Most miscast soap roles

• Members

Annie Parisse as Julia - she was too neurotic and twitchy to be a heroine, and she had no chemistry with Michael Park. Her turn to being a psycho was OTT and embarrassing. She would have been suited to roles like Quint's old girlfriend/frenemy Helena Manzini on GL.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ironically, when they drew up the list of potential replacements for Beverlee McKinsey as Alex, Marj Dusay was the one most everyone agreed would make a good successor.

Of course, I also remember thinking Judith McConnell would've made a good Alex, too.

• Members

Judith would have been a great Alex.

To be fair to Marj, she played Alex as written. Beverlee fought the writing, which was, aside from some nicely crafted monologues and one-liners, very poor for Alex as soon as JFP arrived. JFP was the death of Alexandra. Beverlee knew it, and wisely bailed.

• Members

*snort* Here I thought I'd get reamed over by a Nuke fan first. I guess I lost that bet.

Weirdest recast: Randolph Mantooth as Hal on ATWT. Just Mantooth's physical presence was a disconnect with who Hal was---a regular "everyman". I honestly can't even remember what Mantooth's Hal ever did.

• Members

If I had had my druthers:

Alexandra Spaulding von Halkein? Judith McConnell.

Amanda Spaulding? Nancy Lee Grahn.

Alan Spaulding? Nicolas Coster. (SaBa and Lionel/Sophia fans would have had a field day w/ that one, lol!)

Alan-Michael Spaulding? Rick Hearst (or Carl T. Evans, if we could have had him back)

Add GA's Phillip to that bunch, and you would have had a clan to rival the Quartermaines on GH.

• Members

Mantooth believably played the average joe on Loving/The City (at least after rewrites) but Hal should never have been recast. Ben was the character. It was because of him that Hal became more than a bit player.

• Members

I guess you could also say Toby Poser as Amanda, although she did a good job with the crap they gave her.

I don't know what GH had in mind when they cast the various Tom Hardy actors but they always seem weak or superfluous. When Matt Ashford came on there was not as much edge as I would have expected, considering he'd been doing a lot of difficult work in Africa, was supposed to have trauma, etc. If anything he seemed very fey.

• Members

But I LOVED Toby Poser's Amanda!!! So camp it was like she sprang out of the head of Reilly himself. I know its bad but I loved the Amanda/Alex sparring though there was no reason for it, Amanda never did anything to Alex so it made Alex once again look like a schreeching shrew. However, they did give Marj good one liners and she knows how to deliver them like a pro. And Carl I know you liked the first Amanda, but I HATED her, so whiney, so pale, so bland, so annoying. She was like Marland's template for Lily...poor little rich girl. Most likely Poser with her exotic looks would have been better cast as Vicki Spaulding...though of course it would have been Vicki Spaulding funneled through "Girls Gone Wild," or Diane Ballards illegit daughter, come back to make the Spauldings pay, tricking Alan into the sack, Alex hating her...okay, retread of when Blake first came to town but....

Archived