OLTL: Discussion for the week of June 13

• Members

I think there's a big part of today's OLTL writing which is the equivalent of a "family" sitcom writer who gets a thrill if they manage to add a damn or a hell into the script. There's always this look at me look at me, puerile desperation.

To be fair, this is true for a lot of TV, and other soaps (Y&R and GH do this a lot), but with OLTL it sticks with me more because I know that various soap journalists are likely to laud this as "soapy".

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The stuff with Tess and Ford was awful, but everything else was very good. LOVED Hilary B. Smith's performance and having Viki with Clint and Bo was a nice touch. It's nice seeing her interact with those characters more these days. The Gigi drama was well done, but the fallout is what I worry about. The initial fallout from the first part of the bullying story was weak. Especially when it comes to Jack. Whether Gigi dies or not, I need a HUGE fallout. If she DOES die it needs to be major for Jack and especially for Rex.

I hope these stories tie things up nicely and pave the way for lots of exits and hopefully better stories come fall. The show is in one of those bad stages right now.

• Members

I have never been a huge Gigi fan but I do not want to see her dead. If that is what happens, yes indeed, Jack & Co. need to pay BIG. there is no proper way around that. I'm not giving Todd any passes, but I feel like at least in the hands of RH he was a wounded/messed up person who did despicable things, and Jack is just a despicable little person. Not a layer of empathy.

• Members

I think a lot of the show is a disaster right now, and it's harrowing to consider that they would've continued with a lot of this had the show not been cancelled. I hope they start shuttering a lot of these stories soon and the spoilers turn more appealing, a la AMC's, although AMC had been [!@#$%^&*] for longer and is ending much sooner.

If they go forward with Ford and Jessica I'll be pretty disgusted. I can't imagine ending the show with them together, but it certainly looms large at this moment in time.

I also think it's stupid and cold-hearted to kill Gigi with the show going off the air. Why not rewrite it once the notice came down? There were other ways to spare Matthew and Clint - I hate to think of Shane being motherless and kicked off the show in the fall should JPL leave early. Austin Williams, Eddie Alderson, and to a lesser extent Kelley Missal and Shenell Edmonds are pretty much holding up the entire youth cast on their own.

• Members

Carlivati's got his own huge issues, though I think he's talented - this is the second rapemance he's masterminded, even if Frons "consulted" on the Ford invasion. I think RC thought he could ride through a lot of this [!@#$%^&*] with humor and make it palatable. That being said, Jean Passanante is one of the worst, most relentlessly vile showkillers I have ever encountered.

• Members

So I don't plan on watching the show on Soapnet, can someone tell me who's on today so I know what to lookup on youtube. You can skip Ford/Tess, I have no interest in it...

I have to wonder, what was the point of Todd scolding Jack and then never talking to him again...

Archived