GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Mary Stuart was great as Meta, though Ellen Deming was too. I wish there had been more than two scenes with Meta in that 1996 episode.

I thought the same thing about Papa Bauer's funeral. It was very small and even the Bauer family wasn't as populated. The first thing I thought about was Meta being in the background as Bert mourned her father. That was odd, but it was still fabulous and the more 70s the better.

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Watching some of the 50's episodes, I do feel a strange sense of betrayal when I watch one of the last available with Kathy, where she is beginning to accept that she will be paralyzed for life, and won't let her husband carry her around anymore. And then apparently not long after this she's shoved into oncoming traffic. There was something so fragile, and yet touching, about Kathy.

• Members

On the Bauer DVD I skipped the 1980 and 1984 episodes for the 96 one and I'm glad I did! I FINALLY got to see my dream pairing of Bridget and Nola together, plus I got to see Nola in the 90s. More Nola is great in general. Unfortunately, I could feel that the show isn't great at this time and they clearly don't understand Nola. At least in this episode she seems aged into that talk to quirky older lady role. She should still be a sexy leading lady at this point. HATE the outfit they have on her. And Josh Taylor as Quint? I'm biased since I dislike him so much as Roman on DAYS, but terrible.

It was also nice seeing Sharon Leal on the show! I'm about halfway through this episode and I'm not too sure what the Bauer focus is. I see Spauldings, Thorpes, Marlers and Reardon's, but I don't think I've seen any Bauer's other than Rick in a supporting role. I kept expecting Michelle to pop up, which is a big reason I decided to watch this episode.

ETA:

Spoke too soon, Meta is back and has spotted "Michelle" aka Abby! Very cute introduction scene. Yall don't know how nice it feels to see Mary Stuart again.

• Members

It was great to see 90s Nola, and she was a lot different than that of the 80s. Josh Taylor was the worst recast for Quint. And while it was great to see the twin storyline and Dahlia, I do wish they had chosen a more Bauer-centric episode than just a few scenes of Meta.

Its a great DVD though, probably my favorite so far.

• Members

I mostly saw Nola as being a kooky Iva - I don't think Lisa Brown could play the old Nola by that time, although she certainly could have done more than the bitter betty they gave her.

• Members

I would've preferred a more Bauer central episode with Meta as well, but I thought overall that was an interesting episode. I just can't get over how different Nola felt. It was a completely different character. And it also felt like the writers weren't interested in Bridget anymore. The writing for her felt like Nina towards the end when they gave up on her too.

\

And I agree! This is a GREAT set. I'm still waiting on Phillip and my Lilden sets though.

• Members

The couple set idea works really well. I thought the Carjack DVD was great and despite some omissions (due to recasts), the Lilden DVdD sounds good. I think Phillip & Beth is a good idea, but a Josh/Reva set would probably be a better idea to start. I'd also like to see a two disc set with two different couples features. Maybe Nola/Quint on on disc and Vanessa/Billy on another? Or you could do one disc of an older couple and one more modern one, for people with either a more niche audience or who were on the show a shorter period of time and might not have a full 10 episodes.

I'd also love to see a Hughes DVD for ATWT, similar to the Bauer one. However, I'd hold off until there's a better inventory of episodes, that way if they find any episodes pre-1979 they could be included. The Hughes family was so central pre-1979 that any episode found is bound to be a gem for that family.

• Members

The discount code was for only 30 days. sad.png

I'm not interested in getting another Reva or Phillip focused set at least not yet, even if it was more about a pairing then the individual. There are some characters I still wish we had gotten one focus episode. (For the record, I don't want another set with Carjack or Lilden for ATWT either until some other couples or characters get their chance in the spotlight.)

• Members

Hello everyone. I'm new here, so please be kind. I also agree that a Roger/Holly collection would sell. There is still footage from the "Roger Thorpe: The Scandal Years" VHS that I hope Soap Classics can find full episodes for, such as the admission of Roger to Peggy that he is the father of Christina and the confrontation that Roger has with Ed (with Holly in the middle). That latter one I believe is from 1976, and I think Roger said that he discovered two 1976 episodes of GL, but either had yet to view them or find a place for them in a future collection.

Archived