Healthy Eating Thread

dragonflies

• Members

The way I'd phrase it isn't that being vegetarian or vegan is more healthy...but rather than being vegetarian or vegan isn't less healthy because both ways of eating get a really bad rap that is baseless. For every piece of evidence saying it isn't superior in health, there's contradicting evidence. Davy Jones died of a massive heart attack, likely a genetic bout of arteriosclerosis and Linda McCartney died of breast cancer that spread to her liver which is primarily hormone based. Neither of them are good examples of not eating meat correlating to health because their genes did them in.

I think it's luck of the draw, HM The Queen Mother died in her 102 year and she ate rich food, drank several types of alcohol daily, didn't appear to ever take much exercise and lived grandly. She had two bouts of cancer, hip replacements...and she soldiered on. She had superior genetics.

Genes and attitude are a big part of health. We have less control than we'd like to think.

Life's short, eat desert.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm so glad you know of it! I don't care for lamb as well, nor veal for that matter. There's somethng sort of sour and off-putting about the taste of both, imo.

Mmmm, I LOVE grits with butter and sugar. Fried grits sounds great, and what you described is essentially how they prepare Italian polenta.

• Members

Talking poisonous stuff, I had a customer that told me she ate the chestnuts off her tree in the back yard, and I had a nuclear meltdown right there in her yard! Because her tree was the "Horse Chestnut", not the american chestnut, which is the edible one. Luckily, I found out the other was safe if cooked well, and I guess she didn't kill her whole family, but I was about to have a coronary over it! LOL

• Members

You know, there is probably alot of truth to that. I must say, that my biggest weaknesses are not meat at all... it's potato chips, ice cream,and cheese. However... I can sub nonfat sorbet for ice cream, and be happy as a camper. I LOVE fruit, and don;t understand how anyone could stay on that Atkins diet, which I call the "meat and grease" diet. I'd be out on a ledge in days.

• Members

i don't really "get" chestnuts. My girlfriend and I got them from the grocery store around Christmas one year and they were difficult as hell to peel and eat. Not that we knew what we were doing, or anythung...

This thread has made me so hungry and I have a toothache and can eat nothing.

My friend was on Atkins and he lost a ton of weight but he never looked more miserable and he smelled bad. Truth.

• Members

My big vices are chips and pizza. I have yet to meet a chip that I don't like. And pizza...don't even go there. I can't help myself. I don't have a sweet tooth at all.

I love fruit too, especially berries. The Atkins diet has to be hell for the longer term, your breath is atrocious, no fruit, ugh I can't even imagine it. I eat relatively similarly to Joan Collins....except Joanie takes chocolate over chips.

• Members

I grew out of candy. Sometimes I stand in line at CVS and muse over all the junk I used to get. I still get the occasional Snickers, Pay-Day, box of Dots, etc. I'm good at telling myself no, but icecream, I could eat 3x/day, 7 days/wk.

• Members

I've lost 18 pounds since going veg in January! Healthy eating starts at the grocery store. You won't find yourself lost in a bag of potato chips if you don't buy them. Cause I know for me, if I buy them I will finish them in one sitting lol. For a snack I usually have a piece of fruit and some unsalted nuts now.

• Members

Good for you juppiter! A handful of almonds is a great snack. And you're right, it's so much easier on yourselfif you just don'tbuy the junk in the firsr place. But you have to buy alternative healthy snacks, like nuts and seeds, to keep you sane when you've got the munchies. A big spoonful of healthy nut butter is a great way to cure a food craving, it sits heavy in your stomach.

• Members

If youv'e never tried them, black raspberries are the ultimate in my book. they are some of the most delicious things ever put on this earth I do say that I make gooseberry pie that is to die for. Us ozark bumpkins have a tradition of a mulberry/gooseberry pie that we make every year, as the two fruits compliment each other, the mulberries tone down the tartness of the gooseberry, and gooseberry picks up the blandness of the mulberry. I am into wild edibles, and pick our native persimmons every year, and usually make a persimmon pudding for christmas, I have also made soup from cattails, and rose hip jelly, both quite delicious. Another exotic fruit I grow in my garden is the garden huckleberry. It's an edible species of black nightshade from africa, that is poisnous when green (though not really deadly), but when ripe, is black. the fruit takes alot of work and preparation, but is quite unusual and unlike anything else you'd taste. It makes a fruit filling that is the most beautiful, jewel toned midnight violet you will ever see. I also make a pie with the native Paw Paw. It's called "Ozark banana" as it does have a strong, tropical taste, I feel it's like a blend of banana and canteloupe. I make a creme pie with it using vanilla pudding, and it's quite good. I don't eat it raw, because I don't like the texture, it's VERY slippery (Moreso than Mango) and VERY strong flavored. I feel it needs ot be blended with other things to tone it down.

Oh... and as far as pizza, VERY easy to make that healthy. Load on some zucchini, green peppers, mushrooms, and that fresh basil is the KEY... but get tomato puree and put your own pizza spices in it, as prepared sauce has oil in it, the puree is totally fat free. And I use regular, full fat cheese... but use about half what I normally would use. With that fresh basil, you don't miss it.

• Members

I don't eat based on ethics. I do, however, shop based on ethics. It's pointless to kill something simply to wear it when there are scores of alternatives that are equally stylish, warm or practical. I don't think I've ever really lived anywhere that was appropriate for leather: LA (too hot) England (too wet) and Vancouver (ditto).

And yet, I don't begrudge a woman of a certain age her furs. If you're under 30 and wearing fur, I think it's tacky, we all know better these days.

It only extends to clothing. I have absolutely no qualms with animal testing for medications and I absolutely use skincare that has animal derived ingredients. It's a matter of alternatives for me: if there is a viable, high quality alternative, I will take it. If there is not, I will go forth with no guilt.

Archived