November 21-25, 2011

Toups

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whats great to see is OLTL is going out on TOP with a BANG. They had a very good year ratings wise, got SOD best show, ratings are very good. The best feeling is when you know a show is leaving the airwaves on TOP/STRONG CREATIVE. Some shows are DOA or wimper to the finish line but OLTL IMO is going out with a BANG and on top. It shouldn't have been cancelled, it is what it is. Is anyone satisfied? is OLTL the strongest show to EVER GET CANCELLED?

• Members

Jonnysbro - I LOVE your enthusiasm. OLTL has its moments, but even a repeat of Y&R beat every original OLTL last week. There's only 5 soaps left. They are ALL Top 5. I've seen alot of soaps cancelled and I would not rate OLTL the best soap that was cancelled. Too many fake deaths. The GiGi stuff is embarassing to the soap opera genre.

• Members

What a week for OLTL & DAYS especially DAYS as I haven't seen consistently at 2.5 million viewers for three straight days in a long time. The show itself is finally getting better as this has been a slow reboot process so far but it seems like viewers are finally catching onto it.

B&B has been solid and consistent since the summertime. If it keeps this up through 2013, CBS may decide to hold onto it.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that CBS actually did cancel it. In the 80s, CBS was willing to cancel its lowest rated soap at the drop of a hat for something more glamourous. This is in huge contrast to how that newtork kept GL on well past its expiration date.

Perhaps I'm the only one here who feels this way, but the ratings Y&R and B&B have are far more impressive than the "great" showings made by DOOL and OLTL. (When shows are up for renewal, their ratings are often compared to the ratings of all the other shows on daytime. Networks usually don't compare a slightly improved rating to an even worse rating of a given show and conclude it's worthy of renewal, especially if it is losing money.) Even if Y&R has lost a lot of viewers over the past year, it still is in a position that any other soap would love to be in, so I fail to understand how anyone can claim its ratings are disappointing (while touting the "successes" of soaps that rank far below them).

• Members

CBS would be foolish to get rid of it unless its ratings unexpectedly collapse. The fact that B&B is a 30 minute soap also will likely make it harder to find a potential replacement for it. (Because I'm guessing far more hour pilots are made for daytime than half-hour ones.)

• Members

At the time it was because they genuinely could afford to, though ABC started beating them in the 80s. But they had an embarassment of riches ratings wise for much of the 60s and 70s and so could drop shows easily as unsuccessful that the other networks (well particularly NBC for much of that time) would kill for.

• Members

I thinkt hat was around when they reallys tarted slipping but, no they weren't. GH is Frons' favorite (I think, as much as that's conjecture, it's hard not to disprove), it has that "brand recognition" that fans love to talk about, it didn't film in New York which while cheaper ABC seems to not like as much, etc, etc

Archived