Soap actors/kids grow up on screen

• Members

I think they got rid of him as another excuse to phase out the Dillons. They had no story after his firing, aside from the #$(*#U*(#&$)*(@&)(*#$ giant candy cane.

AMC does not want to commit to any teens, except for dead weight like Colby.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved seeing Kimberly J. Brown return as Marah briefly in 2006 (right after Reva's cancer, right?) but yes, the thought of that lil girl shagging the dirty D.A. just seems like child molestation.

We saw those 2 zombie-like boys play Sami & Lucas's son Will on DAYS from the time they were just out of the womb in late 1995 to some time in 2002.

Too bad we didn't get to enjoy Hayden Panettierre longer as GL's Lizzie, but she was destined for stardom.

• Members

I liked Hayden but I also thought she was a little too rehearsed and sickly cute. But that type of thing is what seems to get you stardom. Eventually I grew to like her replacement and I wish they hadn't recast her.

I also liked the first Tammy, Katie Sagona, she seemed like such a real child and even though she wasn't a great actress she wasn't bad. Stephanie Gaschet I never really warmed to - perhaps she was better after I quit during the early Jammy stuff.

• Members

Hayden was way too cutie pieish for me. I know this is like sacriledge but I never liked Buffington and thought he needed to be recast...only not with that boring blond dude that lisped and couldn't act. I also felt that Rachel Minor needed to be eventually recast...I think they just did it too soon. She was way too tied to Maureen and the death so the replacement with a blond sunny cheerleader was jarring to say the least. I know that probably was one of the reasons that she was replaced, to distance themselves from this mistake. I know people loved her and she is a good actress but Miner, uh, didnt grow into her looks that well. But again, maybe it was just a bad recast, they brought in Nola at the same time so they should have had Chelle staying with her Aunt Nola for a while and then come back a goth kind of chick or something a little darker then the fluffy girl Budig played.

Never got the Gaschet thing. I see her on AMC now and she is very pretty, and they have given her a personality, but on GL she came off as so monotone, weak, shallow and boring. She had this weird history and then her first sexual experience is being tricked into it by her skanky but hot cousin, and they just act like she is the girl next door.

I HATED all Coopers but during the Holly kidnapping thing they had a Marina who looked real, like she had too big of an eyebrow and her head was too big but she looked like a kid and she was kind of surely and annoying like her grandfather. They should have kept her.

• Members

They aged Marina way too quickly. (Of course, nobody beats the ridiculous of Leah Bauer, but I digress...) I'm surprised though that at some point, people actually *cared* about Frank Cooper. I know he was in a popular triangle with Eleni and Alan-Michael in the early 90's, but I always found him so dull and dorky.

• Members

I think firing Rachel Miner was one of JFP's last decisions. I really loved her work as Michelle and I thought she was very believable as Ed's and Maureen's daughter. It didn't help that in those years so many of my favorites had gone, so I took it badly at the time. Now I can see, well, people need to be recast sometimes, but casting Budig, who was just sort of there, I think was a mistake (although she was better than NSA).

I also liked the boy who played Ben Reade - he was such a believable child actor.

And then on ATWT, Scott Defrietas sort of grew up onscreen, although he was cast when he was about 14 or 15. I will never understand why he was fired, especially considering that at the time ATWT's only leading man in that age range was the wooden and worthless Kasnoff brothers.

I liked Frank with Eleni and Blake, especially Blake. I thought he was a nice guy, quiet, funny, a good supporting leading man, the type soaps hate now.

• Members

I know soaps are generally praised when they let soap actors/kids grow up onscreen but I for one understand the need for recast/soras and I welcome it.

Just because you were a cute kid, doesn't make you a good looking teen/adult.

I might be impressed with a kid's acting because I'm more lenient with kids but it's not that cute when they grow up and their acting talent stays the same as when they were 6.

I also think the writing for these characters are even more limited than usual due to the fact that the roles are played by someone the audience watched grow up. TPTB tends to put a halo on these characters instead of giving them some actual depth and layers.

A prime example of this is Kristen Alderson who IMO should've been recast years ago with a better, more adult looking actress and by adult I mean someone who doesn't look 12.

Getting rid of Dylan Cash and recasting Michael on GH was the right decision IMO.

That kid was annoying and fugly when he was a child so I can only immagine how he would've come across as a teenage/adult Michael *shudder*

• Members

The problem with this is you often get bad results, especially with actresses. Maxie was recast once, very unsuccessfully, and then again with Kristen Storms, who is - at best - all over the place and is rarely used outside of being a plot device. Carrie was recast unsuccessfully on DAYS. Then there's OLTL, which was smart to not get rid of Erin Torpey (even though JFP wanted to) because as soon as Bree Williamson came in, the character lost any warmth, intelligence, or purpose, and now exists solely to delve into the sicko Tess fantasies of those at ABC Daytime.

• Members

I think Colby on AMC is right up when it comes ridiculous SORAS. She aged about 10 years over one year, although she was off-screen for that year, which makes it a bit more palatable. I guess the character under Hall seems to have found some sort of footing, but I wonder if the original actress didn't work out somewhat because the SORAS-ing was absurb. Of course McTavish's terrible writing and the amateurish actress didn't help much.

• Members

I think what made Leah Bauer's SORASing so jarring was that it just didn't make sense with the timeline of all the characters involved: Rick, Phillip, Harley, and all their existing children.

DAYS' selective aging of having Belle (born in 1993), Shawn (born in 1987), and Phillip (born in 1995) the same age, while Brady (born in 1992) was older than any of them, was strange, but given their parents' age, it worked better than GL's.

• Members

I never understood the purpose of aging her so much. As stupid as the whole thing was I could understand why storywise they de-aged Daisy, but what did Leah do after she became 15 or 16?

It's interesting though that so many of the male characters on soaps who were there from birth, or close to birth, were never played by actors who stayed in the role for the duration. Bob Hughes, Mike and Ed Bauer, Phillip and Rick, JR Chandler, etc.

• Members

With GL's Leah she was SORAS it was jarring because it was done so quickly. Usually shows wait more than 2-3 years to age a baby even in the case of Days. Plus unlike some of the others, the older children were never aged at all. Jude aka Leah's older brother, was now under 10 years old. So now Rick cheated on Mel during their marriage... The out of order SORASing on GL was one of my major pet peeves in the last few years as there was no good reason for it. Daisy and James being a couple is not a good reason, and was disgusting as even if they weren't blood related though at one time Daisy saw James as her baby brother. YUCK!

I thought Rachel Miner was a P&G decision not a GL decision as at the same time ATWT got rid of Pete Wendell aka Jason Biggs (best known for American Pie)...

ETA: OT: According to an article in SOD (GL cover with Phillip and Beth), Sherry Stringfield originally tried out to be Frank's love interest Dana and when she got the call, she thought she got that job. It is 100% understandable that they had chemistry (Frank D and Sherry).

• Members

Rachel Miner was FIRED by then incoming EP Michael Laibson. I remember him bragging to one of the soap rags at the time about how the time had come to "mature" the role and give her more "appropriate stories." It was one his first big moves on the show.

Say what you want about JFP's later years or the Rauch years after, but I never thought Laibson understood GL at all in his short run and I can see why he was fired after only like a year there.

Archived