Old soap characters you wish you could see

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One Life To Live

Elaine Princi's Dorian Lord

John Loprieno's Cord Roberts (in the 80s)

Marcia Cross's Kate Roberts

Andrea Evans' Tina Lord Roberts (ORIGINAL RUN in the 80s)

Now THAT's a sequence I'd like to see. You GO Barbara! Payback's a BITCH Margo!!!

Scott Holmes WHO?

• Members

We NEED to keep this thread going. This is one of those threads where old-school soap viewers end up registering or posting their memories of the good old days of soaps. I salivate at the possibilities of some of these posts! :D

• Members

Thanks! It is interesting to see Peggy in this type of role. My first memory of her was when she played Iris Fairchild on General Hospital. That must have been early 70s. Iris was an alcoholic nurse who was having an affair with Lee Baldwin. His wife Meg was mentally unstable. I remember that the actress who played Meg also played Gomer Pyle's girlfriend, Lou Ann Poovy, close to the same time period!

Speaking of the early days of General Hospital, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jessie Brewer & her bad boy husband, Phil. Jessie was the show's heroine when I first started watching and continued to be so for a long time.

• Members

That is a bit surreal! Haila must have left the show right before I started watching it in the early 70s. It's my understanding that her character had been relegated to the background in her latter years on the show. That's too bad, she looks interesting.

• Members

I would have liked to have seen Janice Turner Whipple and her daughters Debbie and Alice on ATWT. I've read that before she became a saint, Nancy Hughes was pretty unkind to Janice when she became involved with her son, Don. Not sure about Nancy's relationship with the daughters. I know Janice died and the daughters disappeared. Had Helen Wagner's health permitted, I think it would have been an interesting twist had Reid Oliver been the son (or grandson, what with the floating ages of its characters) of one of the daughters. His rivalry with Bob could have then been on a personal level as well as professional as he could have been compensating for the way Nancy treated the Whipple family. Maybe have one of the daughters come back to Oakdale to revisit the rivalry with Nancy. Sorry, I got carried away...

I would have also liked to have seen Amy Tyler and Phil & Tara from AMC. It would have been fun to have seen Pine Valley at the beginning.

• Members

I'd like to see the Whipples too. I'd like to see any of Don's story as it sounds like the show struggled with writing for him.

I think Haila left in 1966 or 1967. She worked as a theater producer and spent more and more time in this role. Perhaps she also saw the writing on the wall.

Thanks for sharing your memories of Peggy on GH. I'd love to see this. Thanks to MST3K, I've seen a few early 60's GH episodes but more would be a treat. I think what I most want to see of that time period is the Audrey storyline about being raped by Tom Baldwin and the gun in the bathroom and the trial and all the other stuff. I'd also like to see the story Jessie had with Mark Hamill as her nephew.

I have an interview with Peggy from her LOL days I will post in the show's thread when I can find it.

• Members

AMC's Ellen. I was too young to remember her and never saw her in action. She hasnt appeared since she left in 1989 and has been somewhat of a lost character. I love Kathleen Noone following her SuBe run so it would have been great to see Ellen. Ditto on Mark except he made a few guest appearances after he exited

• Members

^^Very cool! If I may be so bold, Ms. Warrick looked even more beautiful with age (of course she had a little help ;) ). I'm fascinated by those switch operated shades.

Wait, so Edith was sleeping with her sister's brother? This gives whole new perspective to what the Phoebe/Amy connection must have been like for fans back then.

Another one:

-Sylvie Kosloff (Leora Dana) on AW. She was Iris' birth mother and there were subtle hints that she was a Jewess. Leora was a very well-respected actress, even garnering the nickname "the poor man's Helen Hayes".

Archived