GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Roger, thanks so much for the Bauer set, mainly because we finally get the "blue sky" GL opening with the lighthouse. Simple yet elegant, with the theme music obviously still played in studio. La Lumiere is such a gorgeous song, both organ and orchestra.

I can vouch for finding things in the strangest places. Dan Curtis Productions was looking for Dark Shadows tapes about a decade ago and that's when they unearthed Peter Marshall episodes of Hollywood Squares that supposedly had been destroyed. You never know what you'll find. :)

• Members

You're lucky. I pre-ordered mine and it didn't ship out until last Saturday. Since you have yours, could you confirm exactly when in 1979 the episodes begin?

From the Amazon.de description, it looks like there's 25 episodes on 5 dual-layer discs. It would be nice if they started using these discs on future B+B releases, then we could get 50 episodes at a time.

Now that they've started to release GL episodes, here's hoping they do California Clan (Santa Barbara) next.

• Members

Wasn't it reported the SB masters were destroyed or something? I truly hope not as I would LOVE for SB to come to DVD. But between the master tapes issue and music stuff (though, perhaps, music issues are less stringent internationally), I don't hold out much hope there. But I would dearly love to be wrong!

• Members

I have just opened my German GL DVD pack!!!! And it is WONDERFUL.....

The quality and sound is 10/10. It contains 5 DVDs with a total of 21 episodes + bonus!!!!!

They are in German and in English. Each episode has the opening ( the one from 1979) you can hear the voice and now Guiding Light...and next you can see the German opening with the name and image of the main characters in 1979. We can also see at the end the English closing and next the German one. Those episodes were broadcast in Germany in 1981 with stories from 1979...

I have just seen the first episode and Roger is in Paris and phones to Alan, because he wants to come back to Springfield....

With the 5 DVDs, we also can find a booklet of 32 pages with pictures and the story of Guiding Light...a lot of information...the problem is that the booklet is obviously in German! But it is really nice....

And about the bonus....in the 5th DVD, we have a bonus section with the great episode of 1973 (Episode number 6569)!!!!! ( in fact there is a great explanation of this episode in the booklet). The episode is only in English with German subtitles and finally there is a trailer of GL only in German... only three minutes with the best moments of all the episodes we have in the DVD pack.

Finally, I think it has been a great purchase for me..... I love this DVD pack because it has been made with love and loyalty to the fans!!! I recommend it!!!!! People who love classic episodes will love this DVD set....and it is only the first one.... I guess that they will release more DVD packs of GL.....

Archived