OLTL: Discussion for the week of September 19th

• Members

You know it's a slow day when you just sit there waiting for an appearance by Morris...

Stacey played by EITHER actress is just such an unappealing concept in so many ways, I really still can not fathom who thought this was a good idea to bring her back, and center so much around her. I don't know why Todd feels the need to constantly tell people he WANTED to kill his brother but he didn't. And don't they have guards listening in or security cameras in the cells? Can't anyone hear Irene's threats?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I must be the only one not really amused by Morris. I'm not a fan of RC's love of silly campy scenes.

Less than 4 months to go off-air and RC wastes so much airtime on one of the most HATED characters of the last decade? This smells of RC's efforts to make Kish relevant again. The Sierra Rose pictures and Kim visiting Kish mentions seems targeted to build audience demand for them.

Because then RC can hit us over the head that RH's nobler, gentler, reasonable Todd didn't kill him FOR love of HIS KIDS...

I preferred RH's Todd saying to his mom I am glad he's dead, mom.. that was truer to the SOB the character should be.

• Members

It might sound silly to do so, but I'd have Echo become manager for one of the local TV stations. If nothing else, this would give Echo a power base, for lack of a better word, along with something substantial to do than just being Rex's bio mom and Shane's grandmom. (I actually like women -- and men -- who have careers and families. Go figure.)

Moreover, I'd (slowly and gradually) position her as a possible spoiler to Bo and Nora's union. Between Matthew's condition and Destiny's pregnancy, Nora must be preoccupied; and that has to get to Bo after awhile. But Echo can't be portrayed as a willing homewrecker. She must be someone who forms an easy friendship with Bo (somehow, I can see RW and KZ developing a nice sort of rapport) and is there to be his sounding board, but who (again, gradually, and somewhat reluctantly) finds herself in a most awkward position. One that is certain to provoke emotions from a wide range of people: Nora, Clint, Viki, Rex and Shane, etc.

Then, I'd have Clint hire a private investigator (played by Robert Newman) to dig up dirt on Echo that he (Clint) could use as leverage to force Echo out of town. This is important for three reasons: one, when the private investigator inadvertently crosses paths with Cutter, we learn he is also Cutter's dad; two, his investigations arouse the interests of Echo's brother, Giles, who has been looking for his sister and who also knows the truth about the Countess DiSavoy (namely, that she was never a countess, that her and Giles' connection to Clint might have been a con job, and that Giles wasn't the only reason she abandoned Rex and went underground); and three, it actually sows the seeds for what will be, hopefully, a quadrangle among Echo, Bo, Cutter's dad/the p.i. and Nora.

• Members

Oh, I was actually just making a jokey, dumb comment. I don't really want more air time with him I admit, but it does bug me the pacing of some of these other fairly over the top stories--like this Gigi/Stacey thing. Unless there's some huge twist I haven't guessed, by this point you'd think they could just show us if she has transformed herself to look like Gigi, or whatever. I think it's dangerous when soap "surprises" are played two beats behind the audience, instead of ahead.

I'd be thrilled if Kish came back, but I'm not sure if it's worth Stacey coming back and all of this. RC has had the benefit of a longer time to know the show is ending (on network tv) than AMC had, but it doesn't seem like anything is lewading there. Of course the gossip is that OLTL will just go directly to online with no big resolves, but I hope they find a compromise (and no, I don't mean having someone bring back everyone from the dead tongue.png ). It does seem like they're starting to work some major character returns which is good, as for a while it felt like we were just getting more and more newbies--and of course some like Deanna (she may have been written before the cancelation), and now Baz have just been outright duds from the get go, which can be frustrating. And it just totally baffles me that they seem to think any audience would want Stacey back on the canvas.

Agreed.

Oh, and I'd like Echo to stick around--they need more "older" women on the show particularly with Dorian gone. But they have to find her something more interesting to do (and I did feel having her try to suffocate Dorian was a bit much).

• Members

RC's writing is too much like a sledgehammer not to be on purpose. I've come to believe he enjoys the FARCICAL aspects of the audience GUESSING where he's heading long before the characters onscreen do. Think about all his big reveals, none have been real shockers... he hit us over the head with anvils so hard, we figure it out and then scream at our characters for weeks, come on, FIGURE IT OUT. He believes how the characters learn the truth is more important then the surprise itself.Does that make sense?

Agreed.

Outside of Tina & Cord returns, all I see is RC positioning his characters for his 3 white couple reunions and weddings. The lack of diversity is more stark than ever on OLTL.

• Members

I definitely agree with the problem of diversity.

And yes, your sledgehammer comment makes perfect sense. It's true that to SOME degree that is a traditional aspect of soap (and Reilly certainly IMHO overused it as well, which is why I found his shows--well one reason--so frustrating to watch), but if you're pulling out the story and reveal you have add new elements, have character growth, etc--not just repeat the same, or similar, "almost reveals" every few days for a few months...

• Members

Unfortunately, the show hasn't really cultivated many diverse couples in a while, at least not since the purge in 2010 of Kish, Rachel, Sky, etc. which is still awful to me. I suppose you can make a case for Destiny and Matthew, but Shenell Edmonds' poor acting and Eddie's absence dragged that down for me. And sadly Antonio and Talia were destroyed, as were Cris and Layla, with neither couple having gotten much airtime or investment, even when the show reportedly wanted more. What we've often heard is that the Frons network regime generally subscribed to a philosophy of token diversity versus a sustained commitment, and while OLTL has continued to have a minority canvas, the ratio of lip service versus actual representation has certainly gotten out of whack. They would have us believe that Dani and the Fords are young minority leads by virtue of Latina parents, and it just seems like a feint when obvious Caucasian actors were hired (ironically, Lenny Platt, who is apparently actually Latino, comes off the whitest of all to me). This is also why Y&R has held onto Christel Khalil - they get to call it an interracial romance while hiring the lightest actress possible to play Lily Winters.

• Members

This is my biggest problem with Echo. She's simply usurped the positions previously occupied by Roxy and Dorian. It's helped (for me) to have her teaming up with Roxy. Now that the Vega's are gone, they could write Carlotta to move to Barcelona and Rex could buy the diner for Echo. Except, Echo really doesn't work. Can't see her doing the day to day thing at the Diner. It would be very out of character IMO. But it would allow her to interact with all the different characters in Llanview.

This is a great explanation for something that has puzzled me and it makes perfect sense. It also explains why things are so long and drawn out. Not sure I approve of the writing strategy, but at least your explanation clears up that there is a strategy. I've wondered. It completely explains why the fallout and the big reveals just sputter and die. RC's belief is that the story is in the whole twisting and turning building up to the reveal. He completely neglects the finale and the aftermath of the story. Doesn't bode well for the finale of the broadcast version of the show IMO.

Archived