Old soap characters you wish you could see

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd love to see Sylvie too.

And I really want to see Kit Vested or Charlotte Bauer on GL!

Ruth did look more beautiful with age but I like her look here. Normal but stylish. I also love her performance here, especially in the scene with Grandpa (no scene like that would be allowed on a soap now).

Edith was Chris Hughes' sister. She was in love with his unhappily married law partner, Jim Lowell. The affair ripped the two families apart. Irna Phillips planned for the two to get married and live happily ever after, but P&G balked. So Irna, being Irna, said f*** you to P&G by killing off Jim, who was a very popular character. Edith left town, but was so popular with fans that she made several holiday appearances through the 60's.

• Members

Gotcha, thanks for the info Carl, so Penny was just upset with her aunt because she was wrapped up in the scandal?

I would also like to see Iris' parade of New York/St. Tropez friends who came to Bay City... Therese, Tracy, et al. There is an episode at Paley where she overhears her house guest Sybil talking [!@#$%^&*] about her and she throws her out of the house. She then heads over to see Mac and ends up having a blowup with him. Louise tries to offer some helpful words and Iris looks at her incredulously and spits, "Don't. you. give. me. adviccce." A whirlwind of an episode for BM.

• Members

Penny idolized Edith, but beyond that, Edith's affair was with the father of Penny's best friend, Ellen.

Louise initially worked for/schemed with Iris, didn't she?

I have always thought the "Bye Bye Blackbird" scenes sounded very maudlin, but I would like to see them. I'd also love to see the early white trash characters like Madge and Lefty.

Speaking of Caroline McWilliams (Tracy), I wish I could see some of her GL run, especially the story with Roger.

• Members

Not sure exactly where the Laura the Phoenix storyline falls, but I've noticed Netflix has started streaming Dark Shadows episodes to watch instantly. I just checked and it looks like they have from the first episode Barnabas appeared in for the next 150 or so episodes.

Looks like there's a bit of Laura on YouTube also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usf94zTcEb8&feature=related

• Members

Laura's story begins a few months into the show. It's a good story, not so much for her (although she's OK) as for the affect she has on others, and for the psychologist brought in to investigate her. He's a good character and brings out the best in Victoria...something that can't be said for Barnabas or Burke.

• Members

For those of you who wanted to see David & Valerie from Days, here they are in 1976 (from Doug & Julie's wedding episodes). I liked them very much, it's a shame the show caved in to the bigots. On the show, I remember that Valerie's mother was the one who was against the pairing. She thought it would cause too much trouble for Valerie. Starting around :45.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tllzb1frrI&feature=related

• Members

Ruth Warrick was the first person to spring to mind when I saw the title of this thread, so thanks for that ATWT video, Carl! Ruth is so indelibly Phoebe to me, and IMO one of the best soap characters ever, so I was eager to see her in another soap role. (I've seen Citizen Kane, of course). Along the same lines, I'd love to have seen Beverlee McKinsey on Love is a Many Splendored Thing.

• Members

I remember a Bev episode on WOST a long time ago (she was cleaning her living room).

Thanks for the David and Val scenes.

I'd also like to see Sharon and Karl Duval from DAYS, to get a hint of exactly where that story would have gone.

The same is true for Joann Curtis on Y&R.

• Members

Yeah, I believe that and/or another of her eps has made it to YouTube. Albert Stratton aka Eric Kane plays her ex-husband. There is a great YouTube page with all of Beverlee's primetime appearances as well.

• Members

Here is one that I found of Scott Thomson Baker when he won Star Search. He looks so young and so hot. I miss him on daytime. He appears at the end when they announce the grand champion winners. He won the 1986 championship for best actor. Star Search found/discovered him and then he headed to daytime.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6v-nbz8rFYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Members

A film noir site I visit was having a love in on Jan Sterling and the number of knockout performances she delivered in 50's movies like Ace in the Hole. Anyone who knows her work will agree.

I would love to see her as Midred Foss on GL in the late 60's.

Archived