Unpopular Opinions on TV (Outside of Soaps)

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

The Real World

The oversexualization of the show (which many viewers blame on the Vegas 1.0 season) isn't what made the show lame - it was their insistence in casting Uncle Tomming or coontastic minorities instead of minorities who displayed any pride and self-awareness. Their refusal to set their show in certain cities such as Atlanta or Detroit (as indicated by their revisiting previous cities) doesn't help matters, either.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you have a good point here. The show, which was often praised for progressiveness early on, has become full of ugly stereotypes about gays and other minorities, seemingly deliberately casting very damaged personalities for that reason.

• Members

Absolutely. If isn't a catty woman-hating queen, then it's a self-hating closet case that always gets picked to be on these shows. The last time that they ever cast a well-adjusted LGBT was Willie from the Philadelphia season almost a decade ago and I guess producers figured that it'd be a lot more lucrative for them to cast their stock stereotypes - quality be damned.

• Members

Girls

Sure, this show is representative of the "voice of a generation"... if that generation were made up of privileged white hipsters. If I wanted to watch that ish, all I have to do is take the train to any formerly-ethnic-turned-gentrified wonderland. The claim that this show presents a more "authentic" view of NYC than Sex and the City is laughable.

Mad Men

The only character on this show that was remotely likable was Sal Romano. That said, in spite of the unsympathetic and vile people that round out the current canvas, it is still must-see TV at my house on Sunday nights.

The Real Housewives of Atlanta

Kim has been useless to the canvas since Season 2. Why that dead weight continues to warrant any kind of airtime on this show is beyond me.

• Members

My favorite network news theme ever is the CBS Evening News theme from 1991-2006. Just a perfect theme (the ABC News themes from 1978-1989/1989-1996 are right after them). And I don't mind that Katie Couric didn't use it--that was Dan Rather's theme, no doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keA7vfK_Wbk

And the World News Polka Barry Mitchell does on ABC's World News Now? Ace. (Not unpopular among fans, but how many people even know about WNN 20 years after it premiered?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bEuUJmZUh8

• Members

I would rather watch old episodes of 227 than The Cosby Show. 227 came out shortly after The Cosby show did and also showed a positive portrayal of a black family. They weren't as big or as wealthy as the Cosbys, but were a positive and enjoybable family to watch. I thought that 227 was a bit fresher and more interesting to watch than The Cosby Show.

I have never liked Girlfriends or The Game. I didn't like the portrayal of most of the women on Girlfriends. The only one I liked a little was Maya. Half and Half was better.

I really enjoyed The King of Queens and think that it was underrated. I used to watch it and Raymond all the time.. I thought that while it wasn't as popular,or critically acclaimed as Raymond that it was a good sitcom and in some ways more realistic than Raymond. I think that's one of the reasons why it lasted 9 seasons. I liked it's portrayal of working class people, trying to maintain and enjoying whatever they could out of life. I thought that most of the episodes were funny and realistic.

On Smallville Lois/Oliver were hotter and a better couple, than Lois/Clark. Though I understand that ultimately the show had to honor history and go with Lois/Clark, I still preferred Lois/Oliver and wish they would have lasted longer.

I have never really liked anything on HBO, except for Boxing and a few of the movies they have shown. I don't think there's any show on HBO, that I have ever really liked, no matter how much they were critically acclaimed or how many Emmys they won.

I think that Brooke and Lucas should have ended up together on One Tree Hill, not Peyton/Lucas. I think that Brooke acted like she cared about Lucas more than Peyton did. Peyton had a tendency to want him when he was already taken. Peyton's best pairing was with Jake.

I started out liking Lucas more but ended up liking Nathan more. The show did a good job of evolving Nathan as a character. He went from being someone that was really unlikeable, to becoming a decent man. I don't think that Lucas evolved as much and ended up appearing to be more flaky than Nate.

One Tree Hill was better than the OC.

I agree with everyone who doesn't see the appeal of Seinfield. I didn't think it was very funny and Fraiser was even less funnier than Seinfield was. Friends was just okay from time to time. I thought that the last the two seasons were better than any of the earlier seasons.

I think that most of Grey's Anatomy and Degrassi's storylines/characters are way overdone. I always thought that those two shows have way too much drama and overdo almost everything. I think they are too dark and depressing.

At times I have liked California Dreams episodes more than Saved by the Bell episodes. I also liked Kelly and Professor Lasky on The College Years. I thought he was the first older man that Kelly dated that really didn't do her dirty. Kelly dated some sleazy older guys, lol. I think things could have been interesting if the TCY had lasted longer and Kelly and Professor Lasky had stayed together longer. Maybe even going so far as getting engaged and seeing how Zach handled that.

I like most of the Kardashian family reality shows. I find them to be light and fluffy entertainment.

• Members

I always got the impression that not many girls watched TMNT, and I can't really think of many who watched Garfield, either.

Here's one:

I like the 1994-1997 Wheel of Fortune theme best, if only because it was the theme when I first started really liking the show.

And also:

No matter how computer generated the board is now, I can't imagine that show without Vanna White. Hell, I'd LOVE to have her job!

Archived