna ultimately choosing the Bowers and they choosing her.

• Members

Co-sign on this!! I think the show would have worked if Joanna wasn't a cop, but came back into the fold after the death of her friend Vivian. She could have felt immense guilt over 'abandoning' her, thus wanting to find out for herself who killed her friend. We would be spared the police scenes, and have more time spent on her interacting with the family.

One thing I like about this show are the family dinners... so full of subtle put-downs and dysfunctional fun! One of the strengths of Dallas (original series) were the Ewing dinners in the dining room, gathering for drinks in the family room, and having breakfast out by the pool.

• Members

Spielberg didn't do the pilo--Broadway director Michael Mayer directed it and other episodes (he's prob most famous for directing Spring Awakening). Speilberg is an EP, but let's be honest, he's been an EP on a ton of bad tv shows, and I often wonder how much involvement he has. It's no longer like the 80s where they kept Amazing Stories on air simply due to his name. But ratings were good enough by NBC standards--and, as you say, they sunk a lot of money into it.

• Members

I also liked that Edward and the handyman guy (can't remember his name) warned Joanna to get out. They obviously know where the bodies are buried and how dangerous Robert really is. Oh, I don't think that Edward killed that girl he was suspected of murdering. I think whoever did kill her will be important at some point down the line.

Great minds. I mention that I was reminded of the family dinners on Dallas also. Definitely one of the show's strengths.

• Members

The early word on this second week's ratings is not good. It lost about 25 percent of its audience from last week. We'll see what the demo looks like when Tvbythenumbers posts the ratings later today.

ETA: 18 to 49 Demo -1.6 , overall viewers 4.19. Yikes, not good. We'll see if it can rebound or holds this next week.

Archived