Unpopular Opinions on TV (Outside of Soaps)

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll agree that Derek wasn't an offensive stereotype (though I had no use for him for another reason), but I can't agree that Mike was a well-adjusted LGBTer. IMO, he was a classic example of trying to play both sides of the fence - a similar affliction to what Karamo from Philly suffered from.

• Members

I enjoyed A Different World more than the Cosby Show, which I often saw as being something we were supposed to admire more than a show which was genuinely funny. I was especially interested in the mixed, weird seasons of ADW (the first and last). I enjoyed Marisa Tomei on the show, and I liked Denise not fitting in as the lead - it just sort of worked, somehow. She and Kadeem Hardison had great chemistry in the one fleeting episode where the show had the characters dating. The last season, I thought the new characters brought some energy (although I mostly liked Jada Pinkett), and Ron/Freddie had genuine heat, far more than you would expect on a sitcom of the "awwww" soundtrack era.

The ONLY Family Feud I enjoyed was with Ray Combs.

• Members

~ I don't think Tyler Perry's sitcoms are offensive in any way. I also think they're funny for what they are (and I never compliment Emmitt or his work).

~ My black family had more in common with the Connors on Roseanne than with the Huxtables on The Cosby Show.

IDK...I think Mike showed a lot of growth over the season, and comparing where he was at the beginning to where he was at the end shows that. He had issues in the beginning, but he had them sorted out at the end. But then again, it's opinions, and I respect yours even though I disagree :)

• Members

As much as I love A Charlie Brown Christmas, I also love It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown, too. I actually had a tape from the original broadcast in 1992 (which also included ACBC and the Garfield Christmas Special), and was DEVASTATED when a bad VCR tried to eat it, which means I may never see some truly awesome old commercials again :( .

Okay, new challenge: to find someone else who grew up in the 90s, outside of the Chicago area, who watched Bozo (Joey D'Auria version) on WGN. It may have had to live up to FCC requirements regarding education in the end, but I still love and miss that show. Bonus points if you've seen the Bozo's Christmas Special from 1992.

• Members

Oh, YAY! Which Bozo? Bob Bell or Joey D'Auria (the Chicago area Bozos)? Or was it from another city? Just wondering.

There really is a lack of history of the Bozo franchise online and elsewhere. I would write a book on the history of Bozo (but especially the show in Chicago) if I could. I remember seeing Girl Scout/Boy Scout troops go on the show as a kid, and as a Girl Scout at the time, I wanted so badly to do that too (even though I'm from Maryland). Of course, the waiting list for tickets was around 5-10 years long sad.png .

The theme song to the show Clueless is a favorite of mine, even if I'll always love the movie more.

• Members

Even though the show itself may have been craptastic (I haven't seen it so I can't say), I LOVE the instrumental theme song to The Bradys (the dramedy from 1990). It just sounds like a nice, instrumental adult contemporary (well, maybe not) song. It's a nice change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73BrsCvbLjM&feature=related

Archived