The Madonna Thread

YRBB

• Members

Her stage has to be the most elaborate stage in Super Bowl history, it was an amazing technical achievement.

The woman can entertain, love her or hate her, she works hard to put on an entertaining show. Unlike many others who could have phoned it in and live off of past performance routines.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Most singers who lip sync do so because they have other things happening regarding their performance. The focus is either split on different things be it dance moves, acrobatics, tricks or other demanding performance styles that physically exhaust them to the point of producing a weaker vocal which is why the backing vocal is needed. In some special cases it's just better to lip sync then it is to give a live vocal especially in terms of illness. Then there are also technical issues to take into account by the way the stadium/stage is built and sound issues that could arise through live vocals.

As long as it's their voice I don't really have a problem with it, especially if the performer is doing it for the reasons specified above. You can almost always find a raw vocal of an artist performing at least a song or more live, so I don't think there is much merit to the argument that most lipsyncers can't produce a live vocal in some capacity. If their standard of singing is not up to your own accord of what it should be that's your opinion. But again what are you expecting from someone who isn't known explicitly for their voice or vocal talent? You shouldn't really be expecting Whitney-esque vocals from someone who is not known for their voice. I think standards need to be re-evaluated when you take things such as that into consideration.

There was actually quite a controversy about it. You can see it all on wikipedia if you are interested.

Edited by Skin

• Members

One of the tracks on her new album is called Gang Bang. laugh.png

Track list.

» Girls Gone Wild

» Gang Bang

» I'm Addicted

» Some Girls

» I Don't Give A

» Turn Up the Radio

» Give Me All Your Luvin'

» B-day Song

» Superstar

» I'm a Sinner

» Masterpiece

» Falling Free

» Love Spent

» I'm F---ed Up

» Beautiful Killer

Edited by Skin

• Members

I am not setting a standard. They should sing, and then we should listen and either we enjoy their singing or we don't. I realize Madonna wants to put on a spectacle and she does, but maybe slightly less spectacular so she can sing and not be out of breath would be a good idea. You start with Madonna and you make allowances for the dancing and razzle dazzle, you then wind up saying "well it's Britney" and sooner or later you wind up at Milli Vanilli.

• Members

They don't have to sing. Few people go to a Britney/Rihanna/etc show because they want to hear live singing. They go for the atmosphere, the energy, the performance, etc, and they feel its worth the money. It's not like it's a scam or something. The fans know exactly what they're getting, and they want it. It's different if it's someone like Adele, whose fanbase doesn't expect a big, fast-paced spectacle of a show but does expect live singing.

Edited by All My Shadows

• Members

And that's exactly why I would never go to see someone like that. I've been to many concerts in my life, and with the exception of Milli Vanilli (Yes, I saw them, and I was well aware it was lip-synhced, but just went to see the man candy onstage) but otherwise, everyone I've seen has sung EVERYTHING live, and if they didn't I'd be pissed as hell. And they were all very enjoyable concerts, I didn't leave dissapointed at any of them:

Fifth Dimension

Monkees

Moody Blues

Cheap Trick

Mary Wilson

Heart

Elton John

Three Dog Night

Martha Reeves

Linear/Mister Mister

Turtles

Pointer Sisters

Gary Puckett

Martha Wash

Lou Christie

Temptations

Four Tops

Edited by alphanguy74

• Members

To be fair, on the topic of Britney, her shows haven't been spectacles in a decade, and she doesn't even really dance anymore. The production values overall are pretty terrible on her show when compared to others.

Rihanna does attempt a good amount of live singing, though she is terrible at it, and she can't really dance and doesn't pretend to.

• Members

Compared to who? Compared to today's performers Rihanna, Ke$ha, Katy and the like have horrible shows. Britney probably has the best show out of all of them. Her shows are actually pretty expensive and they all have extensive themes, sets and props for all of her performances which can't really be said about a lot of current pop stars who just kind of show up and walk around a stage for two hours. As far as dancing goes no one really dancers anymore in the pop industry. The days of the Janet's, Micheal's and hardcore Boy band dancing are long gone. That being said Britney will definitely do some dance routines in cages, swing around on top of giant guitars, perform on swing sets, dance on lifts and do more. That's not in your typical pop show nowadays. She is not as intense of a performer as she was in previous years. But she definitely has a show that encompasses a lot in terms of spectacle and if you enjoy that kind of show you most certainly will have a fun time watching everything come together.

I liked Vogue and Give Me All Your Love the rest was pretty uninspired and boring even though I liked the dance break in Music. I can't believe how many people she brought into her set though. Cee Lo, LMAFO, Nicki and MIA. That's a lot. She should have chose better songs. Open Your Heart? Like A Prayer? Music? She needed powerful energy movers. Any of her 80's material could have done the trick. Maybe Ray Of Light, Express Yourself and Into The Groove.

Edited by Skin

• Members

Twitter and Facebook (from what I have seen) haven't been as kind there are also some blogs that have responded negatively to it. I don't think it will matter though. The performance wasn't a disaster and it brought tons of publicity to her music. She's winning.

Edited by Skin

• Members

Britney's production and costumes are very much on par with Katy and Rihanna's these days, and I don't think Ke$ha has ever headlined anything substantial yet.

Kylie Minogue, who is a nobody in the US, has better stages and better costumes than Britney.

Britney's stage is very basic, as are her recycled moves she's calling dance routines these days. The choreography is very basic at her shows, and she has absolutely no passion for dance anymore.

There's nothing to be in awe of at her shows anymore, and we know she won't do much live singing. She's very much a hot mess in concert these days, IMO.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner