GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thank you for the welcomes and thank you for the update, ~bl~. It's disappointing, but it makes sense. I was hoping to see some more vintage 1970's GL. Perhaps Roger and Soap Classics may still find more "buried treasure" in the archives...

• Members

After about 6 weeks, my Lily/Holden & Phillip DVDs have arrived! Now I have basically everything I paid for, except my second Phillip set, but I'm okay with that. Still not pleased with the poor communication though. I didn't even know they were resending these items. Communication can prevent a lot of frustration, but at least it's here!

• Members

I concur with everyone who has given this "Bauer Family" DVD set a thumbs up - it is fantastic. I have only been able to watch the first three episodes on Disc 1 and Bonus Episode from 1973, but these were completely worth the $20.00 price alone (well, $40.00 since I also purchased a copy for my Mom for Mother's Day). Don't hesitate to purchase this set, especially now that there is a 15% coupon available.

Some random thoughts:

February 27, 1973 - This is the episode that got my "must buy" attention the day this set was released. For the first time ever, I finally was able to see Caroline McWilliams as Janet Mason. There was even Roger Newman as Ken Norris in the background at the service! I just wish we had more of this (well, there are about 5 1973 episodes sitting at UCLA from what I've heard...). However, it was wonderful to finally get a glimpse of an era I've only read about and have seen many pictures for. Thank you, Roger, for "discovering" this! I was also curious as to why Meta was placed in the background for this memorial service. I would have thought she would have at least said a few words, seeing as this was her own father who passed away...

November 14, 1977 - Mike Bauer, Man of the Year. As one could tell by my avatar, I am a big Mike Bauer/Don Stewart fan. He, along with Mart, Lenore, Charita, Chris, Michael, and Maureen are some of the earliest childhood memories that I have. The Dobsons were definitely hitting their stride at this point. It is a fine example of an episode where the "action" is subtle, not over the top. Rita sees Bill watching Mike, Bill drops the picture, Rita picks up the picture, etc. I truly miss this era.

March 19, 1980 - The beginning of a two week chase for Roger Thorpe by the Bauer Brothers. Honestly, if I could say with certainty this would sell, I would love to see a two disc collection of the entire Santo Domingo chase. It has some very good acting/interaction between Ed and Mike (with Ed wondering to Mike if the time came, could he/would he use a gun on Roger), and Roger and Holly talking and arguing their way through the jungle. Oh, well - maybe Soap Classics will eventually provide a "DVD On Demand" service once their streaming model is up and running.

June 27, 1984 - Charita was brilliant in the episode, as was Don Stewart. This probably comes down to over 15 years of working together. A prime example of why 1984 was a great year for GL (in my opinion). It's too bad that it would all change in just a few months...

Thanks again to Roger and Soap Classics for this! Some day I hope we get "The Bauer Family Story", Volume 2.

• Members

Roger,

I suppose it was a case of not knowing what to do with her. She had no children of her own to guide, and she didn't really have a direct connection to anyone else on the show at that time (unless someone can point one out for me?). I just found it odd that at her own father's funeral, she really didn't have any input, and was more or less the support for Bert.

Yes, I'm definitely enjoying it...keep 'em coming wink.png .

• Members

If I'm not mistaken, Papa Bauer lived with Bert. Meta and Bruce lived in New York. Bert had assumed primary caregiver duties. Still, Meta was Papa's daughter. Her own husband and sister didn't even attend the funeral. It was definitely about Bert and her family.

• Members

Not sure what you mean. SoapClassics has licensed the final 6 P&G soaps. There just hasn't been physical room for those tapes or time to get more done that has been done already. Those tapes are in storage as far as I know, although I did see the final episodes of both SFT and EON floating around a few weeks ago. Let SoapClassics know you want to see those shows. I think the way this goes will be determined by the fan's input and what sells.

Archived