DAYS: The mess that is MarDar

• Members

I absolutely agree. They have ideas, but they don't have execution down at all and while that is their fault as HW it also falls on their producers, particularly Ms de Cazotte whose Passions pedigree is showing with flying colours because all of these ideas are going absolutely nowhere. Day to day writing is their main failure, as is pacing and pay off, very little of this material makes sense or has a point. DAYS is very fortunate to have a group of actors who don't call in their performances and turn garbage into something that I can stomach as a viewer.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I don't mind the show either. Though there are some negatives, I still enjoy the show. February was their best month. It's a lot better than Higley's last two years and especially the last year (Chloe's prostitution, Carly on drugs, Dan/Jen dating, EJ/Taylor's instant love).

• Members

They're okay.

Other than the following grievances I have with them..

1. That pacing from point A to Z in a story is horrible. The follow up for the conclusion of a story is horrible too.

2. They need to take chances, shake things up, make the stakes higher, their villains (Abby mainly) take major chances that have long drawn out consequences.

3. There is some failure to utilize the whole cast. Kate's absence from the Will storyline is blaring.

MarDar would not be so bad if they did all of the above. Their stories aren't that bad, when written down on paper and compared to some of the ridiculousness thrown our way by Higley and Langan, However the execution on screen is just mired in failure.

I don't know, the show wasn't any better when Maxam was producing either. I don't know if the fault lies with Corday or with MarDar, but something is just not clicking with this new "restart" the show has undergone.

• Members

Pacing and cast inclusion are huge issues. Kate's total absence from the Will storyline, as you've put it perfectly, is blaring. If there's anyone who should be in this storyline it's Kate, Will's protector from day one. The Will storyline is, perhaps, MarDar's falsest note as it's been drawn out, without pay off, for nearly 6 months at this point. It has been saved by Deidre Hall and Chandler Massey's surprising chemistry. Hall has been a stand out in a supporting capacity, a capacity I did not foresee her in...however, Hall's rise to the supporting heap has undermined a role that Suzanne Rogers held down for the last 3 years. The purpose of Maggie Horton has, once again, been called into question.

MarDar seem content with retreading old story ground rather than doing something new. Recycling only works to a point. Ratings have remained flat and it is clear that, yet again, Corday's promises have fallen flat on their faces, just as they usually do.

There is still no real story for Lexie, Daniel remains on canvas, Kate is missing from Will's storyline, Maggie might as well be back handing out menus at Chez Rouge, everything but a funeral has taken place in the Horton Town Square, Jack's PTSD has been dropped, Abby has become an insta-psycho, Carrie/Rafe/Austin/Sami/Lucas is a throwback if there ever was one and Nicole's pregnant with EJ's baby. AGAIN.

• Members

What they need is someone to soap it up. They have good ideas, they set stuff up, the interactions between characters are good, but its just.. boring. stuff just happens with no real impact and there is no need to tune in to see whats going on. its all just flat.

• Members

I get the feeling with the Will story that they are fascinated by the idea of a history retread with Will as Sami, and Will drawn in by EJ. These scenes with Will smirking out insults or having breakdowns seem to be what they concentrated on most. They inherited the gay story and they don't seem all that interested in it. Sonny, who was supposedly going to be Will's love interest, is now a completely meaningless character, with the show not even caring about giving Will an explanation for blowing off his coffee house opening. Will's first kiss was treated as a non-event, done in a way that was more about Will's own disgust/anger, and done with a recurring character we may never even see again.

If they aren't interested in the story I wish they'd just dropped it, as that would have been better than the weird stalling and hurry-up-get-it-over-with mixture which they seem to include in every plot.

Mostly I'd love to know what their original plans were for the Jack/Jennifer/Daniel stuff, as I find it hard to believe it was anywhere near this.

• Members

I thought the story was rumored to be started like sometime in spring or summer 2011. Then there was stalling because of the new writers coming in.

There's just something so perfunctory about the entire story, especially the way they have to painstakingly let viewers know that everyone is A-OK about it. I think they just want to write around this because their real interest is in the stuff Will does with Sami and EJ.

• Members

Of course, others are bound to disagree; nevertheless, I believe Will's Big Gay Storyline will fade away eventually, with him paired up with the first available female hottie and his "flirtation" with homosexuality nothing more than a distant and vague history. Not that I would mind such a decision, per se, since I've said before how wrong I thought DAYS was for making him the protagonist in this story. It's just shameful that the story ended up becoming a big bunch of nothing.

• Members

Word.

Whatever one thinks of Gary Tomlin's regime as Co-EP, one thing he did right was to increase SR's visibility on the canvas. It isn't her fault the show tanked in the ratings while she was more on the front-burner any more than one could say that DAYS' ratings woes at that point were the result of Drake and Dee's absences. Simply put, DAYS sucked then, because (then, like now) they had a HW who couldn't write their way out of a proverbial paper bag. Yet, TPTB chose to look at it another way; and now, SR, who had earned the right to be Alice's successor as tentpole character long ago, is getting shafted...again.

For once, I'd wish DAYS would realize that story, and not the inclusion or exclusion of this-or-that fan favorite, is what makes or breaks a show. The fact that MarDar have good ideas is meaningless, quite frankly. JER had terrible ideas; yet, somehow, he was able to tell stories that catapulted DAYS out of the doldrums and made the show one of the most buzzed-about throughout the early and mid-'90's.

Archived