megan mctavish?

• Members

ok im gonna go out on a limb here, but does anyone else think that Megan McTavish would be a good fit for DOOL's? let it be said that im a fan of what M&D have brought to the table with DAYS but it just seems lately there is only good scenes and not really much story. i think i may be more of a supporter of what Maxem gave us with the production and am holding out to see what lisa and team bring us? but if the writers continue to fail i was thinking megan would be a perfect fit for the show. she's very similar to James' style of writing and her AMC stints were not always bad and was very much like the 90's DAYS type of writing! lord help me for saying this out loud but i actually would like to see what she would bring to DAYS!!! any opinions? im ducking lol

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't say because I don't know enough about the true DAYS - only longtime fans can really say that. I think when the proper producer is there guiding her, she can be an excellent headwriter, one who acknowledges history and builds a sense of family and community, and who knows how to pace stories. Her best work is some of the best i have ever seen on daytime.

When she does not have the right help, she is a nightmare.

I don't think daytime has any other writer who is quite so bipolar in her writing.

• Members

I thought some of her 2003-2004 stuff was also good, and gave AMC a sense of flair and identity again. I liked a little of her 1998 run (mostly Stuart/Marian, and Opal meeting Adrian). I think she decimated the show with some of her other stories but since I didn't think it improved all that much after she left (or before her returns) I'm not sure how much was down to her.

Her worst work for me was on GL, with mid-late 1996 being a living hell. It was a miracle the show was not canceled.

• Members

I wonder how much of her nightmareish writing being a lashing out at TPTB above her demanding 'shock and awe' storytelling and 'focus on the young stars' mandates. I could see her reaction being "fine, here's something ridiculous and shocking! UNABORTED FETUS!!" and "You want focus on young stars? THE ENTIRE SHOW IS NOW ABOUT BABE!1"

The trick is, she probably learned to just treat the job as a paycheque and unfortunately, had no respect in the end for the shows themselves. I could see there being a LOT of unhappiness behind the scenes leading to these kinds of brash, destructive story decisions made out of spite.

• Members

It's all very odd, and something I'd love to know about, especially the whole thing with Dixie, a character she basically built, and yet seemed to struggle heavily with writing for in 2006, before finally killing her off in spite. I wonder if McTavish and Cady had very different views of the character, and when Cady angered the network, McTavish got the green light to do that pancake nonsense.

There was also the Edmund fiasco, a character McTavish seemed to love, and wrote well for in her first two runs, only to demolish him when those rumors of backstage tension between actors led to John Callahan's exit.

She can be very, very good - even her last months on AMC has some very strong stuff. She is just all over the place. I do wish another soap would give her a try, as they have nothing left to lose.

• Members

The problem is she can be effective but I don't think Greg Meng is anymore than a yes man for Corday. I assume thats why Maxam was fired. If Ed Scott or Gary Tomlin were still around to contain her maybe, although I am not certain how well Tomlin controlled Higley. But the show and stories lack stakes and drama so at this point whats there to lose. Maybe Rafe could bury EJ alive and let him die ala Tad Martin.

Archived