Dorothy Lyman or Jill Larson

• Members

Okay, so I've seen Dorothy Lyman in the role and I have seen Jill Larson since day one. Ms. Lyman was pretty damn entertaining, and I was wondering would any AMC fan love to see her come back and play Tad's mama, or at this point is Jill Larson pretty much the actress best associated with Opal?

Erik

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was a regular watcher of AMC back when Lyman debuted and I saw most, if not all, of her tenure whereas I haven't seen many years of Larson's version. The thing is that Opal wasn't a very nice person at first. I think the closest comparison would be early Roxanne on OLTL. The comedy lay in the outrageous appearance and "trailer trash" behavior but the characters did some pretty selfish and reprehensible things where their children were concerned. You laughed at Lyman's Opal for her appearance and mannerisms but wanted to wring her neck for basically pimping out her daughter by making her work at a sleazy dive wearing a skimpy costume and wanting to live off Jenny's modelling career. She was mean and bigoted (IIRC she kept calling Jesse "black boy" or some similar name). It wasn't until later that her nastiness was diluted. Seems to me Larson's Opal was totally devoid of that mean streak and also wasn't as conniving as Opal. Larson's Opal always came off to me as more of a dingbat.

I don't watch AMC anymore but my mother does so I still see bits and pieces of it but I have to say I did prefer Lyman's version. Hard for me to picture her Opal being so whiny and wishy-washy with Palmer. She'd have eaten him alive. Larson's Opal seemed over her head in her battles with him. But that's my limited viewing of the show while she's been there so maybe it's not accurate.

• Members

Dorothy Lyman was an original. Totally outrageous and OTT. She was so memorable and so hysterical. Larson, who I think is the better actress, took a more subtle, low-key approach, which actually fit perfectly with the more intentional supporting nature of the character when they brought the her back in 1989. When AMC relocated to LA and Larson was still recurring and not asked to move at that point, there was talk of them trying to get Lyman back. Sure, it would've been cool to see the more outrageous Opal again, but I think it would've been a slap in the face to Larson, who's always seemed like a real team player. So, the better actress I think is Larson, but the more fun to watch is Lyman.

• Members

I never knew they were thinking of asking Lyman again. They should ask her to be a new character. She's changed a lot.

That reminds me of when Dorothy was interviewed in the late 90s and she said her hair was grey, and long and straight, yet when she went out one day, someone said, "Is that you Opal?"

• Members

Exactly. I love Jill Larson but I think it's a Robin Strasser/Victoria Wyndham-type situation. Tried and true beloved long-running replacement, iconic and unforgettable original.

Not so much anymore, but JL's dithering line delivery really used to get on my nerves, I liked how DL shot from the hip. JL is more kooky, DL, hell on wheels. I think DL was definitely a more exciting Opal, JL, a solid, entertaining supporting player.

I wish that "Vote for Opal Gardner" clip was still up on YouTube.

• Members

I've rarely seen Dorothy in dramatic roles (I've seen a little of her work as non-crazy Gwen Frame but it is kind of dull). I wonder how she would have done in the Adrian story. Jill's work there was some of the finest I've ever seen.

• Members

Dorothy also had a recurring role on Life Goes On as mother to the AIDS-stricken Jesse, played by Chad Lowe. She did fine with it but it, too, was basically a straight role that didn't require much range. She was just there to be a support for her son.

Dorothy always reminded me of Polly Holliday. They both gained fame playing these sort of sassy, outrageous characters (PH as Flo on Alice) and when you see them in dramatic roles, they look totally different and play much more subdued, sort of unremarkable characters.

Archived