GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This looks like a fabulous set to have. I really wish Soap Classics would offer something similar for purchase domestically, even if it is in an "on demand" format like they do with the "Falcon Crest" sets through Warner Brothers. They could use bare bones packaging (plain label DVD-Rs, etc). That is, if Soap Classics have already have done these particular episode transfers for future streaming. For those who have this German set, is there anything on it regarding music issues (songs which would need clearances)?

• Members

Yes, there could be. In one episode, Greg Fairbanks takes Eve Stapleton to a disco. I do not recall the music, though. In another episode set in prison, a radio is playing in the background during a scene with Holly and Clara. Blondie's "Accidents Never Happen" from their Eat the Beat album is heard, along with B.B. King's "Why I Sing the Blues".

Also, I wish to correct a mistake I made previously. I stated that the episodes on the German release were from September 1979; however, I have watched all 21 episodes, and I realize now that I was wrong. The first episode on the disc is from Friday, November 2, 1979. The last episode is from Monday, December 3, 1979. These episodes follow the death of Brandon Spaulding and the marriage of Justin Marler and Elizabeth Spaulding. The episodes concentrate primarily on the dissolution of Ed and Rita's marriage, Lucille Wexler's second attempt to kill Ben McFarren, and Roger's return to Springfield. The episodes are fantastic. This, in my opinion, was the best period for GL.

The only caveat for those who care about that sort of thing: the original end credits are not included. Every episode has the same abbreviated ending, with Allen Berns crediting the fashion providers and a "Videotape Presentation of Procter & Gamble Productions". The openings are intact, though they cut off before the sponsor plugs. Every episode also includes the German openings and closings, which curiously utilize the "My Guiding Light" theme from 1983 with a still shot of the "abstract trees" opening. You can see all of this on my youtube channel, where I uploaded the first episode from the disc. I will not make all of the German releases public because I do not wish for anyone to think that I am attempting to compete with Soap Classics. I want Soap Classics to succeed and hope that my sole upload encourages fans to buy more discs and make more requests for these wonderful episodes.

• Members

I loved the episode you uploaded. Some of the scenes were so stylish, and the show had a real sophistication, not the strange dead spots which often take up AW and ATWT starting around this point. I especially loved seeing Lucille - what a rich character. The flashback to Ben's murder plot, the attempt to win over a disgusted Ben...

I wonder if GL ever contemplated going through with the plastic surgery story and having Roger return with a new actor.

• Members

Roger, are we close to having streaming episodes available on the SC site?

I loved Lujack in the top hat, as well as the entire cast participating in Springfield's birthday celebration, in the free SC online episode! wub.png

My German DVD set arrived last Saturday (after 2 weeks + 1 day in the mail), and it was well worth the wait and the $50! :) That's how I really love my soaps, with consecutive episodes drawing me into stories I hadn't seen, over 30 years later! CB's Alan and Roger, perfectly matched acid, wily adversaries. The tender side of the villains shown: Alan's pure (as much as he could muster) love for Hope, as well as Roger's desperate, all-consuming love for his daughter Christina. The scheming side of Roger seducing Renee into his "perfect" new European family. Lucille's failed plot to kill Ben, nearly killing her beloved Amanda instead. The intrigue starting to build about who Amanda really was (a Spaulding?). Mike and Elizabeth's old embers flaming again, trumping her new marriage to Justin. Jackie returning for Mike too and trading barbs with soon-to-be-ex-husband Alan. Ed and Rita's marriage crumbling, complicated by a WTD pregnancy, with one of the possible fathers her sister Eve's new boyfriend, Eve still pining for Ben. The Bauer family treasure Bert being Bert! Viola channeling Bert trying to help her wayward daughter Rita. Holly's realization that she didn't kill Roger in cold blood and could possibly regain her freedom. Lighthearted fun with Katie/Mark/Floyd/Hillary. I can't wait for the next set! :)

• Members

All of the CBS soaps were preempted on Thursday, November 22, for Thanksgiving Day parades and NFL football. Specifically, GL was preempted for the Chicago/Detroit game. To my knowledge there were no other preemptions in November that would have displaced GL, though I could be wrong. The episode dates seem to be correct, as Thanksgiving is mentioned having been the day before on the Friday the 23rd episode, and the cliffhanger episode in which Rita gets news from Dr. Newman, and Lucille's attempt to murder Ben goes awry, are also Friday shows.

Archived