GL on DVD!

MissLlanviewPA

• Members

I love long consecutive-episode DVD sets. For me that's what soaps are all about; the story and suspense building in small increments every day! :) If new German DVD sets are released in the future, please post here. Everything they and SC release for GL, I'll buy!

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not sure. A fan mentioned something to me a while back about remembering a song at the trial but I didn't notice when I first watched and then when I watched them all back later they had already been edited. Nothing comes to mind like an "Enough is Enough" Hall of Mirrors moment or "Almost Paradise" on the beach or the Musketeers prom. And definitely no one sang. The one thing about a trial is you are less likely to have those problems. Plus, I thought it would work well with a 10 consecutive episode format.

• Members

Derek was Ross' protege back when soaps truly had supporting characters. Harley Venton went on to a long stage and prime time guest star career. Derek had a nice relationship with Hillary that she ultimately ruined by mooning over Kelly Nelson.

The DVD cover makes NO sense. I would've preferred head shots of Jennifer, Mike, Ross and Amanda.

Jennifer was a strong addition to GL. She dated Mike but Morgan's dislike for Mike ruined that. Her surprise marriage to Mark was a shocker. But the end of the BUZARRE Mark mystery really spelled the end of her character. Writing out Morgan, Amanda, and Mike shortly thereafter didn't help. But the Lewises were about to take over the show.

Chet Stafford--I remember at the time that only my mother guessed that he was Eve's stalker. Chet was obsessed with Amanda's happiness and Ben and Eve's reconciliation threatened that.

• Members

Pinter wasn't supposed to be on the cover. He didn't start until later that year. I guess that was just a mistake someone made along the way doing the art. There weren't really any good shots of Geraldine Court that was available to them apparently, other than this one. Nothing from back then is high-res or good quality. I haven't really seen many great shots of Geraldine Court from this time. Screen caps on the DVD cover aren't an option so they have to use the best of the photos they have the rights to.

Was watching some '79 episodes today, I think the ones that are on the German DVD. Ed's green screen jogging with three really horrible fake backgrounds is something I don't remember them doing at all. Peapack was a masterpiece compared to that. But the stories were so engaging I guess we didn't care about that as much back then.

• Members

Back in 1979 it is possible people were even watching on a black and white television so something like a bad green screen would be less noticeable.

I'm glad you gave clarification on the cover, as I thought it was confusing based on who is on the DVD.

• Members

Katie Parker, RN, AKA The Message Center. I'd almost forgotten how everyone told Katie and Hillary ALL their business...where they were going...who they were meeting...LOVE IT! (I also love how Cedars was apparently a one-floor hospital despite that elevator. Everyone worked on the same floor. Where were they going? A basement cafeteria? LOL)

• Members

It's absolutely fascinating to see the early versions of Ross and Vanessa, before they both became pillars of Springfield society.

Was it this Jennifer Richards trial and the fallout that started Ross on the road to the Ross most of us are more familiar with? I know this had to be before he married Carrie, because Jackie is still alive and married to Justin, but seeing Ross so disconcerted over Amanda's collapse and miscarriage and admitting to Evie (who became a brunette sometime between 1979 and 1981, would have thought it was a recast if I didn't know her voice immediately) that the truth wasn't what he'd been after while trying the case. I wanted to reach through the screen and hug him and say, "Don't worry, Ross, you became a better person!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I got an email from Soap Classics saying to order the DVDs we want ASAP because they're going out of business or something. :( I think the only things I need to order at the Bob and Kim DVD and the Jennifer Richards one. Such a shame they never released anything for AW, SFT or Edge while they had this going. I would've loved anything from those shows.

• Members

I don't know. This is news to me. We haven't worked on much since the summer. There was one DVD in the pipeline finished a few months ago that has never been released that I was expecting to come out this month.

It may be totally unrelated but music issues have been a bear. The past several months have been spent looking at that on the discs already released, even though a lot of time was spent looking at them before they were released. I was at the office a couple of weeks ago and episodes were still being encoded for potential streaming so I'm not sure how the license suddenly is over. The end date is something you would have known all along, right? I'll see what I can find out.

It takes A LOT of work on their part to encode the tapes and edit them including scrubbing music (most of which before late '90s can't be scrubbed AND can't be used). Then you make the DVDs, take orders, deal with customer service issues, ship stuff out. It's a pretty small operation that has a lot of other business going on. I don't know their biz model at all but always hoped the ROI was worth it for them.

They are great people and have always had the best of intentions wanting to bring this stuff to soap fans so will be sad if ATWT/GL go back into storage like the other four available P&G soaps.

Archived