Nick At Nite Orders 80-Episode Telenovela with JFP and Josh Griffith

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is good to hear as I've been enjoying this little show more and more. I've also said before that I want this to succeed in some capacity so that others may be inspired to take on the telenovela. Even Nick-at-Nite will probably do another one after this one is done. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The main s/l has picked up a bit but maybe it just seems more interesting because of Chloe's big secret. The impact of the secret is not going to be nearly as great as it would have been because Eddie is no longer blindly in love with her. Some of the relationships are paced extremely well but the overall pace of the show probably costs them in term of s/l quality and impact.

Moving to TeenNick is probably a sign that this experiment didn't work out. They were previously airing episodes three times a night and on weekends and now they are just down to the one showing. I think they might have done better if they'd started out on TeenNick with proper promotion or started out on Nick in this same timeslot. Being the show leading into Nick at Nite made better sense than placing it in a Nick at Nite time slot. Anyway they are at least going to burn off the episodes which should take them into October.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm revisiting this thread because I read that JFP, James Franco and Steve Burton plan to work on a telenovela.

HH has turned out to be much better than I expected based on the beginning of the series. The acting is tolerable for the most part since only three of the actors are terrible in a distracting way and of those three one is cringe worthy. They play Adam, Adrianna, and Chloe. It may be that because the story lines picked up a bit, the bland characters benefit.

James Franco actually had his best scenes on one of their better episodes this past week. If they do move forward with their project, they hopefully will have learned something from this one and produce a much better series.

• Members

I watched for the first time tonight. Yeah, there is some not-so-great acting going on. Is it me, or has Grayson McCouch lost considerable weight? Seeing Shannon Kane definitely had me thinking of her as Y&R's new Lily. The guy she shared her scene with is a real sleaze.

Maybe they're a little too furniture show room perfect, but I liked the sets and the overall FilmLook look of the show.

• Members

The exterior shots are like a warning that they're about to show a scene with whatever character(s). IA about the furniture for the most part. The editing has been terrible in spots but overall it works.

I can't tell weight wise about Grayson McCouch. All I know is his character is sleazey and not remotely likeable. They finally gave me the scene with him I wanted but it lacked the bang it merited.

I haven't seen Y&R in ages but Shannon Kane would definitely be a huge change from Christel Khalil who to me lacks any kind of life. Although her character should be sympathetic because her husband is pretty much a jerk, they've made SK's Traci generally whiney. I think they went from zero to ninety in seconds with her extreme marital insecurities. It doesn't even matter that her suspicions were correct.

Ryan Spyek had a scene that made me laugh on yesterday's episode. It's too bad that they had to get almost halfway through their episodes before the show actually picked up because it might have actually done better on Nick at Nite with a better initial pace. I give them credit for writing a couple of well paced romances even if they were both telegraphed.

• Members

I don't see how anyone at Sony could have watched this show and felt that JFP should be given a shot at their most successful soap. Whatever is good about it just isn't good enough to merit her getting a better show to possibly ruin. It basically took over 30 episodes to get this to a somewhat interesting state and the biggest secret of the show has to this point been mismanaged when it should have been revealed already to allow for the aftermath and any sort of satisfactory ending for the main characters.

I feel a little bad for those petitioning for a second season of this. All they really seem to need to fulfill them is the girl meets rock star and falls in love. It's hard to believe that there was any discussion of a target demographic when this show was being developed. There's no way that there was any concern about the viewers and what they deserved at the end of the road.

On a different note--I don't like Jake and I really cannot stand his dated wardrobe. One day he's in some sort of salmon looking jeans that clash with whatever else he had on (he's not the only one with color clashing outfits) and his jacket with elbow patches....seriously, he dresses like an old insurance agent going through some sort of mid-life fashion crisis.

There's also Loren's (Brittany Underwood) hair and whatever is going on with those extensions. Grayson McCouch's hair is on the distracting side as well.

• Members

This thread can be my journal on bad tv that I watch for inexplicable reasons. I wanted to see how close this post came to what's transpired.

You caught Eddie's age and I didn't and I guess you missed that Loren is already 18. I thought they all were 18 except for 19 year old Phil but it turned out that Melissa was the one who had the 18th birthday. I had never considered why Eddie needed to be older--what you said makes perfect sense. Loren needed to be 18 so that she was legally an adult and Eddie wasn't falling for an under age girl. I'll give them credit for recognizing that but they probably didn't want to tackle any scandal type issues.

I didn't really think that it was not plausible for Eddie and Loren to be together. I just thought it would have made sense to make him a bit younger since she was still in high school. I also thought his whole blind love of Chloe was way over the top. They should have left her as his girlfriend and had Max find out about her before Eddie proposed. Her being engaged to him didn't make her deceit any more shocking. I will get back to this point later.

Their Mean Girls s/l is really just empty headed Adrianna's bizarre obsession with Loren. It's a totally one-sided affair.

The role of Chloe required a much better actress or someone who would have attempted to bring layers to the character. I haven't seen what you saw. She's manipulative and a gold digger with a sense of entitlement. The reveal of that relationship should have made Eddie look sympathetic because she broke his heart but there was this degree of patheticism in the way he continued to believe her despite the evidence. The worst part was when he asked Loren if he should take her back. By the time he'd finished dinner after Chloe made her scene, he was falling for Loren. It was beyond a hopeless romantic and more like a guy that just needs to be in love....only viewers are supposed to root for him and Loren to be together so they should have lightened up on the Chloe.

This is an excellent point about Eddie that I will comment on later. Max was clearly headed towards Nora. The only thing I wonder was whether his detour with the singer character that Josie Davis played even needed. It made hin look flaky after he slept with her to say that Katie was the issue when he had the hots for Nora. They didn't need to sleep together because it did nothing at all but add a scene with her being disappointed. And it certainly didn't bring any drama or spice to the show.

Nope. Just as I figured, their only conflict to date has been over Chloe. Eddie wanted his father to move on and was glad about it in the last episode.

Lisa is generally annoying. Once she told Melissa about her sister Beth, I saw the big sign that Beth was Melissa's birth mother. Gus is just the more tolerable male version of Lisa in terms of worrying over Phil.

I can't imagine they were using that office to attract anything but repulsion for Don and to cause people to shake their heads at Nora's desperation. That was just a bunch of filler scenes to give the impression that they actually wrote a sensible story. Ellie is an unsympathetic character who exists to show that Don is a sleaze. If she's supposed to be the lover scorned then she's got the vindictive part working well but she doesn't seem to be broken hearted over Don.

One dinner at the Tate's was it. I think Grayson McCouch exaggerates his physical movements which makes Don more of a caricature sleaze ball. Don/Adrianna interactions are painful to watch, imo. Loren's main role has been to be the voice of wisdom which her mother readily ignored. Nora seems level headed and there is no reason for her to have gotten involved with her boss. Plus that's another relationship that served no purpose. I don't get why there was a picture of them on whoever's desk that was. I know it was just to give some sting to their break-up but I cannot imagine anyone wanting him with Nora. What great dialogue....washed up pop star for washed up doctor/surgeon.

I think Phil's life of crime give them more than enough screen time. Her apologizing to Melissa is not something that needs to be shown over and over but it just might be.

As it turns out, Chloe is better suited for the teen crowd. I so envision a model who was on the cover of Maxim marching into a high school hangout to find out who the school's mean girl is in order to get her to ruin Loren's life. Bringing Loren Tate down in high school is supposed to cause her to have to distance herself from Eddie because he's the high school quarterback who can't be seen with her. Did adults write this stuff?

• Members

Besides all the other noted flaws one of the big ones is about Eddie being a non-entity. He's one of the main characters and his character has been totally defined by the supporting character Chloe. They gave her way too much significance in a show that is supposed to be about Eddie and Loren finding love with each other. This is a problem because Chloe is pretty much one dimensional.

I have not seen all the episodes but I doubt it makes a difference in terms of Chloe. Viewers were supposed to take Eddie's word for it that she's a wonderful person and the best girlfriend and subsequently fiancee ever because it would have been too much trouble to depict her being a great girlfriend to Eddie. They took over 40 episodes to get to the end of their relationship and the beginning of his romance with Loren which sucked up half of their season and still Chloe is a factor because of the biggest secret on this show. Why they couldn't have divulged it while they were still together and it would have had its biggest impact is beyond me. Instead they've held onto it to create more drama as the season is coming to an end. It's a safe bet that there will be no second season.

Eddie has gone from being drenched in his love for Chloe to his pain and misery over her deceit and now that his character is in a place which seems more in line with what he should be, he's going to be drenched in more Chloe. If Chloe had presence like any soap villain then his character being dictated by her actions might be workable. Unfortunately she has no depth. There were at least two episodes in which she expressed a modicum of remorse for killing Eddie's mother but that was overshadowed by her making herself into the victim. They've never shown her to have struggled with it any way or indicated that it kept her up at night. When Tyler and even her mother pointed out how cold it was of her to become involved with Eddie knowing she was responsible for his mother's death, she tried to make it seem as if it would have been cruel for him to know the truth and that it made perfect sense for her to comfort him. It was okay for her to get him to propose to her and for her to cheat on him with her ex who hates his guts. It's also okay for her to try to get him to take her back and for her to try to destroy Loren in order to accomplish that so she can live off his wealth and fame since she lacks a conscience. There is no reason for this one vile character to have that much of an influence over the "hero" character to the point where it takes up most of his existence.

They should have expended more energy on making him a believable rock star. He has a driver but never a bodyguard. His agent is only shown to have him as a client. His exclusive concert was so exclusive that Don apparently walked right into the club and Chloe was able to slither right in with her date who was supposed to make Eddie jealous. All she could do was snipe at Loren like Adrianna 2.0.

Eddie has to be the most gullible soap hero ever. They could not have written him any more pathetically in regards to Chloe. I would love to know how much of the storylines came from the original telenovela.

Archived