Four years of MAB and counting

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

2008 was indeed great and 2009 was solid for the most part. I also enjoyed the Katherne/Marge story A LOT and this was truly a treat. As was Jill vs. Nikki being fierce at Jabot in the beginning of MAB's run. It really went very south onwards and the show has been pure crap for 2 2 years running and it just gets worse and worse...

EDIT: looking at those screencaps, storyline stinkers like Tyra/Devon, Kevin and the Chipmunk now look as golden as Shakespearean theatre compared to what has happened since.

• Members

I even liked the Patty Jane/Adam haunting Ashley story and the miscarriage. The real problems started as soon as those stories had to be wrapped and the afternath was more contrieved by the minute. There just is Hamners Whodunit- and Sheffers mysogonism-style printed all over the show ever since.

• Members

For me Y&R died when Sheffer showed up. He kills shows and MAB just made it worse by only being interested when she needed a vanity project. The overhyped summer of 2008 revolved around shocking violence against women and treating women as garbage and only seen through a man's eye, and that's where we've been ever since.

MAB just seems arrogant, detached, and delusional in her work on this show. I could never get past those interviews she did when the soap press spent a year kissing up to her. To use her father in law's name and legacy over and over to defend her work was deplorable.

And we're supposed to be happy because hey, at least we have Bacteria and Shadam.

• Members

I agree that 2008 and 2009 were solid. I even started watching big time again during those years. But afterwards, yeah, I'm sure most is Hamner and Sheffer, but MAB doesn't have to agree to any of those storylines. I don't think they should have any HW also be EP. Brad Bell can mostly pull it off, but even then, I still don't agree with it. When did MAB become the EP? Maybe we can see the downslide starting with that?

• Members

I think the downslide started long before, but shell games, a supportive soap press, and anger towards the LML era hid it. Rauch was still around with the gaslighting - the most offensive story I've ever seen on any soap, and also with the pointless, destructive Philip return, the shameful story where we were supposed to get off on a mentally ill woman screwing three men, and reducing the black cast to barely above extra status.

Archived