DAYS: The mess that is MarDar

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It reminds me of when Michael Malone and Linda Gottlieb started at OLTL and they thought they could do short-term stories which made them feel important but ultimately had little to no impact on the canvas (like one about a friend of Viki Buchanan's who had an abusive husband). They soon realized their mistake, and while there were still some short-term stories (like one where Luna had to save her husband from death, and stories about capers or jewel heists), they fit into a larger narrative.

You can tell a long term story and still not bog it down in repetition. Soap writers just don't know how to do this now.

• Members

That's true and I say so what. If soaps catered to fan bases for the last 50 plus years these shows would have died a death long ago. Days already countered the myth that losing fan bases hurts a show when they let the DHs go along with MBE and SN. The show not only did not drop but actually thrived for a good period of time. It's about evolving and allowing characters to develop and grow and building new fan bases as new stories get transitioned to.Every soap today allows themselves to an extent to be dictated to by fan bases and the shows are not any better for it nor do their hang onto viewers nor are they drawing any new viewers with it.

• Members

I enjoy it too. Face it, the show could be (and has been) a whole lot worse than it is now. I wish the balance factor would be addressed and Marlene and Darrell would reconsider the idea of week-long plot arcs, but maybe the public backlash will convince them.

• Members

Count me in as well. Yes, the stories are rushed, but it's definitely watchable.. I haven't fast forwarded through anything in a while. Even Melanie is pleasant to watch lately, mostly because she's used well and not crammed down our throats a la Higley.

• Members

Sami: WIll, would you like some eggs for breakfast?

Will: How could you think of eggs when you slept with EJ, lied about it, became a mole at Grandma's company, acted oblivious to my man love and fought with Aunt Carrie?

Sami: How about some oatmeal, then?

Archived