Ringer: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I LOVED IT!!! I can't wait to see this unfold over a period of time. It reminded me of a classic primetime soap, but from the 60s. It was well produced as well! I loved the retro-modern look and the Hitchcock influence was strong. I know they got a lot of flak for the scenes on the boat, but I thought they were meant to look that way and I LOVED it! This show is just like one of those old Hitchcock films which seem to be in their own little world, even though it's set in the real world. Does that make sense?

I hope the ratings pick up and that it can stick around for a long, long time!

• Members

Wasn't sure at first I was going to like it, but half-way through I was hooked! Very nice! Can't wait to see the next episode. I hope it's not a typical schizophrenic CW show, like 90210. And speaking of, Ringer seems to have that same loud ambient background audio that 90210/Gossip Girl suffers from. Must be a CW thing.

• Members

This scored a 2.7 million viewer rating last night. Which is actually quite good for the CW (still not as strong as several other CW premieres though). However it's demos (18-34) were weak only a 1.6 in the coveted spot which is the same rating Melrose Place hit in the demo two years ago which caused the network to have a breakdown. The CW's ratings are in a worse place now though so I think as long as the show doesn't bleed too many viewers the show will stay a float and be somewhat stable.

• Members

I think pairing it with 90210 is a mistake, but I'm not sure what else they could pair it with (I'd say Nikita but that's hardly a steller performer). It seems like they wanna both target girls, and a more male fanbase I suppose hoping SMG and the Buffy thing will bring them in (don't get me wrong, Buffy had a huge female fanbase, but...) The soapiness aspect might turn away some more hard core sci fi/fantasy fans (though of course Buffy and Angel got pretty soapy, but they had the tongue in cheek humour aspect).

Anyway, I finally watched it and I liked it much more than I expected. So much cliched dialogue and actions (ie answering the phone, listening to what they say and then hanging up before replying, and why didn't she burn the letter they found in the locker?) but I didn't mind that as the whole thing ffeels like a modern hommage to those great old Noir films centered around a woman and questions of identity like Laura. Similarly some of the visuals (ie the Indian heads on her building mirroring the face of the killer she witnessed, and all the mirrors) are heavy handled symbol wise, but work.

Like I said, I can see some finding it too self serious, but that's part of the genre as I see it--so yeah I liked it quite a bit. My main fear with any show like this is how they can keep it interesting over several seasons--or even one season. It has a great setup for a pilot, and then who knows...

• Members

Vampire Diaries has it too...

Prety sure it was coke--K isn't usually snorted out of those weird little party thingies. Not that I'd know :P (Plus havign someone hooked on K on a tv show would make for pretty boring tv--not the drama and over heightened coke thing)

You'd think after being so careful to cover her tracks she would have known better to loudly blurt out "I'm pregnant" with others home... :P

The Paris thing was ruined in one of the extended trailers the CW released. Grrrr.

• Members

Some blogs have been saying that the Buffy fans let Sarah Michelle Gellar down by not tuning in to watch Sarah's new show and I couldn't agree less with that point. Buffy in it's final season averaged about 3.6 million viewers when it left air waves in 2003. It's been eight years since then and her new show debuted to a 2.8 million viewer reception. I would definitely call that keeping your audience (78% of her former audience tuned into to give her new show a chance), she had one hell of a hiatus from television but only lost around eight hundred thousand viewers from 03 to present. Without Gellar's name recognition I doubt it would have done as well as it did.

But I guess we will see how Ringer stacks up when The CW premieres The Secret Circle (Charmed Redux) and Hart Of Dixie (Fake Scrubs/Grey's Anatomy medical comedy).

The boat scene with the two Sarah's is getting some major flack on blogs, twitter, etc.

• Members

Yeah, and to be fair I don't think Buffy fans owe it to Sarah to watch--I'm glad I watched and will keep onw atching for now, but I didn't bother going to Scooby Doo, for example...

Skin have you seen Secret Circle it's very different from Charmed--it's much more Vampire Diaries with Witches--and good. I never got the Charmed love though I admit--it felt like bad camp to me.

Ohthat boat scene did look really odd--I assume it was done in studio? but i didn't really mind as I assumed it was meant to have an unrealistic dreamlike look.

• Members

This bit from the review at Ent Weekly is hilariously spot on (and maybe why I kinda enjoyed it despite shaking my head so much--I love DePalma's campy over the top thrillers like Dressed to Kill):

So SMG returned to television last night in the new CW thriller Ringer. I know I already compared it to Buffy, but it actually is much more akin to a Brian DePalma movie. It’s a little Hitchcock, a little soap opera, and a lot over the top. The premiere episode is far from perfect, but I think it lays enough ground work and suspense to keep watching. Plus, the lead character has a giant, wall-size photo of herself in her living room a la Sigourney Weaver in Working Girl. That is something you just have to respect.

• Administrator

I can see why CBS decided to move it to the CW instead. It's too serialized and soapy for the Crime Broadcasting System.

I think Gemma is helping Siobhan too - at first I thought she called her there because she found out about the affair and hired a hitman.

So Bridget is using Siobhan's identity to get away from her problems, while Siobhan is using Bridget to get away from her problems! I love it! LOL And it's so soapy with Siobhan having an affair with her friend's husband - and now she's pregnant. So now Bridget has to pretend she's pregnant. What a fun show to watch!

• Members

I liked it and disliked it at the same time, if that makes any sense. I felt it was almost there, but there were parts that were truly ridiculous. And don't get me started on that boat scene. The production values for that little stinker were jaw-droppingly bad. No excuses for this.

Archived