Most miscast soap roles

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yet, for whatever reason, I enjoyed AR as Frank because he wasn't the traditional "leading man." He might not have been drop-dead gorgeous, per se, but when I think of a guy such as "Frank Ryan," a highly principled cop-turned-politician from a staunch, blue-collar, Irish Catholic family, with an all-too-human weakness where his love for independent Jillian Coleridge was concerned, that's who I have in mind, more or less.

It's a shame Kate Jackson came along in daytime when she did. She would've been perfect as a acerbic, no-nonsense, slightly neurotic "career woman," but I don't think soaps were writing those kinds of roles for women until she had already transitioned to primetime.

• Members

I think that could have worked, but he was painted as the epitome of charisma, movie star looks, etc. I don't think Robinson was that actor. He was very good though.

More on RH...

Ann Gillespie as Siobhan. Everything the role was not supposed to be.

Carrell Myers as Siobhan. I have no idea why she was hired. I tell myself some psychic knew Marg would be on China Beach with Dana Delaney a few years later, got confused, and cast a Dana lookalike.

• Members

Not that we knew much about Steven Lars. (I barely remember Reeves' predecessor, Shaun Benson.)

I've always felt Steven Lars (yes, I'm calling him "Steven Lars," get over it) should be more like his namesake grandfather, GH's original leading man and hero, Dr. Steve Hardy. Steve was an upstanding guy (not to mention, smolderingly sexy), but he also had a passion for his occupation (and for Audrey) that flared occasionally in moments of temper and frustration. IOW, Steve Hardy could be downright mercurial when he wanted to be, a sort-of combination of ATWT's Drs. Bob Hughes and John Dixon.

• Members

Definitely Amanda Baker as Babe. She had non of the charisma, talent, fire, or sex appeal that Alexa H did. Bland personified. Lauren Woodland would've been a much better choice. Sabine Singh as Greenlee was turrible too.

AMC also never got it quite right with Colby IMO. Ambyr Childers grew on me eventually, but the Brianne girl right after her was dreadful(how she lasted as long as she did, I'll never know), and the current one is just flat out annoying.

I loved Jennifer Bransford as Carly but look wise she was ALL wrong for the role and doomed from the start coming immediately after TB.

• Members

Unfortunately, ABC reportedly pressured Claire Labine & Paul Avila Mayer to replace him, because they believed he was too closely identified with his role in the movie "Dirty Harry." (I don't know who that line of thinking insults more: viewers, or actors like AR.)

• Members

He did say that people in the street knew him from Dirty Harry, I think, but I do wonder if that was just an excuse from ABC.

Karen Morris Gowdy as Faith

I would also say Justin Bruening as Jamie (too flat and boring - nothing going on underneath, when the role needed a strong vitality to offset that the character was a traditional young leading man)

Archived