GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got my Bauer DVD yesterday. First thing I did was watch the 1973 Episode.

Awesome!! As a GL Fan from 1979-2009, I never thought I would see an Episode

with Ellen Demming(Meta),Caroline Mcwilliams(Janet Mason) or Elissa Leeds(young Hope).

Theres even a scene with Ed, Leslie & a young Rick. This Episode is a real Gem, I'm glad it was Found.

The 1977 Episode, Mikes Man of the Year Is another Treasure.

I have always wondered what the First Hillary Bauer Looked Like. Hillary & Rita share a scene

at Cedars. Theres also a scene with Ritas Stalker Georgene Granger calling Cedars to check on Rita.

Loved Watching Rita watch persumed dead Bill Bauer Watch Bert,Mike and Ed. The Dobsons

were great Writers.

The 1980 Episode was also Great, I remember this Episode. Watching Roger drag Holly all over

Santo Domingo.

The 1984 Episode almost made me cry, I remember this episode too. Bert Bauer Learning to walk again.

Mike Bauer holding out his hands to her, then she says "It was just like yesterday when he was learning to walk,

she was reaching for him"

Thanks Soap Classics and Roger, For these great Episodes, Hopefully This Dvd will sell well and there can

be a Bauer DVD Volume 2

• Members

I can't wait to get mine! I am so excited to see those episodes. I definitely prefer the episodes prior to around 1984. I am even more excited to see it knowing that Rita's stalker story is going to be a part of it, even if it is just a small part. I feel this is the best release for GL yet. I am hoping they do a Hughes set for ATWT.

• Members

I concur! Bravo to Roger for this unexpected treasure. I watched soaps at the time, but I must admit that The Guiding Light of this era was not my favorite. I became a dedicated GL viewer in 1976 after the arrival of the Dobsons, thus any material prior to that time is mostly "new" to me. I have a script of the 1973 episode, but I never dreamed I would have the opportunity to see it.

How refreshing it is to see actors who resemble real people. They are attractive enough, certainly, but with unique faces and voices. Another poster mentioned actress Jeanne Arnold (Ellen Mason) to me, and she does have a Crawfordesque quality about her. Jeanne has very little to do in the scene, but she makes an indelible impression with her marvelous delivery and statuesque body.

I miss the days when actors utilized their bodies fully. Note the expression on Janet's face when she talks to her mother Ellen about Ed and Papa Bauer. There is a sense of genuine concern and wistful sadness. It is apparent in her voice, too, her enunciation of words, her modulated inflection. Caroline McWilliams does not look nor sound like one of our contemporary generic Midwestern soap actresses.

In those days when soaps were actually directed and not merely blocked as they are today, actors had an opportunity to add nuances of character. A scene as simple as the one with Janet and Ellen telegraphs so much to the audience without an ounce of expository dialogue. A new viewer would instantly sense that Janet has a deep affection for the Bauer family and probably a love for Ed, which she did. They would know that she is pregnant and no doubt sense that something is not quite right with the scenario. In fact, it was not. In this episode, Janet is separated from Holly's brother Ken Norris. She is pregnant with Ken's child, but he mistakenly thinks it belongs to Roger Thorpe. Meanwhile, Holly, Janet's sister-in-law, is making a play for Ed Bauer, whom Janet really loves. On today's soaps, this would all play out in the dialogue -a series of bitchy oneliners between Janet and Holly, or maybe even a catfight.

I miss the days of subtlety where you were constantly guessing about the true nature of the characters and what they would do next.

• Members

I watched some of the first episode on disc two without a problem. Then again I had an issue with the Phillip disc and still haven't contacted them... I really need to do that. I agree that Soapsuds has bad luck with these disks.

• Members

I finally got an email response to tell them I haven't received my Phillip or Lilden dvds. Hopefully I can get that sorted within the next few weeks. I LOVED the Carjack collection, so I'm really excited about the Lilden one. I thought the Carjack dvd flowed really well and felt like a mini-series. One thing I did notice was how poor some of the acting was from the younger cast post-2000. I never noticed it being that glaring before lol.

The 73 episode of Guiding Light was flawless. Absolutely flawless. It was well produced and the cast was amazing. It's so great that you didn't just find any filler episode, but a strong episode. I felt like I got a true feel for the show at that time. Bert and Meta had great chemistry and seeing the presumably original Meta, I do think Mary Stuart was a great recast. I also watched the Man of the Year episode, but that didn't make as much of an impact. I'm going to re-watch that and see if it plays better.

• Members

Received my Bauer family dvd a few days ago & have watched the 1973 & 1977 episodes. Loved the simplicity of Papa Bauer's memorial, I really teared up a bit when Ed was speaking and Mike was singing. I enjoyed seeing Elissa Leeds again. I remember liking her back then, probably because she was around my age. Loved seeing so much of Rita in the 1977 episode, as well as Peggy!

• Members

I finally got mine, it felt like it took forever I was so excited. The 1973 episode is wonderful. It was great to see Meta especially. Sara and Peggy can be seen in the background at the memorial. It was greatly paced, had the 70s soap feel that I love so much. I watched a 90s one though afterward and it was sad to see everyonr was gone. I can't wait to see the 77 episode next.

• Members

1973 episode was a real treat! I loved the organ music, the under-stated nature of the show, and one that showcases how close knit the Bauer family really way... I wonder if someone back then saved this particular episode due to episode being about papa bauers funeral.

The 1977 episode was a great episode... showcased Springfield as a thriving community and showcased some great scenes of Peggy and Rita... women both affected by Roger Thorpe (little do viewers know at the time how much of an effect he would have on Rita).. I assume that the texan woman was the stalker terrorizing Rita? My mom used to tell me how much she loved Rita and seeing this episode makes me understand why. She is a deeply flawed woman but with a heart lurking within... and the love/concern she feels for her sister Evie shows that she isnt heartless at all. I think if she wasnt secure about someone's love for her, she acted out... but I think she knew her sister loved her no matter what so she could show-case her human side. I know she and Evie dated a guy at the same time.. were either aware that the other was dating him?

The 1980 episode had so much going on in the episode... the main action was Ed/Michael trying to rescue Holly from Roger while news of this started to spread throughout Springfield. You can tell Marland was writing at this time because his one strength was the ability to show how each person reacted to news, etc. That said.. I like his writing in 1980 better then I did watching episodes in 1981 and 1982.. dont know why.

Those are the episodes I've watched thus far. Regarding the Bauer family dvd cover... I would have removed danny/Michelle. and replaced them with Ed/maureen.. Other then that, I love that they showcased the Bauer family and they still survived till the end of the show (despite the shows later attempt to replace them with the Coopers)

• Members

Love, love, LOVE my Bauer Family DVD!

Some musings:

I realise that Meta had ceased to be a regular by the time of Papa Bauer's funeral, but Bert's grief was certainly the focus, wasn't it? Bruce didn't accompany Meta back to Springfield (and wouldn't it have been fun to see William Roerick?). No mention of Trudy, who had probably ceased to exist in the audience's memory. Boy, that was a SMALL funeral for such a beloved community patriarch!

Peggy Scott--why did she keep returning to Springfield? This was her second return, I think. I believe there was another, longer return. I was confused at the time and kept thinking that Fran Myers was returning. Was it toyed with? (Of course, I always thought Rita and Holly would be back in 6 months after they left.)

That 2002 patriotic episode did NOT hold up well, sorry.

Did Blake and Ross get into it every summer at the BBQ? LOL.

I'd forgotten Holly's short blonder hair in 2002.

Seeing Meta sit chatting with Roger and Amanda at the BBQ cracks me up. WHAT were they talking about?

I need more Mary Stuart as Meta. The episode where she takes down Claire during Robbie's birth, and a later episode where she again goes head-to-head with Claire over the lighthouse preservation project.

Archived