Writers Who Weren't Given Enough Time

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes this was one of the many random "haha" moments on GL that didn't make sense, and in my eyes it kind of degraded the character in the sense that it only made her worthy of being a comical character and not worthy of being taken seriously anymore.

• Members

They left. They were working on a soap called Heart and Soul or Union Place or something like that and NBC was interested in it so they left GH at the end of their contract to persue it. NBC dropped it and ended up going with Sunset Beach. They retooled the show as a spin off of Ned and Lois living in Brooklyn for ABC. ABC went with Port Charles instead and so ABC offered them OLTL.

• Members

Actually, my impression was that Olivia was supposed to fall for Holly, but that could be colored by what happened between her and Natalia.

Wow, I never knew that! Now I'm curious as to what specific plans he had in mind!

• Members

IIRC, Heart & Soul was pitched as a Ned/Lois spin-off, yes, to occupy the 30-minute Loving/The City slot. Like Ryan's Hope, it would take place in NYC and film on location, albeit in Brooklyn. I think Helen Gallagher was to play one of Lois's relatives.

It was all set to go until Wendy Riche did an end run around Labine, pitching the budget-conscious PC which would not require an East Coast shoot. PC was greenlit, H&S was dropped and Labine was forced to finish out her contract, mostly disinterested, at OLTL.

• Members

The Proteus storyline was started under Passanante and continued under Richard Culliton. I remember that he dragged the storyline out longer then people would have expected but it did have great reveals during it. If I remember correctly at the time of the story beginning, they had no idea who to make the villian, it ended up being Vanessa.

• Administrator

She was fired. But she had two years, so I definitely think she was given "enough time".

My vote goes to Lorraine Broderick, who was fired after 1 month, and Brash & Cwickly who were demoted/fired after less than a year. And Karen Harris at Port-Charles who was demoted only after a couple of months.

• Members

I think so, too. At least, that was the BTS scuttlebutt. (Usually, when actors say, in interviews, "This is so exciting, it could be anyone!," that's a dead giveaway.) And if you like a story where it's clear even the one in charge of it doesn't know the outcome, that's fine. For my money, though, it helps if the HW has some idea in mind how he/she wants it to end. Otherwise, you get something very convoluted and becomes more about plot than character.

Agree. Besides, John and Hope's "submarine sex"...I shudder to this day over that hot mess.

• Members

Was not there a problem between Tom Langan and Lorraine Broderick after she joined Days? If I remember correctly, she wanted to age the younger generation slowly, Shawn, Belle, Phillip, etc but Langan wanted it to happen fast? Lorraine would have been good at Days in my opinion. I also think she was not given enough time to work magic at AMC before the cancellation. They signed her to a long term contract then cancelled the show.

Archived