Healthy Eating Thread

dragonflies

• Members

What he's referring to is called Cavernous Sinus Thrombosis. It's an extremely rare infection of the cavernous sinus that can result from infected material being driven too deep into lower layers of the skin on your nose and upper lip. But it usually happens as a very rare complication of a sinus infection, or from a boil on the nose, or something of that nature, dental infection can also cause it. It CAN and HAS happened from someone popping a huge pimple with dirty fingers, etc... but your chances of getting struck by lightning are far more likely. It causes a blood clot in the area of the base of the brain which carries to blood from your brain to your heart.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course, Dr. Oz is an alarmist in an attempt to gather viewers for his show. I do realize some people are unsanitary when it comes to popping pimples on their face, but I have always done it with a sterilized sewing needle and applied alcohol liberally to the area before AND after. Luckily, pimples are few and far between now, but one still comes up every once in a great while, which is annoying as hell. You shouldn't have to put up with that crap after 40!

• Members

Food, Inc. changed everything for us. Now we only consume certified organic products and grass fed organic beef and chicken.

Almost all corn now is genetically modified - some so much that pesticides are actually released into your stomach as your body digests it. That is the thing that some people do not understand when they are told that "our animals are raised on a strictly vegetarian diet." That usually means corn and soybeans that are not organic. For something to be certified organic, it cannot be genetically modified (GMO).

I noticed a huge change when we switched to organic products and I notice a big difference when, usually out of necessity or convenience, I eat something from a restaurant -- now if I eat "junk", I feel like crap. It is interesting to me how my body became so accustomed to eating pesticides and antibiotics and growth hormones and preservatives that I didn't feel any of the side effects, until I got all of that out of my body and reintroduced it at times with restaurant food.

It is expensive but I've heard so many times "you either pay at the grocery store or you pay at the doctor's office."

• Members

I have been drinking skim milk regulary for about 10 years and I've gotten used to it and the taste of it. I like it. Occasionally I drink 1 or 2% and very rarely whole milk, but for the most part I stick to skim milk. I love dairy, so I'm not interested in switching to non dairy milks like almond or rice milk, even though I know more people are switching to those types of milk and are content with the change. Including people who are lactose intolerant who have switched to those type of milk and feel better doing so.

Some foods I'm not giving up are meat or dairy products. I love certain types of meat, poultry and cheese, ice cream and frozen yogurt too much for that, lol. And I think that you can eat those things and be a pretty healthy person. Plus there can be health benefits from eating those types of foods. But with things like the quality, quantity of those foods and how they are processed being factored into the equation.

But some foods that I have given up/rarely eat/never eat/drink are: soda, coffee, foods with MSG in it, alcohol, foods that contain a lot of artificial ingredients, foods with dyes in it and food coloring. That's why I haven't eaten foods like Doritos in a couple of years or why I tend to stay away from stuff like M&M's, even though I used to love eating those types of snacks. I stopped drinking soda around 2001/2002, and didn't drink soft drinks for almost three years after that. Then I drunk like maybe 7 or 8 soft drinks until I stopped drinking soft drinks completely about 6 years ago. I haven't had one since then. I used to love drinking soft drinks, but I didn't like how the acid in them made my body feel, plus there isn't any health benefits in soda. And I think that diet soda is actually worse than regular soda is.

I don't really drink coffee. I'll eat something with coffee in it or that has a coffee flavor to it like ice cream a few times a year. But other than that I really don't consume coffee much. And I have never drunk alcohol. I've had a piece of rum flavored cake before, spaghetti sauce with red wine in it and a few foods that had some type of alcohol in it, but I've never actually drank any type of alcoholic beverage. I think that it's a good chance that I never will. Alcoholic beverages just really don't appeal to me.

Also I don't really eat a lot of fried foods. I eat fried foods every once in a while. I don't really eat hot dogs that much, I haven't eaten a hot dog this year. Though I do love to eat a good juicy grilled/fried hamburger once in a while. And I have baked hamburgers before and enjoyed them.

I also read food labels, I make sure that I read the food labels of a lot of the foods that I purchase. I tend to buy foods that don't either don't have any artificial ingredients or very few artificial ingredients in them. Plus I tend to stay away from foods that have any sort of dye/coloring in them. Not everything that I buy is organic, but i like to eat a lot of foods that only have/mostly have natural ingredients in them. I try to make sure that the vast majority of the food that I eat has some type of health benefit to it, including sweets and snacks.

• Members

I have discovered that I like organic food better especially fruits and veggies. the taste is better.

Organic milk is soooooooooooo good it tastes better than regular milk as do organic cage free eggs.

It's the main reason BUT I have come to truly dislike the taste and l.ook of beef. If I see meat that is bloody(that includes chicken and pork) I will not buy it

I recently found out that marshallow's are made from bone marrow as are gummi bears/worms, those are something else I have lost interest in LOL

• Members

I didn't know that about Marshmallows! I will eat a roasted marshmallow or 2 like once a year at our easter picnic when we roast the hot dogs... but otherwise, I never liked marshmallows. And Gummi bears. Yuck. The only candy I really like are candy bars (I eat one maybe once a month) jolly ranchers, caramels, lemon drops, or burnt peanuts. But like I said, I'm not a big candy eater... once a month at the most. I like beef just fine, but NEVER eat it rare or even medium. To be honest, I've never eaten steak at a restaurant, not once. Since my grandfather was a beef farmer, that's what we'd eat when there was nothing left in the house. But I always eat my steak well done. BURNT as a matter of fact.

• Members

I agree about the alcohol thing. I never drink at all. Number one, I don't like the taste of it. Number two, it makes me sick. Thom Bierdz told me once that he can't have any more than two drinks and he'll throw up, and here I thought I was the only one! Except one will make me nauseated, and I throw up on the second one. I've tried liquor maybe 3 times in my life. When it comes to rum flavored cakes, that is usually rum extract, which tastes compeltely different from actual rum. I made eggnog once with actual rum, thinking it would taste like butter rum life savers..... well, I took a tiny taste and spit it right back out, and threw it in the garbage. I won't eat food cooked with wine, either. It has this off-putting sour flavor that I am mystified as to why people like it. And Coffee. I'm convinced that poeple who drink coffee can't taste bitterness. Because coffee is bitter as all hell, and stinks to high heaven. It smells like someone put a pot of beans on to cook and left them on the stove to burn and turn black.

• Members

I love getting drunk, but since I also hate the taste of alcohol I always get mixed drinks where you can't taste anything but the juice, sprite, etc. But THANK YOU for acknowledging that coffee is utterly digusting. Why people think any brown liquid is okay to put in their mouth I'll never understand (unless it's chocolate milk! smile.png )

As for steak, medium rare always. I want it nice and pink with a little juice pouring out. Salivatingly delicious. You're just a freak of nature in that field I'm afraid.

• Members

I totally realize that and own it! LOL Basically, I like all my food burnt to a crisp. As far as brown liquid, I do have a weakness for root beer. But like I've said before, I drink pop maybe twice a week... it was never meant to be an everyday beverage... that is until the beverage companies decided they could make a crapload of money by convincing people to drink it in place of water. I'm also weird when it comes to iced tea. I put about a inch of tea in the bottom of the glass, and fill the rest with water. NO sugar, EVER. A little lemon is nice, sometimes, though.

Archived