ALL: Soaps "Jump The Shark" Moment

• Members

Even the most conservative soap usually has a moment where they go too far. You know...that moment where even the most diehard fan of the show says "that's ridiculous". My all-time favorite show was "As The World Turns", largely because it was grounded in reality, but even it went too far once several times. I remember when Duncan McKechnie's crazy ex-wife Lillith supposedly killed his great love Shannon. Lillith sent Duncan a box that contained ...wait for it... Shannon's shrunken head. I can still see Duncan holding this kewpie doll head crying "Oh, my wee lassie!" At that moment, I'm sure thousands of ATWT fans threw their hands up in the air, going Whaaaaaat?

What was that moment that happened on your soap that was just TOO ridiculous to believe?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Soaps have mini-jump the shark moments all the time, but sometimes the definitive one comes along from which there's no return. On AMC it has to be the unabortion. It was just so OTT inane, carelessly disregarded the show's history, and shamelessly reversed a milestone in daytime television. There are just no words, and whoever greenlit that, whether it was JHC, Frons, or someone higher up the food chain, should've been fired PRONTO. I'd say that was one of the biggest JTS moments ever in all of daytime, if not THE biggest. On Y&R, also agree about Kay and Jill. On OLTL, it's the whole Jess-Tess-Bess-Wes mess IMO. On RH, that would've been the introduction of the Kirklands. These big flops that do tremendous damage to the show's identity and-or reinvent history are the JTS moments.

• Members

One of mine is when Orlena played by Lynn Milgrim is hanging on a tree vein about to fall. The scene looked so fake and chessy....lol. It was in Malta where it all took place. Another jump the shark moment was when Orlena jumpind off the roof.....lol.....Orlena was evil played by Claire Bloom but became a cartoon with Lynn in the role.

• Members

For me, these are/were the most definitive jump the shark moments that show never recovered from:

AW: Frankie Frame's murder

ATWT: The death of Jennifer Munson

B&B: The death of Darlene Conley, the show's been unwatchable ever since

Days:Hmm... Tropical Island Temptation or whatever the hell it was in 2001 is a good starting point.

GL: Hiring Conboy and Weston

SFT: The move to NBC

Y&R: Cassie's death and the hiring of Latham

• Members

GUIDING LIGHT: Was it Maureen Bauer's death? No. GL had lost tent-pole characters before (Leslie, for one) and survived. Was it when MADD labeled Michael Zaslow (Roger) a "wizened old man" and basically forced the ailing actor off the series for good? It certainly brought bad karma to the show, but it also happened off-screen. No, I'd say GL's JTS moment has to be the Maryanne Caruthers "mystery." Before MAC, I never believed one story could rewrite established (meaning, on-screen) history while simultaneously pilfering from it...but that's exactly what this pastiche to the Lake Elizabeth, Barbados, Miss Piper and about a dozen other classic GL stories did. And not a lick of it made any sense, character-wise, or even adhered to simple addition. (I still would like to know how 1977-2004 is "over 30 years.")

This.

Archived