ALL: Soap Stars - Where are they now?

• Members

Sharon Brown who played the character Daisy on the CBS soap opera Love of Life in 1971, and she originated the role of Chantel on the Generations from 1989 to 1990 is currently in the Broadway revival cast of Caroline or Change.  She is the rare case of an understudy who has gotten her own published reviews.  Many will recall that AMC's Tonya Pinkins originated the role in the first production.

Sharon Brown is a REVELATION as Caroline. I've never seen or even imagined a take on Caroline like this (even on various videos I've seen) - while Tonya and most actresses I've seen clips of play the role pretty angry from the jump, Sharon didn't - her Caroline was clearly frustrated but not visibly or tonally upset. In Act Two, you could see the anger start to come out and then her performance of "Lot's Wife" might have been the best thing I have ever seen on a Broadway stage. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Sharon was one of the many Effies in Dreamgirls. She can hold a note forever. Many of the Effies were interviewed by Seth Rudetsky several months ago, it’s a great watch.

Her dad is Johnny Brown who played Bookman on Good Times. Sharon did an episode herself as “Fun Girl”, a young woman with a disability who corresponds with Michael over CB radio.

• Members

Ronn Moss (B&B) recently participated in a new Italian competition show called "Star In The Star." Celebrities imitate a famous singer, the same one week after week, right down to wearing a mask, until they get eliminated/voted out and they have to unmask to reveal their identities. Ronn impersonated Paul McCartney.

Edited by applcin

• Members

Exactly! Daytime soaps, in particular, have been terrible at utilizing technology to leverage their brand and most fans make too many excuses for this. Even the shows that got cancelled 10-11 years ago were around long enough to have made use of YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. 

If Ashton Kutcher could think to get on Twitter in early 2009, what's the excuse of these sophisticated @ss corporations like Sony and Procter and Gamble taking so long to figure it out? I know P&G didn't give a sh*t about their soaps but still...have some pride and pretend you care, lol.

And it's basically Eric Braden hopping on himself. These soaps are so haphazard about their engagement with viewers and potential viewers.

• Members

The saddest part is that even if a lapsed viewer tunes in, you won’t see Victor or Nikki actually doing anything. For all his faults, I think it’s smart how Ron keeps the vets working. I mean who ever expected to see a 96 year old top the monthly episode rankings?

There is a way to use the older characters in meaningful and impactful ways while building the younger generations. That’s one of the many things Josh Griffith doesn’t understand. 

• Members

Sometimes Ron does it well. Other times, more frequently in the last ten years, he just loads them up with fluff to fill space. I do think what he's done with Doug is the best of his nature, and he certainly understands it more than latter-day Griffith.

• Members

Victor dominated the show for years, to its detriment as  time passed. That also didn't seem to do much to stop a steady slide in ratings. The character also became incredibly one-dimensional and therefore difficult to use in a more supporting role. The main problem is many of the younger characters who could have taken some of Victor's role on the canvas were too weak to do so.