Would u Watch A New AMC Or OLTL

• Members

P&G has always refused to sell it's soaps or their characters. They wouldn't even sell partial shares to the networks that aired them. Jim Romanovich wanted to make a new version of Guiding Light with newbies, he never wanted to take the show as it was, even if P&G were willing to sell it that way.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I don't see the problem with a spin-off and think they're foolish not to have accepted that offer. A spin-off focusing on the younger generation would give the adults opportunity for guest spots and if successful the show could pave the way for futher soap spin-offs.

I think Agnes Nixon needs to look at all the talk surrounding Susan Lucci and get Lorraine Broderick or somebody to develop a primetime spin-off starring Erica Kane. It could focus on her, her daughters (with Erica/Jack in a supporting role) in a new city with a new premise. This way you lose the baggage, it's cheap and accessible to new viewers. They're never going to move these soaps to another network. A spin-off is the only option, yet with OLTL/AMC it's the only option never mentioned.

When ABC announced they were looked for low cost scripted ideas, why didn't anyone at AMC or OLTL JUMP on that?

• Members

In the grander scheme of things, I'm ready for the shows to just end. If no one in charge was ready to get radical to save these shows when they still had a chance, then I wouldn't expect them to do it now.

The only post-cancellation thing I ever felt strongly about was the idea of continuing ATWT as a series of TV movies that would air maybe once or twice a year. They could start with one, see how it does, and if it's successful, keep doing them until they no longer are. Each movie could have two or three major storylines, sometimes interconnected, sometimes not, and the stories would be entirely self-contained with a definite beginning, middle, and end. There would have been a strong effort to attract longtime fans of the show while also piquing the interest of people who might not be familiar with the characters and their histories but would still enjoy the stories just the same. And, of course, it'd all air on Hallmark. To me, they are the only cable network that could have successfully did something with the P&G soaps (besides producing them as regular shows).

I can't really think of something like that that would fit AMC and OLTL.

• Members

Well I loved The City and remember its last 6 months it was the only ABC soap at the time that had growing ratings, while the others were fading (OK growing VERY VERY slowly, but...)

I dunno. At least for AMC, which I really will miss most, I might give it a chance. If I had faith in the staff behind it--Agnes somehow involved, etc--then yeah I prob would. But it obviously wouldn't be remotely the same.

• Members

I might check out a revamped AMC, but it wouldn't be the same. All those fans pleading with cable channels, Oprah, or whoever to take the soaps seem to miss that the budget would have to be slashed 50-75% (or worse) for the new entity to be able to afford it, on top of whatever license ABC would charge them. That means almost all the veterans would be dropped and probably half the newbies as well. And the show would probably be shortened to a half hour and maybe be shown once a week. And they would probably have to get all new writers and producers. It would no longer be "our" show, but something entirely different, especially if it weren't on 5 days a week.

• Members

That's the next question that no one seems to want to ask or answer. Once the shows get "saved" then what? What changes are people willing to accept? And once enough changes are made it becomes a new show any way so why not cancel and start over? You'd be better off starting a new show and letting it find its own audience.

Archived