GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the only way to really get those SFT/AW/EDGE dvds off and running if there is a fan of those specific shows who can focus on an initial release. We need an initial releas eot see if there is any demand for those shows. If not a 20 episode collection, just do 10 to start (although I'd do 20 for AW considering we do know its still successful). Then we need a fan with information on key episodes they can look for which might make it easier to compile a boxset. I'm sure somebody like saynotoursoap would be useful in a case like that.

• Members

I don't know if this is a good spot for it, since this technically is a GL on DVD thread, but here are a few episodes I would like to see on an EON collection:

1. December 1, 1975 - The 90 minute-long episode that kicked off EON on ABC. This began the Serena Faraday story arc.

2. April 4, 1976 (I hope I have this date correct) - This is the episode that's on YouTube, but I would love to see a higher quality episode (although I don't know if it exists in the P&G archives). This is the conclusion (almost) to the Serena Faraday story arc.

Here is a list from the old Edge of Night website of episodes that were apparently in the P & G archives:

PROCTER & GAMBLE Corporate Archives:

1. V-428

a. The Edge of Night. December 1962. With original commercials.

b. The Edge of Night. December 1962. With original commercials.

2. V-685

a. The Edge of Night. Opening scene from 1960's episode.

b. The Edge of Night. Scene with Angela Talbot and David Gideon. Phone call from Rick Oliver. (1966).

c. The Edge of Night. Horseback riding scene remote. (July 1978).

3. V-886

a. The Edge of Night. Whitney dinner party. (8/6/70). Color. With original commercials.

4. V-898

a. The Edge of Night. Laura Hillyer confesses the murder of Rick Oliver to Orin. (11/8/66). With original commercials.

5. V-945

a. The Edge of Night. Last Show. (12/28/84).

6. V-987

a. The Edge of Night. (9/9/82).

b. The Edge of Night. (9/10/82). Troy Bannister kills Ted Loomis.

7. V-1082

a. The Edge of Night. Mexican remote footage.

Personally, I would be interested in the episode from 1970, as it is probably the only visual remnant of the Keith Whitney/Jonah Lockwood storyline.

• Members

AW was my favorite soap and SFT was my first soap. But the tapes for those shows are in storage. It's not about knowledge of the shows, it's about physical storage and equipment to do it and all those logistical things. There are a few reel to reel machines that are working on lots of projects and encodiong GL and ATWT when there is any open spot. Hopefully the other shows will be on the radar at some point, or maybe the encoded episodes from the P&G Classic Soap Channel could come back streaming online again. But fans have copied a great deal of those complete episodes onto YouTube already so not sure if enough would pay. It will be interesting to see how these things sell when we get to that point.

• Members

Oh OK. What I meant, by the way, was if P&G was holding SoapClassics up for more money than would be feasible to pay, in order to license anything other than what SoapClassics already has authorization to release. I've seen similar situations occur, in regards to blocking shows from being shown in cable reruns. A good case in point is the fight over "The Price is Right", between FremantleMedia (who owns TPIR and the rest of the classic Mark Goodson-Bill Todman Productions catalogue) and Sony Pictures Entertainment (who owns "Game Show Network" [or "GSN" as it calls itself nowadays]), who have been going at it tooth and nail over rights to show classic TPIR episodes on GSN, and the only thing that is an issue is that Fremantle wants more money than Sony is capable of coughing up. That fight has been ongoing since 2000, when Fremantle bought out the rights to the Goodson-Todman series. Does that clear up what I was trying to ask?

• Members

Also, speaking of tapes, I understand the 1973 GL episode with Papa Bauer's funeral was misfiled in a box mostly containing episodes from 1979... In cases like that, with disorganized archives, when you stumble across a tape that is not where it should be (as far as production order goes, like the example I just cited), how do you figure out what you have just unearthed? I suppose sometimes you get lucky and find a tape which still has the original slate announcement intact on it (like the 1973 GL episode), but how do you "date" an episode when there is no slate intact?

• Members

If I were doing a dvd set of Search For Tomorrow I would take from my collection and call it: The Begining; Joanne vs The Barrons

9/3/51 FIRST SHOW JOANNE BARRON COMFORTS HER DAUGHTER PATTI WHEN HER HUSBAND KEITH IS LATE COMING HOME FROM WORK.

1/30/52 KEITH BARRON RECIEVES A LETTER FROM JOANNE.IRENE BARRON TRYS TO TURN PATTI INTO A REAL BARRON.LOUISE BARRON IS DISSAPOINTED IN KEITH.

2/22/52 JOANNE AND KEITH BARRON ARGUE OVER HIS MOTHER IRENE.

5/2/52 A WIDOWED JOANNE BARRON RECIEVES A SCARLET LETTER A IN THE MAIL.

XMAS 1952 JOANNE BARRON CELEBRATES THE HOLIDAY WITH PATTI AND THE BERGMANS.JOANNE GIVES PATTI A TOUR OF THE MOTOR HAVEN.

3/27/53 JOANNE BARRON AND DR HILTON TRY TO FIND OUT WHAT MIGHT HAVE CAUSED WILBUR PETERSON TO BE MUTE. VICTOR BARRON HIRES A MAN NAMED SAWYER TO FIND OUT WHO IS CAUSING TROUBLE AT THE MOTOR HAVEN.

4/3/53 IRENE BARRON'S PLOT AGAINST JOANNE BEGINS TO UNRAVEL.

4/14/53 JIM WILCOX AND JOHN EDDY PLAN TO LEAVE TOWN WITH IRENE BARRON HOLDING THE BAG.WILBUR PETERSON REVEALS TO JOANNE BARRON WHAT REALLY HAPPENED THE NIGHT HER HUSBAND KEITH DIED.

4/53 IRENE BARRON HAS KIDNAPPED PATTI AND ARTHUR TATE AND STU BERMAN WITH JOANNE BARRON FRANTICALLY SEARCH THE WOODS.

Tell me what you think of this set.

• Members

No, they are selling well. I figure everyone would love to make money on these old episodes. They are going pretty quickly in terms of volume but has anyone in history ever tried to encode this many episodes of anything? It doesn't exist anywhere else. If there was a way to have them all magically encoded then it would be easy to mix and match DVDs and offer various streaming packages. Hopefully someday.

It wasn't misfiled, it was just in a random box. I guess you could say it wasn't filed at all. What exists isn't well-documented at this point other than we know we have 1979 forward for most.

• Members

In regards to undocumented "vintage episodes" turning up here and there (for the purposes of GL, I'll call anything prior to 1979 "missing, presumed destroyed" unless an actual master tape [or a kinescope, for episodes produced prior to the switch to pre-recorded shows] is discovered to prove otherwise), when a "presumed destroyed" episode is indeed located, do you have any particular method for documenting what exactly you found, so that it won't go missiing in the future? I'm assuming any sort of "master list" would include production number, recording date, and air date, among other things... correct?

• Members

The entire list of episodes available could be documented somewhere that we will discover at some point as well. I'm keeping a log as things are discovered. It's usually labeled pretty well making me thing someone somewhere has documented this before.

Archived