February 6-10, 2011

Toups

• Members

B&B's ratings are still holding strong right now as they haven't been this high consistently since like 2009 I believe and Y&R's numbers outside of Friday are staying consistent so the CBS soaps are still in really good shape.

GH is still in a transition period right now as Ron C.'s stuff still hasn't started officially just yet. I don't think you're going to see GH really settle in until later in the spring when it finds its footing under his direction.

The scary thing about GH right now is that its lead-in is super low and it has to gain close to a million viewers everytime just to get to respectability. I'm really surprised its actually been tying The Chew every week since The Revolution debut so it speaks volumes on how bad The Chew is doing right now with a better lead-in from affiliates. GH also has a decision coming up by ABC to kep it or cancel it so nervous times are coming.

DAYS overall as a show still is a little bit slow but there's some angles right now that have just started to become interesting like I want fans to keep an eye on the teens turning dark in Will and Abby. Abby really interests me b/c she is starting to turn in to a crazy character and Sami is back to being bad for the first time in years. This is probably the first time since the new regime where I've actually been this invested in tuning in everyday.

As for the constant 2013 predictions I think its too early for anybody to really speak on that as I'm sure the ABC daytime debacle has really got the other networks thinking twice about getting rid of their remaining soaps but DAYS is still cheap enough to continue as Sony has done a great job keeping the liscence fee down. It seems like anytime someone is ready to throw in the towel on DAYS they never think about these things. If DAYS was going to be cancelled due to ratings it would've happened 3-5 years ago already.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not saying its immune but there's other factors that go into these decisions.

I agree LoveDays, soaps have been rehashing storylines for years and that's not really an overall problem the problem is the execution. I'm always entertained by storylines I see over and over again as long as its executed right. B&B's triangle is a definite rehash of Brooke/Rick/Taylor and I don't find B&B fans pointing that out.

• Members

I look at it more like a nuclear bomb. And the only beings that will survive a nuclear bomb are cockroaches, and of course, Cher.

AMC was vaporized.

OLTL was Cher, but even Cher would die without food!

and GH is the cockroaches.

The Chew and The Revolution are the radiation that will pollute what is left of the earth for all eternity.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I hope you didn't mean my "SB" answer to your post about recycling plots because I didn't intend it to be negative.

I'm a DAYS fan too and have been for 30 years now. While this regime isn't perfect, they aren't horrible either. At the very least, I do think the actors are having more adult, interesting conversations and I was enjoying the Stefano/Alice connection storyline (now I'm a little shaky on it). Either way, I'm sorry if you took my comment as being negative.

As for the ratings, it's hard to find them interesting enough to post about anymore since there's only 4 soaps and they all pretty much have their place. Hell, the most interesting thing that happens is a show hits another "ALL-TIME LOW" which isn't something I care to discuss, since the industry is dying right now and it's depressing enough as it is.

• Members

^At the end of the day thats true and I apologize if my posts offended anyone. But lets be honest even with slight ratings improvements of B&B and Y&R and OLTL in its final 9 months, non of these shows are setting the world on fire.An uptic of .1 or .2 is not exactly astronomical and the networks all barely making profits today are businesses and are looking for cost effective programming not only during the day but during primetime.It still angers me that NBC cancelled a great show like Friday Night Light but find money for a mediocre Grimm which is performing about the same but obviously there were business reasons.So be it. But I have to admit the lambasting of GH's rating floudering due to its lead in bugged me, I guess unjustifiably on my part, but the show has really been on a downward spiral for months if not years.

• Members

Lead IN may have something to do with it but GH has been circling the drain for quite a few years its been at the bottom tier I'm not sure about the demos but I recall them being out of whack & many sweep storylines tanking on numerous occasions (for years) . GH "alienated" many viewers with lousy storytelling and Frons / Guza only allowing pay offs for their favs its the reason I rarely watch. I just know how their stories will play out (execution) no surprises. I'm anxious to see what the new regime will do for however long they'll be on. .... to see stories told in a different way.

Archived