ALL: Soaps "Jump The Shark" Moment

• Members

That sums up my relationship with GUIDING LIGHT perfectly. From 1982 to 1995, I couldn't have been more diehard as a fan. Then, Megan McTavish, who'd chased me away from AMC with her heartless and gimmicky stories, became GL's headwriter. I bowed out just as Nola had returned, b/c the idea that Quint had cheated on her was just about all I could take after Brent/Marion, Amanda as the "Malibu Madam," and every other unspeakable horror MMT had foisted onto the show. After that, I'd return sporadically between '96/'97 and 2007, but I never was as committed to it as I had been before. I'd tune back in almost by accident, then flee again at the first sign of terror, lol.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer fetus. :-)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is how I felt when Sherry Stringfield, then Beverlee McKinsey, then Ellen Parker, all left (or were fired, in Ellen's case). Beth Ehlers going made it even worse. Add in Justin Deas overacting 5 days a week and the arrival of annoying ciphers like Lucy, and I started to lose interest. The sad thing is I actually got back into GL when McTavish started...I enjoyed it for about 5-6 months. 1996 was hell and I tuned out again, but started up again when Rauch and then B&E started. In and out and in and out. I gave up for good when Ben Reade was made a serial killer and Reva's greasy son showed up yelling all his lines.

I did for some reason manage to stay with the show longer than I did with ATWT...I had such an idealistic view of what ATWT was supposed to be that I struggled with anything beyond that. The wretched Hogan Sheffer finally drove me away once and for all until I knew ATWT was going to be canceled and I came back for the last year or so.

• Members

Soap Opera Digest - June 7th 1983

Critics Corner by John Kelly Genovese

As The World Turns

As recently as a year ago, "As The World Turns" was a show in search of itself. Close observers of the soap business had never thought they would see the day that ATWT - once the most viewed and talked about soap on television - joined the ranks of its floundering, low-rated neighbors.

Fortunately, Proctor & Gamble recognized the potential of what had been for so long their flagship soap, and implemented two of the wisest decisions the company has ever made to date. The first was the hiring of Mary-Ellis Bunim, a determined new executive producer who had come up through the ranks on "Search for Tomorrow" to that same position. Their second move was the rehiring of Bridget and Jerome Dobson, the imaginative head writers who had helped bring this once stagnant show into the twentieth century without damaging its continuity.

The show still has a few annoying flaws (and what show doesn't), all having to do with unevenness. For an hour-long show, ATWT tends to overplay its front-burner stories to the point where back-burner characters are almost totally neglected. Kathryn Hays (Kim) and Anne Sward (Lyla) are far too attractive and vital as performers to merely play mother hen to Betsy and Craig (played by two dynamos, Meg Ryan and Scott Bryce).

We are relieved, however, to see that Don Hastings (featured as Dr. Bob Hughes for thirteen years) is being better utilized - though still not as well as he should be. Hughes is the unifying force of the show - head of the hospital, closest confidante to David and Ellen (Henderson Forsythe and Patsy Bruder), ex to Lisa (Eileen Fulton), father of Tom (Justin Deas), stepfather to Barbara (Colleen Zenk), adversary to John (played by the unbeatable Larry Bryggman), etc. Now that Bob's parents, Nancy and Chris (Helen Wagner and Don MacLaughlin) have been so shabbily dismissed, Bob Hughes should be put to even better use as an all knowing link to every storyline.

Versatility is the key word in Oakdale these days, for on the whole there is more variation and freshness on ATWT than ever. Romance is paramount, as evidenced by the couplings of stormy Tom and Margo (Justin Deas and Margaret Colin), star-crossed Steve and Betsy (Frank Runyeon and Meg Ryan), and bigger-than-life Barbara and Gunnar (Colleen Zenk and Hugo Napier). The antagonists, such as John Dixon (Larry Bryggman), James Stenbeck (Anthony Herrera) and Karen (Kathy McNeil, another individualistic young talent) are all involved in delightful cross-blackmail schemes which affect practically every storyline on the show. And it is all carried off with a blend of quiet family drama, fast-moving action sequences (which have regained plausibility since that silly "Mr. Big" drug syndicate caper), and a unique, understated brand of character humor long gone from the other soaps. Everyone is allowed playful one-liners on this show, from the comical "nerd" Ernie (Marshall Watson) to flighty Lisa (Eileen Fulton) to previously staid Ellen Stewart (Patsy Bruder).

This unique marriage of fun and urgency, along with tight story construction, have always been the Dobson's fortes in their previous stints on "General Hospital" and "Guiding Light." However, never before have they achieved the balance or the unity they imbue into "As the World Turns". There is more movement in their episodes now, with more characters used in each episode. And, most importantly, they have given ATWT a sense of community missing from their other shows. All of the characters know each other and interact on a regular basis, even if their storyline crossover is minimal. And the characters never stagnate - they grow, evenly and naturally. Margo's new perspective as a policewoman, John's as a prison doctor, and Steve's stronger sense of self-worth have advanced these characters without ever detracting from the other traits which have made them unique. Margo is still a hothead, John is still obnoxious and Steve is still sullen around the edges.

By the time this goes to press, the Dobson's will have been replaced by John Saffron and Elizabeth Levin, capable former sub-writers for "All My Children." Given "As the World Turns" history, its grasp on characterization and good suspense (who else but Dixon could surface at his "own" murder trial?), and the smashing new sets by Lloyd Ranney Evans (formerly of "Love of Life" and the Metropolitan Opera), Saffron and Levin are inheriting a gem of a soap - perhaps the only one.

• Members

That's an interesting writeup about ATWT. I thought Eileen Fulton was gone by mid-1983.

I wouldn't call what I've seen of the Dobsons' GL "fun." The only comic relief characters were Katie and Floyd, and they arrived fairly late in the Dobsons run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It was.

Jill & Katherine were pretty much joined at the hip & Michael (along with everyone else) was sacrificed for Kevin's "redemption"

Yep (though by that point Jack was pretty much running things).

Pretty much.

Y&R's balance pretty much went out of the window once Ed left & once Smith took over what was left of the show's balance was completely gone as stunts totally replaced story.

Archived