Characters That Took Over Your Show

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mac and Billy? I'm surprised to read this. They certainly did get a lot of airtime (at some point, talking about them was all the story Katherine got) but I felt they were pretty well balanced with the rest of the cast.

I agree that J.T. and Brittany grew to be just as interesting (to me) as Billy and Mac, and Raul did as well.

• Members

GH: Jason, Carly, Courtney, Michael, and Dante- I don't think I've watched in episodes of GH in the past five years that didn't have Laura Wright smirking and screaming like a banshee and Steve Burton looking constipated and blinking and before Laura Wright, Tamara Braun and Sarah Brown were on every damn day too; Dante has been in every [!@#$%^&*] story and on every day since he got to town, the constant Courtney propping and having every man fawn over her went on for years, and like someone else said, Michael has been dominating stories since he was conceived

PC: Ian- made even worst by the fact that they trashed Lucy & Kevin and then proceeded to make Kevin psycho and crazy all to prop Ian

DAYS: Melanie

AMC: Kendall, Zach, Greenlee, and Ryan- There no words, these four and their constant airtime are probably the ones that led AMC off the cliff

• Members

At the time I did feel like they were overexposed, although that might have been because I disliked the characters, how other people like Jill were written around them, the tired cliches they wallowed in, and I wasn't crazy about the actors either. I stopped watching the show regularly because of that story.

Looking back now, especially with the hideous Chompers orgy of the last few years, I see it wasn't so bad.

• Members

Again though Jill (nor anyone else) was thrown under the bus for them & as cliche as the pairing (rich boy/poor girl) was it was redeemed by extremely good writing.

And as far as the acting? It's a crime that Tom & Bashioum don't have as many Emmy's as Jonathan Jackson & Jennifer Finnigan.

• Members

Good God hated Lucy, but the one who ate up the entire friggen show was her father, Buzzard Cooper. JFP fired Ellen Parker to not only free up money for Deas but also to steer the show away from the Bauers to focus on the Coopers, a mistake the plaqued the show until it went to its grave. During the first few year we would have endless scenes of sexy Nadine and hot Jenna chasing after the little gnome king, endless scenes of him talking about leaving town, hell the second or third Fifth street fire was all about Buzz, as we watched JD chew up all the scenery as they whored him out for another emmy.

At least Dinah was fun, smart, sarcastic and tied to Ross and Van and the rest of the core.

• Members

I forgot about Buzz. You're right. He also pushed me away - I tuned back in for the Fifth Street Fire and an entire episode had him yelling on a roof.

Dinah was that way sometimes but in 1996 they mostly focused on making her a long-suffering heroine and pushing Vanessa off the show. Shudder.

• Members

At the time I felt like Tom did a lot of hamming (although again, not as much as Miller) and Bashioum...I really liked her when she first started but then Mackenzie was so depressed all the time that I felt sad even watching her.

I don't know if I'd feel the same way now. It's just how I felt at the time. I always wished they had waited longer before pushing the romance story.

• Members

David didn't really get hammy until the last few months. Prior to that he was bank.

Fair enough.

But she (more often than not) had valid reason to be depressed & her eventual happiness was actually a fairly realistic (and really well written) story.

They did.

Archived